Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux use reaches 1% -- world yawns

Linux use reaches 1% -- world yawns

Gordon

On 2009-05-07, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/linux..._1_world_yawns

Pity you have not joined them.

The real point is that after 18 years Linux is still powering along. So is
the Apple. People are using both OS.

Also OSS is not restricted to Linux.

OSS powers all sorts of non desktop equipment, routers, modems NAS, etc

Linux maybebe "not on the desktop" but it all around and over the place,
including on desktops.

Still media have to sell copies eh, just like MS.

Jack Spratt

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2009-05-07, impossible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> http://blogs.computerworld.com/linux..._1_world_yawns
>>

> Pity you have not joined them.
>
> The real point is that after 18 years Linux is still powering along. So is
> the Apple. People are using both OS.
>
> Also OSS is not restricted to Linux.
>
> OSS powers all sorts of non desktop equipment, routers, modems NAS, etc
>
> Linux maybebe "not on the desktop" but it all around and over the place,
> including on desktops.
>
> Still media have to sell copies eh, just like MS.

Just like the bogun argument over Ford Vs Holden, I don't get the Linux/MS
thing.
It is (almost) the one constant that I have encountered over 15 years
online.
There is no right or wrong and unfortunately no end.

It seems that either party feels the need to justify their choice (LO'D
being the most frequent offender).
We have reasons for choosing. I certainly don't feel I need to
explain/boast/justify/belittle.

Rhino

On Thu, 7 May 2009 21:02:44 +1200, "Jack Spratt"
<pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:
>Just like the bogun argument over Ford Vs Holden, I don't get the Linux/MS
>thing.

Agreed. I use Windows, Linux and BSD at work, and all do the required
tasks without problems.
>It is (almost) the one constant that I have encountered over 15 years
>online.

Make that over 20 years for me. I started out with a Unix shell
account in Chch before "The Web" existed. TIN was my newsreader and
Pine my email client. *nix and Windows wars weregoing on way back
then.
>There is no right or wrong and unfortunately no end.

Very true.
>It seems that either party feels the need to justify their choice (LO'D
>being the most frequent offender).
>We have reasons for choosing. I certainly don't feel I need to
>explain/boast/justify/belittle.

Bling to you. Let's just get on and use the tools we have chosen.

Cheers, Rhino

impossible

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) g...
> In article <7ysMl.687404$yE1.522901@attbi_s21>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>>
>> "Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) g...
>> > In article <7RqMl.687257$yE1.2972@attbi_s21>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> > says...

>> > I agree, OpenOffice and Evolution are pretty awful - but they have
>> > advanced a lot - more than MS's Office IMO over time.

>> I wouldn't hold my breath for the next "advance" if I were you. The
>> OpenOffice project is in complete disarray at this point. Headed nowhere.

>> > Well if you think IT development, software wise (let alone hardware) is
>> > a linear development - enough said.

>> Well, is there?

> You seriously expect an answer, surely you need to provide a serious
> question.
>
> In it's current form and context, the answer is yes - trillions of
> things... you, me, most humans, many animals - and that's just on a
> small scale of time. Do we go into the universe itself?

<shakes head> Product market share -- that's what we were talking about. Is
there anything else else on the planet that grows more
slowly than the Linux desktop?

> Moving away from your farcical question, what about something more
> serious, such as:
> Has Linux evolved in a linear fashion?

No. Which is even more disappointing for the Linux fanboys, I would think.

> Perhaps another way of looking at it: Has the Linux desktop market grown
> much in just the last 1 or 2 or 3 years?

No. Got any evidence to say otherwise?

> Leads to other questions too: how dis computerworld (or whoever did the
> counting) do the counting? (How do they know and count the folk that
> have installed Linux themselves?) - they didn't, it's just based on net
> apps. Also consider that most distros have been created in the last few
> years, not 18 years - infact it's a bit unfair to say Linux is 18 years
> old. Is it a good comparison?, are they good numbers? - not really eh.
>
> --

Read the article. That's why I supply links:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/linux..._1_world_yawns

The study was done by Net Applications, which keeps a running tally of these
things available to anyone. The survey methodology, which counts any
appliance (pc, netbook, phone) as a "desktop" certainly flatters Linux.

impossible

"Lodi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gtu3g0$qof$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> impossible wrote:
>>
>>> "Lodi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I'm just curious what you were trying to achieve by posting this
>>> (again).
>>>

>> Discussion?
>>

> Yeah right....it's just trolling. You know it. I know it. It's part of the
> fun of nz.comp
>>
>> Your life currently revolves around the intricacies of an os that
>> almost no one cares about. That makes you feel cool -- kind of a renegade
>> type.

