Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WHY no file extensions in FFox cache?????

WHY no file extensions in FFox cache?????

PCR

DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Steve
> <(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>>So the problem has been fixed in this instance. are you saying
>>NoScript is no longer trustworthy even after the fix and apology?

> Yes. A fix and an apology doesn't fix the inherent bad judgment that
> was demonstrated here.

If they really fixed it & said 10 Hail Mary's & 4 Our Father's, they
should be fine now-- forgive them!

> I also wouldn't trust a security guard to guard my building after he
> helped some other thieves break into a neighbouring building even if
> he did apologize and replace that building's locks.

That's a far more serious transgression & merits time in purgatory-- bad
comparison!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,

MEB

DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> MEB
> <(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>> Ah,, wait a minute since you're here, are you attempting to say that
>> it is Okay to break a site?
>> And this would be within acceptable *functionality* standards?

> Yes, if it's doing what it is designed to do.
>
> I've floated between Adblock Plus, Flashblock and NoScript for years,
> using different combinations depending on my tolerance and mood, using
> overlapping whitelists to control what functionality is available to
> different sites.
>
> All three intentionally and willfully break sites as a function of their
> design.

Ah, I see, not actually a physical break of a site, per se, but along
the lines of the tool.. mistook what you meant.

> I run AdBlock Plus because it removes advertisements, knowing full well
> that it may negatively impact websites' functionality -- If nothing
> else, the ads don't appear.
>
> I know of other sites that have functionality that is broken by AdBlock
> Plus too (UsedCalgary.com's photo galleries disappear, for example)
>
> I run Flashblock because it removes Flash, most of which I find
> annoying. However, because from a website's point of view it looks like
> I have Flash, some sites break when they rely upon a "hidden" flash
> element to kick off other functionality.
>
> I know webmasters who intentionally deliver ads in ways that are similar
> to content to make blocking one without blocking the other difficult or
> impossible, and it inevitably results in either AdBlock or the site not
> functioning as expected.

Right, the junk sites are forcing down the throats of users is near
intolerable.

> Since I choose to prefer the risk of blocked content in exchange for
> viewing websites the way I choose rather then the way the author
> chooses, I do use various solutions that offer me greater control over
> my browsing experience.
>
>> You seem to be taking a "side" here, which would actually appear as
>> unacceptable.

> I'm actually trying my best to stay neutral. I used both AdBlock Plus
> and NoScript in the past, and I'm somewhat saddened to see NoScript
> removed from that arsenal of tools.
>
> However, the way I see it is this: NoScript specifically added
> obfuscated code designed to interfere with AdBlock Plus. Twice. In
> both cases, the behaviour wasn't documented, and couldn't be disabled or
> reconfigured, and wasn't within the documented scope of the product.
>
> If one of NoScript's features was "displays ads on NoScript's website"
> then I would have no problem at all with NoScript's behaviour.
>
> Ultimately, AdBlock Plus did it's job, it did everything in it's power
> to block ads and it left the user in control by offering a whitelist,
> NoScript tool the trojan horse route, pretending to do one thing while
> doing other arguably malicious activities not necessary to accomplish
> the primary purpose.

I had noticed the ad white lists [call me paranoid but I check
EVERYTHING for defaults and functionality, in fact I had to removed them
from this Linux/FireFox install, along with Google and others. I can see
why they were included: Google for gmail, search [but I never allow
anything there], and webmaster tools (but that also allows that danged
Google API found EVERYWHERE); Microsoft/MSN for hotmail/Live; but that
wasn't the killer it may have been for others. Delete them from the
white list...
His site's ads MIGHT have been okay [providing the tool did allow SOME
right to at least FROM his site], but to make the ad sites white listed
wasn't very bright.
As I said, I wasn't aware of the issue with AdBlock; I agree that is
highly questionable behaviour. Not a very good way to build a reputation..

--
~
--

PCR