Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Problem with Source Code Control and ASP.NET Web Deployment project

Problem with Source Code Control and ASP.NET Web Deployment project

Leo Violette

I'm using VS 2008 SP1
My Web site uses an ASP.NET Web Application and an ASP.NET Web Service.
I've added deployment projects for them.
For some reason, every time the deployment project builds, it's updating the
package code inside the vdproj file.

This works fine if I have that file checked out.

But, our build machine chokes on it because an error message pops up:
"The command you are attempting cannot be completed because the file
'MyWebAppSetup.vdproj' is under source code control and is not checked out."

It's attempting to update the "Package Code" inside of the vdproj file.

Why does it want to update this with every build? Can I turn that
off?

Leo.

Alexey Smirnov

On May 7, 8:38*pm, "Leo Violette" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm using VS 2008 SP1
> My Web site uses an ASP.NET Web Application and an ASP.NET Web Service.
> I've added deployment projects for them.
> For some reason, every time the deployment project builds, it's updating the
> package code inside the vdproj file.
>
> This works fine if I have that file checked out.
>
> But, our build machine chokes on it because an error message pops up:
> "The command you are attempting cannot be completed because the file
> 'MyWebAppSetup.vdproj' is under source code control and is not checked out."
>
> It's attempting to update the "Package Code" inside of the vdproj file.
>
> Why does it want to update this with every build? *Can I turn that
> off?
>
> Leo.

Please look at the following post
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...4-507ebd078d44

Hope this helps

Leo Violette

Thanks for the link.

So, it sounds to me like the process should be:
Start automated build.
Have automated build check out the vdproj file
Build the Setup project.
Have automated build check back in the vdproj file.

It appears this is necessary because if you don't (make the vdproj writable
and not check it in), then
the newer install image may not install over the prior install image?

Is my understanding correct? This is probably easy to test.

Too bad if this is the case, the number of revisions on the vdproj will grow
quite fast.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...