> Certainly not a renegade but I've definitely acquired the air of smug
> superiority which most linux users have. Hard not to feel smug when pretty
> much all linux users have previously used and subsequently discarded
> Windows in favour of something we've found to be superior.

Superior for what? There are no professional-grade applications for the
Linux desktop.

What do you do with a Linux machine exactly? Spend your day booting and
rebooting (quickly, I understand -- woohoo)? Rebuilding distros? Figuring
out new command-line commands.

> The big achilles heel of MS'ers criticizing Linux is that hardly any of
> them
> have used Linux. And those that have and have failed to make the change
> *always* blame the tool, never themselves. I think those MS'ers get upset
> the most because there are so many people saying Linux is great but these
> unfortunates can't seem to get it working. All their years of hard-earned
> MS knowledge count for naught and they're left standing on the outside
> looking in.

Most users, myself included, pick an os based on its suitability as a
platform for applications. Until someone create those applications, the
"Linux desktop" will remain a mirage.

>> Plus you have no job

> I was actually able to stop working when I was forty *because* of my
> knowledge of computers. Am just living off investments for (hopefully) the
> rest of my days.

Ok, so you're a hobbyist now. That makes sense. If I had all the time in the
world on my hands, I'd tinker, too.

>> so you building a system that caters to doing
>> real work has absolutely no appeal to you.
>>

> Real work???? You mean like all those millions of Windows 98/XP/Vista
> users
> who are doing "real work" on their system.....

Yes. The world's largest and most successful businesses run Windows
applications on Windows desktops.

> How many of your 87% (who bought their copy of 98/XP/Vista pre-loaded at
> Dick Smiths) need a national ticketing system or a database with a million
> entries or a secure electronic cash payment system. Pretty much none.

True, and yet they still can't be bothered with Linux.

> Real work = email, web browsing, reconcile the bank statement, edit a few
> photos, do some word processing, burn a few dvd's, download a few
> torrents,
> check out the shills on nz.comp

And you prefer Linux for this "work" why exactly?

>> What is it with Linuxheads that they can never manage a single decent
>> analogy.

> You're just envious. Admit it.........on second thoughts, you're not one
> of
> those "tried Linux and couldn't get it to work" MS'ers are you.

Linux without professional-grade applications is useless to me. But have fun
with your hobby.

lodi@sogetthis.com

>On May 8, 12:05*am, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Ok, so you're a hobbyist now. That makes sense. If I had all the time in the
> world on my hands, I'd tinker, too.

A hobbyist.....a HOBBYIST !!!!!!!
I'll have you know it says "IT Consultant" on the business cards I've
just printed up (using Open Office)

And why can't I call myself a "consultant". Word of mouth has people
coming to me for my opinion and assistance. They offer me money to
help them out which, for the record, I *always* decline (unless
there's travel involved).

I advise them on the pros and cons of their current system (invariably
Windows) and how having Ubuntu as a dual-boot backup can help out.

Over the last few years I've built up a "customer base" of about
forty. Friends, family, neighbours, friends of neighbours
friends....the usual.

I even offer 24/7 phone support for those who choose the dual-boot
option.

If that doesn't make me a consultant I don't know what does. I guess I
could buy a suit and tie.

> Yes. The world's largest and most successful businesses run Windows
> applications on Windows desktops.

Yes. The employees of the aforementioned "world's largest and most
successful businesses" are running Windows applications. Cutting-edge
applications that do all sorts of things like ummmmm........ send
emails, write reports for the boss, keep customer records, browse
TradeMe, track appointments. You've convinced me.

Lodi

impossible

> [...]

> Cool! I think I'll go out tonight and get somthing like that myself.
>

>> And why can't I call myself a "consultant". Word of mouth has people
>> coming to me for my opinion and assistance. They offer me money to
>> help them out which, for the record, I *always* decline (unless
>> there's travel involved).
>>
>> I advise them on the pros and cons of their current system (invariably
>> Windows) and how having Ubuntu as a dual-boot backup can help out.
>>

>> Over the last few years I've built up a "customer base" of about
>> forty. Friends, family, neighbours, friends of neighbours
>> friends....the usual.

