Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Tripod recommendations

Tripod recommendations

whisky-dave

A friend has asked me if I know anything about tripods, so I said they have
3 legs
and the heavy and more difficult to move they are the better they'll keep
the camera steady.

So I wasn;t much help

This tripod will mostly be used with a meduim format film camera probably
for
long expossures in the region of seconds for some college project.

It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be using
public
transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under 100 probably nearer
50.
I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.

Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.
cheers

SMS

whisky-dave wrote:

> Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.
> cheers

I'd look for a used Manfrotto 3001 or 3021 on craigslist.org (easy to
find on the craigslist in my area as people go to lighter weigh tripods).

Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "whisky-dave"
<(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like:

>It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be using
>public
>transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under 100 probably nearer
>50.
>I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.
>
>Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.

Cheapy tripods from www.7dayshop.com aren't bad for the money,
especially if it's for short term use and she'd not be bothered if it
got stolen or damaged.

Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Floyd L.
Davidson) saying something like:

>A tripod that costs 50 is quite useful. For holding
>lights, backgrounds, or whatever. Don't put your camera
>on one though...

Shite.

J. Clarke

whisky-dave wrote:
> A friend has asked me if I know anything about tripods, so I said
> they have 3 legs
> and the heavy and more difficult to move they are the better they'll
> keep the camera steady.
>
> So I wasn;t much help
>
> This tripod will mostly be used with a meduim format film camera
> probably for
> long expossures in the region of seconds for some college project.
>
> It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be
> using public
> transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under 100 probably
> nearer 50.
> I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.
> cheers

She should be making the rounds of the camera shops that sell used
equipment. Good tripods generally don't wear out, but you're not going to
get a good one new for 50 quid.

ray

On Thu, 07 May 2009 13:56:00 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

> A friend has asked me if I know anything about tripods, so I said they
> have 3 legs
> and the heavy and more difficult to move they are the better they'll
> keep the camera steady.
>
> So I wasn;t much help
>
> This tripod will mostly be used with a meduim format film camera
> probably for
> long expossures in the region of seconds for some college project.
>
> It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be
> using public
> transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under £100 probably nearer
> £50.
> I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her. cheers

Assuming it has a hook underneath, a bag of rocks suspended underneath
will do wonders for stability.

SMS

whisky-dave wrote:
> A friend has asked me if I know anything about tripods, so I said they have
> 3 legs
> and the heavy and more difficult to move they are the better they'll keep
> the camera steady.
>
> So I wasn;t much help
>
> This tripod will mostly be used with a meduim format film camera probably
> for
> long expossures in the region of seconds for some college project.
>
> It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be using
> public
> transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under 100 probably nearer
> 50.
> I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.
> cheers

Many of the cheap tripods for video cameras can support a lot of weight,
15 pounds or so. The type of head is not optimal (pan/tilt) but it would
work.

I.e. the Velbon CX-690.

These will have leg braces, and the legs won't be independently
adjustable, and you won't be able to get really low or mount the camera
underneath.

As someone else mentioned, weighting it down with some rocks or sandbags
helps stability.

Chris Malcolm

whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A friend has asked me if I know anything about tripods, so I said they have
> 3 legs
> and the heavy and more difficult to move they are the better they'll keep
> the camera steady.

> So I wasn;t much help

> This tripod will mostly be used with a meduim format film camera probably
> for
> long expossures in the region of seconds for some college project.

> It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be using
> public
> transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under #100 probably nearer
> #50.
> I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.

> Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.
> cheers

It matters a lot whether the tripod will be used indoors or
outdoors. It matters a lot what size of output images she
requires. The longest focal length of the lens she will use is
important. It matters a lot how high the camera will have to be.

College project eh? Is she going to have to write up how she solved
the tripod problem? "I got a friend to ask questions on the internet
for me." That'll get good marks

--
Chris Malcolm

Father Guido Sarducci

In message news:gtulsi$hvg$1@qmul, "whisky-dave"
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> A friend has asked me if I know anything about tripods, so I said they
> have
> 3 legs
> and the heavy and more difficult to move they are the better they'll
> keep the camera steady.
>
> So I wasn;t much help
>
> This tripod will mostly be used with a meduim format film camera
> probably for
> long expossures in the region of seconds for some college project.
>
> It will need to be resonably portable for her to carry and she'll be
> using public
> transport mostly. Price range, well got to be under 100 probably
> nearer 50.
> I suggested she hired one when needed, but she didn;t seem interested.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts or links that might be useful to her.
> cheers

A medium-format tripod for 50 quid? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Gitzo 3 series. End of thread.

Stormin Mormon

Useful for baiting twokkers? And then beating them senseless
when they reach for your camera?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus