Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux use reaches 1% -- world yawns

Linux use reaches 1% -- world yawns

Party Animal

whoisthis wrote:

> In all 3 cases you were imposing "your" views. You at no time looked at
> what the rest of their needs were, and in fact I would go so far as to
> say you did not care, so long as you got to impose "your" solution onto
> them. You best "work" for yourself, because you are unemployable.

They all seem perfectly reasonable compared to your continuous "Buy a
Mac" mantra.

Lodi

> whoisthis wrote:
>
> Not name calling, he stated facts.

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure he is a she. Lives in the US. Or that was
what she posted on another thread a few months back.

Lodi

Lodi

> whoisthis wrote:
>
> In all 3 cases you were imposing "your" views. You at no time looked at
> what the rest of their needs were, and in fact I would go so far as to
> say you did not care, so long as you got to impose "your" solution onto
> them. You best "work" for yourself, because you are unemployable.

That's actually a pretty fair assessment.

People come to me for help. My reply is "I'm happy to help but it's by my
rules" and the first (and only) rule is I'll set up a dual boot system with
Ubuntu. Web browsing is in Ubuntu via Firefox, emailing is via Thunderbird.

From then on I'm happy to give advice on pretty much anything. MS or Linux.
I've got an opinion on everything when it comes to computers.

But if my "customer" comes back to me saying "look I think I've got a virus"
I'll first sort that out (something I've done time and time again). If it
is a virus caused by going online from Windows then I'll clean their system
and then tell them not to bother phoning me for further help.

I've freely given my time and effort setting up a maintenance-free secure
system for going online (Ubuntu) and they've not made the effort to change.
Not that there's much of a change between IE/OE and FF/TB

The one millionth virus was logged a week or two ago. That's one million
viruses(?) for the Windows operating system. Infections picked up on-line
are the main cause of requests for help from my Windows "customers". If
they won't help themselves by dual-booting to Ubuntu with zero viruses why
should I continue helping them.

Regards
Lodi

Jack Spratt

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On May 8, 7:02 pm, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Three calls yesterday.

Number one wanted advice on sending a 3MB jpg as an email attachment.
Solution = Right-click/Open with GIMP/crop/scale/adjust colour levels
(optional)/file save for web/resulting file was 130K

Number two wanted to do a clean install of XP on a blank HD
Solution=F2 at bootup/arrow to boot options/F5 CD-ROM to 1/insert XP
CD/F10/product key is on the case

Number three wanted to ditch the crippled webcam software that came
bundled with XP for something more feature-filled.
Solution=Boot into Ubuntu partition (one I prepared earlier)/Terminal/
sudo apt-get install luvcview cheese avidemux/links to avidemux-wiki/
talk through luvcview/cheese just follow your nose

Specific problems and detailed solutions. If I had a chest they'd give
me a medal.

Regards
Lodi

------------
If that constitutes IT consultancy then my old Gran could earn herself some
extra pocket money.

Lodi

> Jack Spratt wrote:

> If that constitutes IT consultancy then my old Gran could earn herself
> some extra pocket money.

Yep. I've been told in no uncertain terms that I'm not IT Consultant
material. Damn shame. A job on a help desk was suggested. Maybe if I start
there then in ten or fifteen years I'll be able to hold my head high amidst
the luminaries of nz.comp

While you're here, would you mind asking your old gran what's the best
solution for an assert failed error in avidemux. I'm getting a consistent
error across desktops and API's. ADMMplexout.cpp failing on line 70. Hard
to tell if it's the file or the programme. Any advice appreciated.

Regards
Lodi

Jack Spratt

"Lodi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gu32gv$dcn$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jack Spratt wrote:

>> If that constitutes IT consultancy then my old Gran could earn herself
>> some extra pocket money.

> Yep. I've been told in no uncertain terms that I'm not IT Consultant
> material. Damn shame. A job on a help desk was suggested. Maybe if I start
> there then in ten or fifteen years I'll be able to hold my head high
> amidst
> the luminaries of nz.comp
>
> While you're here, would you mind asking your old gran what's the best
> solution for an assert failed error in avidemux. I'm getting a consistent
> error across desktops and API's. ADMMplexout.cpp failing on line 70. Hard
> to tell if it's the file or the programme. Any advice appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

She says to check the bugs page
http://bugs.avidemux.org/
Failing that she said tell the cheapskate to get a decent editor.

Lodi

> Jack Spratt wrote:

> She says to check the bugs page
> http://bugs.avidemux.org/
> Failing that she said tell the cheapskate to get a decent editor.

LOL

Lodi

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)

>I agree, OpenOffice and Evolution are pretty awful - but they have
>advanced a lot - more than MS's Office IMO over time.

Agree about evolution - don't like it at all. OO OTOH, is great IMO.

>> > and, as said, good inroads into the desktop
>> > market (still a long way to go there too).

>> 1% every 18 years? Yeah, right. Long way to go.

Where are these magic numbers coming from ? Usually/often, they look at
"sales". As very few of the linux installs are actually 'sold', this will
bias the numbers. Even if you do 'buy' it, you can then install it on as
many computers as you like. Yet more bias.

I supect most if not all of the 'desktop users' numbers are simply wrong.
At best, they should be treated with a few kg of salt ... as should anything
typed by impossible.

impossible

"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
in message news:4a10ad53$0$64024$(E-Mail Removed)4all.s e...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Dave Doe
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (snip)
>
>>I agree, OpenOffice and Evolution are pretty awful - but they have
>>advanced a lot - more than MS's Office IMO over time.

> Agree about evolution - don't like it at all. OO OTOH, is great IMO.

>>> 1% every 18 years? Yeah, right. Long way to go.

> Where are these magic numbers coming from ?

Playing dumb will get you nowhere. The answer to your question is readily
available. What's the matter? Afraid to look?

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper...id=8&sample=35

Anything that can be called a "client" is included.
> Usually/often, they look at
> "sales". As very few of the linux installs are actually 'sold', this will
> bias the numbers. Even if you do 'buy' it, you can then install it on as
> many computers as you like. Yet more bias.

Wrong. But then you never bothered to investigate, did you?

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/

"About Our Market Share Statistics ...

"We use a unique methodology for collecting this data. We collect data from
the browsers of site visitors to our exclusive on-demand network of live
stats customers. The data is compiled from approximately 160 million
visitors per month. The information published is an aggregate of the data
from this network of hosted website statistics. The site unique visitor and
referral information is summarized on a monthly, weekly, daily and hourly
basis.

"In addition, we classify 430+ referral sources identified as search
engines. Aggregate traffic referrals from these engines are summarized and
reported on. The statistics for search engines include both organic and
sponsored referrals. The websites in our population represent almost all
countries on earth."

> I supect most if not all of the 'desktop users' numbers are simply wrong.
> At best, they should be treated with a few kg of salt ... as should
> anything
> typed by impossible.

Yes, I always base my conclusions on documented facts. No sense in any
freeetard letting that sort of clarity enter into the picture. FUD, FUD, and
more FUD -- that's all your little mind seems able to assimilate.