Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to avoid giving I tunes my credit card info ...

How to avoid giving I tunes my credit card info ...

VanguardLH

walter wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> Got my son an Ipod Touch. Salesman at Best Buy said a bunch of the
>>> games are free ... just grab em when you register your I Touch.
>>>
>>> Kid goes to Itunes to register ... Apple asks for his credit card
>>> information. Kid is 15. Doesnn't have a credit card.
>>>
>>> No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
>>> credit card.
>>>
>>> Do I take the beast back to Best Buy ... ask them why they neglected
>>> that little piece of information ....

> I would, but that's just me.
>
>>> or is there a way to get the
>>> free downloads from ITunes without a credit card.

> Probably, but not legally.
>
>>> Right now I'm feeling very angry at Apple and Best Buy.
>>> Any help appreciated.

>> If you have a credit card company that has a feature of letting you
>> assign temporary card numbers to your account where you can set the
>> max value that can be charged and an expiration date, use that.

> Oh **** me! Why would the OP do that after having written;
>
> "No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
> credit card."
>
> Are you and 'Mike Easter' the same person?
>
> I ask because you both tend to go off on like 4KB tangents disregarding OP's
> original questions.

What is so difficult for you to understand that a *temp* card number is
NOT your true credit card number. The OP said she didn't want to give
out her credit card number. By using the shopsafe scheme, she won't.
So I answered her question. You, on the other hand, are just a lonely
troll childishly wanting to garner attention while exhibiting your
ignorance and inability to read.

VanguardLH

Evan Platt wrote:

> On Fri, 08 May 2009 15:02:07 -0600, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>Oh ... to the smart ass who wondered how we can go out for dinner
>>without using a credit card.
>>We have credit cards ... and we use them appropriately. We don't consider setting up what would amount
>>to an unlimited credit account for a 15 year old to be an appropriate
>>use.

> "No way I am giving Apple, I Tunes or anyone else information on my
> credit card."
>
> So.. I guess dinner is OK, but $1 for a game for your son isn't?
>
> Teach your son some responsibility. Add the credit card to his
> account. Then if you find he's bought songs from iTunes on it, he owes
> you.

Sometimes the kids are smarter than their parents. I suspect the kid is
better equipped mentally and better educated than mom in finding how to
buy prepaid credit cards or find a credit issuer that lets the card
owner establish limits and spending quotas. Alas, mom might have to
spend the kid's allowance to buy the kid a pre-paid card or open the
limited and managed credit account for the kid.

richard

On Fri, 08 May 2009 15:02:07 -0600, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Thanks to those who offered relevant observations. I doubted there
>was a way to get around giving out credit card info ... but you never
>know until you ask. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I
>may have missed something on the Itunes web page ...or whatever.
>
>I suspect Apple's idea of getting a credit card is that it makes it
>easy to buy from I tunes (after all, a song is only a buck) ... and
>easy to lose track of how many bucks you are spending -- an Ipod will
>hold a couple of thousand tunes.
>
>My complaint is not the practice, but that the free games were held
>out as an inducement to my son and the fact of needing a credit card
>was witheld from us during the purchase process. Had we known,
>we'd not have bought.
>
>Oh ... to the smart ass who wondered how we can go out for dinner
>without using a credit card. We have credit cards ... and we use
>them appropriately. We don't consider setting up what would amount
>to an unlimited credit account for a 15 year old to be an appropriate
>use.
>
>ken

One possible solution.
Set up a bank account just for him with a bank that will offer a check
card. He can then use the card as he needs to.

You might also want to look at gift cards that itunes will accept.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...itunes/gallery
I believe most walmarts and walgreens sell them.

