Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > AVG 7.5 support now ceased

AVG 7.5 support now ceased

Nighthawk

For those still running W98* Grisoft have ceased all updates for v7.5.
The latest virus database was 270.12.11/2089 dated March 30.

Avast! http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html W95+ and

Rising http://www.freerav.com/ W98+ are alternatives. Both get good
reviews.

news2.thing@gmail.com

On May 8, 2:54*pm, Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> For those still running W98* Grisoft have ceased all updates for v7.5.
> The latest virus database was 270.12.11/2089 dated March 30.
>
> Avast!http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.htmlW95+ and
>
> Risinghttp://www.freerav.com/W98+ are alternatives. *Both get good
> reviews.

I have to ask why you are still on 98....that's a bit crazy IMHO.

I run avast, no issues...

regards

thing

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On May 8, 2:54 pm, Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> For those still running W98* Grisoft have ceased all updates for
>> v7.5. The latest virus database was 270.12.11/2089 dated March 30.
>>
>> Avast!http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.htmlW95+ and
>>
>> Risinghttp://www.freerav.com/W98+ are alternatives. Both get good
>> reviews.

> I have to ask why you are still on 98....that's a bit crazy IMHO.
>
> I run avast, no issues...

I have a Pentium II 'Dixon' (brilliant CPU for it's time, 256k full speed
on-die cache before Coppermine came out) 400MHz laptop with 128MB RAM that's
using 98SE. It's hardly fast enough for anything else MS.

Mind you, I don't use AV on it. It's behind my hardware firewall, I use
Firefox, no email on it and surely not much malware is targetted at 9x these
days?

It'd be a shame to retire it, it'll run on battery long enough to watch a
movie just fine and is quite responsive. I'd like to max the RAM but I can't
find 2 x 128MB SDRAM SODIMMs at a price that can be justified for an old
machine. It's currently 2 x 64MB, the manual says it'll take 2 x 128. (Dell
Latitude CPi-A.)

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Nighthawk

On Sat, 9 May 2009 01:28:38 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Somewhere on teh intarwebs (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On May 8, 2:54 pm, Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> For those still running W98* Grisoft have ceased all updates for
>>> v7.5. The latest virus database was 270.12.11/2089 dated March 30.
>>>
>>> Avast!http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.htmlW95+ and
>>>
>>> Risinghttp://www.freerav.com/W98+ are alternatives. Both get good
>>> reviews.

>> I have to ask why you are still on 98....that's a bit crazy IMHO.
>>
>> I run avast, no issues...

>I have a Pentium II 'Dixon' (brilliant CPU for it's time, 256k full speed
>on-die cache before Coppermine came out) 400MHz laptop with 128MB RAM that's
>using 98SE. It's hardly fast enough for anything else MS.
>
>Mind you, I don't use AV on it. It's behind my hardware firewall, I use
>Firefox, no email on it and surely not much malware is targetted at 9x these
>days?
>
>It'd be a shame to retire it, it'll run on battery long enough to watch a
>movie just fine and is quite responsive. I'd like to max the RAM but I can't
>find 2 x 128MB SDRAM SODIMMs at a price that can be justified for an old
>machine. It's currently 2 x 64MB, the manual says it'll take 2 x 128. (Dell
>Latitude CPi-A.)
>
>Cheers,

If something works for me and does everything I want it to do I see no
reason to change. I can dual-boot into XP but find my
98Lite-installed Win98SE much faster on the same hardware (tweaked to
use 1GB RAM). I have yet to have a compelling reason to convert to
using XP as my default OS. Perhaps with new hardware in the future I
would have to consider something newer but may likely install Linux
for online use.

I built a K6-2/550 based PC for a friend with the same kind of 98Lite
installation and he finds it faster than his XP2500+ Barton WinXP
setup, except where an application needs sheer number-crunching power.
He works from home as a scientist and runs three PCs at once.

Regarding malware for w98x I read on the Secunia site that W98SE is
overall still more secure than an updated patched XP machine:

W98SE
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/13/
Affected By 32 Secunia advisories
21 Vulnerabilities
Unpatched 9% (3 of 32 Secunia advisories)

Most Critical Unpatched
The most severe unpatched Secunia advisory affecting Microsoft Windows
98 Second Edition, with all vendor patches applied, is rated Less
critical (two squares)

XP
http://secunia.com/advisories/product/16/
Affected By 216 Secunia advisories
215 Vulnerabilities

Unpatched 13% (27 of 216 Secunia advisories)

Most Critical Unpatched
The most severe unpatched Secunia advisory affecting Microsoft Windows
XP Home Edition, with all vendor patches applied, is rated Moderately
critical (three squares).

simonnz10@gmail.com

On May 9, 3:01*am, Nighthawk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If something works for me and does everything I want it to do I see no
> reason to change.

Like you, a lot of people treat their computers as a tool. I have to
agree that if it meets your requirements and on balance you accept any
associated risks from the OS being "unsupported", why upgrade?

impossible

"Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 9 May 2009 01:28:38 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Somewhere on teh intarwebs (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> I have to ask why you are still on 98....that's a bit crazy IMHO.
>>>
>>> I run avast, no issues...

>>I have a Pentium II 'Dixon' (brilliant CPU for it's time, 256k full speed
>>on-die cache before Coppermine came out) 400MHz laptop with 128MB RAM
>>that's
>>using 98SE. It's hardly fast enough for anything else MS.
>>
>>Mind you, I don't use AV on it. It's behind my hardware firewall, I use
>>Firefox, no email on it and surely not much malware is targetted at 9x
>>these
>>days?
>>
>>It'd be a shame to retire it, it'll run on battery long enough to watch a
>>movie just fine and is quite responsive. I'd like to max the RAM but I
>>can't
>>find 2 x 128MB SDRAM SODIMMs at a price that can be justified for an old
>>machine. It's currently 2 x 64MB, the manual says it'll take 2 x 128.
>>(Dell
>>Latitude CPi-A.)
>>
>>Cheers,

> If something works for me and does everything I want it to do I see no
> reason to change. I can dual-boot into XP but find my
> 98Lite-installed Win98SE much faster on the same hardware (tweaked to
> use 1GB RAM).
>
>I have yet to have a compelling reason to convert to
> using XP as my default OS. Perhaps with new hardware in the future I
> would have to consider something newer but may likely install Linux
> for online use.

You clearly have simple requirements in terms of applications. Install Linux
and be done with it.

> I built a K6-2/550 based PC for a friend with the same kind of 98Lite
> installation and he finds it faster than his XP2500+ Barton WinXP
> setup, except where an application needs sheer number-crunching power.
> He works from home as a scientist and runs three PCs at once.
>
> What exactly does your "scientist" friend pefer to do with a decrepit
> machine running a decrepit operating system?
>

> Regarding malware for w98x I read on the Secunia site that W98SE is
> overall still more secure than an updated patched XP machine:

You're making a complete hash of that information. Do yourself a favor: lose
Win 98 and install Linux.