Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to avoid giving I tunes my credit card info ...

How to avoid giving I tunes my credit card info ...

Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks to those who offered relevant observations. I doubted there
> was a way to get around giving out credit card info ... but you never
> know until you ask. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I
> may have missed something on the Itunes web page ...or whatever.
>
> I suspect Apple's idea of getting a credit card is that it makes it
> easy to buy from I tunes (after all, a song is only a buck) ... and
> easy to lose track of how many bucks you are spending -- an Ipod will
> hold a couple of thousand tunes.
>
> My complaint is not the practice, but that the free games were held
> out as an inducement to my son and the fact of needing a credit card
> was witheld from us during the purchase process. Had we known,
> we'd not have bought.
>
> Oh ... to the smart ass who wondered how we can go out for dinner
> without using a credit card. We have credit cards ... and we use
> them appropriately. We don't consider setting up what would amount
> to an unlimited credit account for a 15 year old to be an appropriate
> use.
>
> ken

Do you have a PayPal account? You might want to look into it because
they offer secure online cards with single-use numbers. You can give the
number to Apple, and it will never work again after the first time.

This feature is associated with the PayPal plug-in, but you can also
access it from the PayPal site if you don't want to install the plug-in.
(I learned about this alternative when I got exasperated with the
plug-in's performance.)

If this is seems to be an option for you, post back, and I'll paste in
the instructions PayPal gave me.

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will
scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will
refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something
which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he
will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is
explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

sittingduck

Lookout wrote:

>>Do you have a PayPal account? You might want to look into it because
>>they offer secure online cards with single-use numbers. You can give the
>>number to Apple, and it will never work again after the first time.
>>
>>This feature is associated with the PayPal plug-in, but you can also
>>access it from the PayPal site if you don't want to install the plug-in.
>>(I learned about this alternative when I got exasperated with the
>>plug-in's performance.)
>>
>>If this is seems to be an option for you, post back, and I'll paste in
>>the instructions PayPal gave me.

> Ya...and we've never heard about PayPal problems, have we?

Many credit card companies will let you generate virtual account numbers.
They all offer fraud protection as well, but some people are too ****ing
stupid or paranoid to rely on it.

--
http://improve-usenet.org
No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and

Top

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> On Thu, 07 May 2009 21:16:16 -0600, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >Got my son an Ipod Touch. Salesman at Best Buy said a bunch of the
> >games are free ... just grab em when you register your I Touch.
> >
> >Kid goes to Itunes to register ... Apple asks for his credit card
> >information. Kid is 15. Doesnn't have a credit card.
> >
> >No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
> >credit card.
> >
> >Do I take the beast back to Best Buy ... ask them why they neglected
> >that little piece of information .... or is there a way to get the
> >free downloads from ITunes without a credit card.
> >
> >Right now I'm feeling very angry at Apple and Best Buy.
> >
> >Any help appreciated.
> >
> >Ken

> Which is why I don't have an Ipod. To get it to work, you can only get
> music from itunes, via credit card.
> And any time you want something from itunes, a credit card is
> required.
>
> While it may be mp3 stuff, the only way you can use itunes supplied
> stuff is through their licensing crapola. Now if they mention that to
> the sucker, I mean customer, the sucker ain't gonna buy.
>
> Just get yourself a regular mp3 player that isn't connected to apple.

I load CDs into my iPhone ipod equiped phone all the time. My son loads
his CDs into his IPOD with no problems. If you don't have one you
certainly don't know what they can or can't do. But then you are the
chronic dumbass.

Top

Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

Lookout wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sat, 9 May 2009 09:15:37 -0500, "Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Thanks to those who offered relevant observations. I doubted there
>>> was a way to get around giving out credit card info ... but you
>>> never know until you ask. I'm not the sharpest knife in the
>>> drawer and I may have missed something on the Itunes web page ...or
>>> whatever.
>>>
>>> I suspect Apple's idea of getting a credit card is that it makes it
>>> easy to buy from I tunes (after all, a song is only a buck) ... and
>>> easy to lose track of how many bucks you are spending -- an Ipod
>>> will hold a couple of thousand tunes.
>>>
>>> My complaint is not the practice, but that the free games were held
>>> out as an inducement to my son and the fact of needing a credit
>>> card was witheld from us during the purchase process. Had we known,
>>> we'd not have bought.
>>>
>>> Oh ... to the smart ass who wondered how we can go out for dinner
>>> without using a credit card. We have credit cards ... and we use
>>> them appropriately. We don't consider setting up what would amount
>>> to an unlimited credit account for a 15 year old to be an
>>> appropriate use.
>>>
>>> ken

>> Do you have a PayPal account? You might want to look into it because
>> they offer secure online cards with single-use numbers. You can give
>> the number to Apple, and it will never work again after the first
>> time.
>>
>> This feature is associated with the PayPal plug-in, but you can also
>> access it from the PayPal site if you don't want to install the
>> plug-in. (I learned about this alternative when I got exasperated
>> with the plug-in's performance.)
>>
>> If this is seems to be an option for you, post back, and I'll paste
>> in the instructions PayPal gave me.