I just clicked on one link from google that sent me to a page on
apple.com, which insisted you need to install itunes. Clicking on any
other link does the same thing. That kind of "selling the company"
tactics I don't buy. Just turns me off.

richard

On Fri, 08 May 2009 14:37:30 -0700, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Fri, 08 May 2009 15:02:07 -0600, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>Thanks to those who offered relevant observations. I doubted there
>>was a way to get around giving out credit card info ... but you never
>>know until you ask. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I
>>may have missed something on the Itunes web page ...or whatever.
>>
>>I suspect Apple's idea of getting a credit card is that it makes it
>>easy to buy from I tunes (after all, a song is only a buck) ... and
>>easy to lose track of how many bucks you are spending -- an Ipod will
>>hold a couple of thousand tunes.

>And it's also a way of 'verifying' who is doing the buying.
>
>One customer of ours uses it to 'verify' who someone is for an hour of
>free internet per day. Each credit card can be used once in a day for
>one hour of internet. Of course, if someone has 24 credit cards, they
>can use the internet 24/7 (minus the time it takes them to register),
>so.. But same theory too.
>
>>My complaint is not the practice, but that the free games were held
>>out as an inducement to my son and the fact of needing a credit card
>>was witheld from us during the purchase process. Had we known,
>>we'd not have bought.

>Wow. So return it. And tell them why. You're making a mountain out of
>a molehill. No, they didn't tell you EVERYTHING.
>
>>Oh ... to the smart ass who wondered how we can go out for dinner
>>without using a credit card.

>Umm... that would be me.

That's what Evan is. A smart ass know nothing.

Hell, I don't have one credit card to my name and don't want the damn
things.
I use a check card which draws directly out of my bank account.
No monthly interest fees and the store gets paid directly.
I can check my balance and statements online any time I need to.
If I have a problem, I call the bank's 800 24/7 number and get it
solved while on the phone. Can you do that with a credit card?

Evan Platt

On Fri, 08 May 2009 20:38:29 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>One possible solution.
>Set up a bank account just for him with a bank that will offer a check
>card. He can then use the card as he needs to.
>
>You might also want to look at gift cards that itunes will accept.
>http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...itunes/gallery
>I believe most walmarts and walgreens sell them.

Great advice - that others have already given.

>I just clicked on one link from google that sent me to a page on
>apple.com, which insisted you need to install itunes. Clicking on any
>other link does the same thing. That kind of "selling the company"
>tactics I don't buy. Just turns me off.

What 'link' was that?

zvnteq7

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Got my son an Ipod Touch.<snip>

first mistake

go to www.anythingbutipod.com and get a better sounding player

get drm free music from www.emusic.com among others... I think
Amazon.com mp3s are DRM free now?

Evan Platt

On Fri, 08 May 2009 20:46:26 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>That's what Evan is. A smart ass know nothing.

LOL.. That's why I prove your dumb ass wrong just about every post you
make, and why YOU are the one known as Richard The Stupid?

Dumb****.

>Hell, I don't have one credit card to my name and don't want the damn
>things.

Good for you.

>I use a check card which draws directly out of my bank account.
>No monthly interest fees and the store gets paid directly.
>I can check my balance and statements online any time I need to.
>If I have a problem, I call the bank's 800 24/7 number and get it
>solved while on the phone. Can you do that with a credit card?

Yes.

wrote:

>That's what Evan is. A smart ass know nothing.

You gonna bring back one of your sock puppets to back you up on that?

Where's your proof of the '300 people share the same IP' crap?

Notice when I bring these things up, among others, you drop out and
stop replying?

You've even got a Wiki entry on how f'in stupid you are.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Richard_Bullis

Now go away, dumbass.

Evan Platt

On Fri, 08 May 2009 21:22:51 -0700, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>You've even got a Wiki entry on how f'in stupid you are.
>
>http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Richard_Bullis
>
>Now go away, dumbass.

Wait, Richard Bergis, Richard Bullis... Hmmm.. One and the same
person?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxi1J2EntVU

G. Morgan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I doubted there
>was a way to get around giving out credit card info ... but you never
>know until you ask. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I
>may have missed something on the Itunes web page ...or whatever.

So what was the solution?

I would just get him a prepaid MC/VISA and load it with a small amount. You
can re-charge some of the pre-paid cards too.