> Ya...and we've never heard about PayPal problems, have we?

I've never had a problem with PayPal, except that their toolbar is a
POS.

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will
scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will
refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something
which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he
will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is
explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

Kenneth

On Fri, 08 May 2009 15:02:07 -0600, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Thanks to those who offered relevant observations. I doubted there
>was a way to get around giving out credit card info ... but you never
>know until you ask. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I
>may have missed something on the Itunes web page ...or whatever.
>
>I suspect Apple's idea of getting a credit card is that it makes it
>easy to buy from I tunes (after all, a song is only a buck) ... and
>easy to lose track of how many bucks you are spending -- an Ipod will
>hold a couple of thousand tunes.
>
>My complaint is not the practice, but that the free games were held
>out as an inducement to my son and the fact of needing a credit card
>was witheld from us during the purchase process. Had we known,
>we'd not have bought.
>
>Oh ... to the smart ass who wondered how we can go out for dinner
>without using a credit card. We have credit cards ... and we use
>them appropriately. We don't consider setting up what would amount
>to an unlimited credit account for a 15 year old to be an appropriate
>use.
>
>ken

Howdy,

I have not read the complete thread, so others may have
explained this to you, but...

There are many other folks in just the situation you
describe, and, Apple knows that. Of course they want to make
it as easy as possible for people to buy music, and other
things, but they also want to sell the hardware. Surely one
could not lend an iPhone to someone if the owner were
concerned that other person might purchase tons of stuff
from iTunes.

As a result of this sort of issue, one can easily block
iTunes purchases, and can password protect the setting they
have chosen.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

catchme

sittingduck wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> Got my son an Ipod Touch. Salesman at Best Buy said a bunch of the
>> games are free ... just grab em when you register your I Touch.
>>
>> Kid goes to Itunes to register ... Apple asks for his credit card
>> information. Kid is 15. Doesnn't have a credit card.
>>
>> No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
>> credit card.
>>
>> Do I take the beast back to Best Buy ... ask them why they neglected
>> that little piece of information .... or is there a way to get the
>> free downloads from ITunes without a credit card.
>>
>> Right now I'm feeling very angry at Apple and Best Buy.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.

> You are too paranoid, and too stupid for technology.
> Take it back, or ask your kid how to use the internet.

there is no such thing as being too paranoid about privacy; if anything,
people are too free with the information they give, allowing just about
anything find a goldmine of information that used to take private
investigators years to find!
consider the data that you give google on search queries from your IP,
then add to the mix the data that can be found about you on facebook,
etc. combined with a directory search for phone number to your name.
Now, we have your name, phone number, photo and some detail on your
hobbies, spending habits and search queries.
If you have an account on amazon or ebay, we can find out some more
stuff- hell, what the FBI couldn't get by means of legal surveillance,
people post WILLINGLY online!

--
To the States or any one of them, or any city of the States,
Resist much, obey little,

-Walt Whitman, 1860

catchme

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Fri, 08 May 2009 08:09:52 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I didn't look for the country of the OP, but credit cards are not as
>> widespread everywhere, as in the US. Here in Old Europe, as an example, we
>> have teller cards with ATMs around every corner or bank entrance. Most
>> supermarkets and gas stations do have ATM capable counters (just enter the
>> card and your pincode to pay).
>> We can also pay anonymously with the chips on the cards chargeable from the
>> ATMs, at most supermarkets or even ticket machines. In restaurants, at least
>> giving perquisite is common - of course as real money. Therefore, paying as
>> well.
>> A 15yr old son may already have his own (limited) bank account, or at least
>> a money (atm preloadable) card.

> OP appears to be in Canada. Them Kanuks have credit cards, I'd hope.

cash is still the preferred method of payment here, followed by debit
and closely thereafter by VISA.
Our US customers seem to be evenly divided by US debit (processed as
credit here), and cash (US and Can $)

sittingduck

catchme wrote:

> cash is still the preferred method of payment here, followed by debit
> and closely thereafter by VISA.
> Our US customers seem to be evenly divided by US debit (processed as
> credit here), and cash (US and Can $)

More evidence of ignorance. Debit is less secure than credit. Using a credit
card is much safer, especially when you consider the ability to use virtual
account numbers with specific monetary limits.

--

sittingduck wrote:
> catchme wrote:
>
>> cash is still the preferred method of payment here, followed by debit
>> and closely thereafter by VISA.
>> Our US customers seem to be evenly divided by US debit (processed as
>> credit here), and cash (US and Can $)

> More evidence of ignorance. Debit is less secure than credit. Using a credit
> card is much safer, especially when you consider the ability to use virtual
> account numbers with specific monetary limits.

US 'debit' cards are treated same as credit cards here in Canada-
particularly because they DO typically carry mastercard or visa branding.
Now, Canadian 'ATM' cards are a different matter (until recently they
were more secure), but the newer cards (credit AND debit) with RFID
chips pose a new security risk, namely that RFID scanners are easy to
acquire, and have LOS range.
With an RFID scanner, one has instant access to all the information
about the card bearer that only one's bank would typically have.
Keep your cards at home, and use cash.