>> I even offer 24/7 phone support for those who choose the dual-boot
>> option.

>> If that doesn't make me a consultant I don't know what does.
>>

> <shakes head> You've just touted your credentials as a telephone

Wouldn't help. You're a hobbyist with an axe to grind.

>>> Real work???? You mean like all those millions of Windows 98/XP/Vista
>>> users
>>> who are doing "real work" on their system.....
>>>

>> Yes. The world's largest and most successful businesses run Windows
>> applications on Windows desktops.
>>

> Yes. The employees of the aforementioned "world's largest and most
> successful businesses" are running Windows applications. Cutting-edge
> applications that do all sorts of things like ummmmm........ send
> emails, write reports for the boss, keep customer records, browse
> TradeMe, track appointments. You've convinced me.

You're an ignorant sod, aren't you? Try reading a bit to fill in the blanks.

lodi@sogetthis.com

> On May 8, 7:02*pm, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> ROTFL... being able to print a card does NOT make you a consultant.

Damn. And I spent all afternoon colouring them in with a brand new
pack of 24 different coloured felt tip pens I bought from the
Warehouse specifically for the job. Guess that was a waste of time.
Might as well cancel the order for the suit, tie and open-toed sandals
while I'm at it.

> You are NOT a good consultant. All the good consultants I have come
> across recognise that the most expensive part of the computer is now the
> user. Making the user more productive (which is not the same as making
> them busy) is the *most important thing, this looks at what applications
> are needed, which applications the user is most familiar with then once
> those decisions have been made then the OS that they run on can be
> decided.

Anyway, having read your job description I've decided I don't want to
be an IT consultant. Too much touchy-feely holistic "work smarter, not
harder" managerial gobbledy-gook. My "customers" phone me with a
specific problem and expect a detailed solution pretty much straight
away. For example........

Three calls yesterday.

Number one wanted advice on sending a 3MB jpg as an email attachment.
Solution = Right-click/Open with GIMP/crop/scale/adjust colour levels
(optional)/file save for web/resulting file was 130K

Number two wanted to do a clean install of XP on a blank HD
Solution=F2 at bootup/arrow to boot options/F5 CD-ROM to 1/insert XP
CD/F10/product key is on the case

Number three wanted to ditch the crippled webcam software that came
bundled with XP for something more feature-filled.
Solution=Boot into Ubuntu partition (one I prepared earlier)/Terminal/
sudo apt-get install luvcview cheese avidemux/links to avidemux-wiki/
talk through luvcview/cheese just follow your nose

Specific problems and detailed solutions. If I had a chest they'd give
me a medal.

Regards
Lodi

lodi@sogetthis.com

> On May 8, 11:57*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <shakes head> Just printed those up, did you? "Lodi the IT Consultant".
> Cool! I think I'll go out tonight and get somthing like that myself.
>

> *<shakes head> You've just touted your credentials as a telephone
> help-desk operator. Have another go.

Yep. I've already been shown by whoisthis that I can't cut the mustard
as an IT consultant. Damn disappointing.

But as we speak I'm printing up another batch of cards with "Helpdesk
IT Support".
Is that okay with you?

> You're an ignorant sod, aren't you? Try reading a bit to fill in the blanks.

Woohoo. Name calling. That's a personal insult. Thread over. I win.
You lose.

My turn......just cos MS pay you to hang out in newsgroups it doesn't
mean you work in IT.

See you in your next thread

Lodi

impossible

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On May 8, 7:02 pm, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> ROTFL... being able to print a card does NOT make you a consultant.
>>

> Damn. And I spent all afternoon colouring them in with a brand new
> pack of 24 different coloured felt tip pens I bought from the
> Warehouse specifically for the job. Guess that was a waste of time.
> Might as well cancel the order for the suit, tie and open-toed sandals
> while I'm at it.
>

>> You are NOT a good consultant. All the good consultants I have come
>> across recognise that the most expensive part of the computer is now the
>> user. Making the user more productive (which is not the same as making
>> them busy) is the most important thing, this looks at what applications
>> are needed, which applications the user is most familiar with then once
>> those decisions have been made then the OS that they run on can be
>> decided.
>>

> Anyway, having read your job description I've decided I don't want to
> be an IT consultant. Too much touchy-feely holistic "work smarter, not
> harder" managerial gobbledy-gook. My "customers" phone me with a
> specific problem and expect a detailed solution pretty much straight
> away. For example........
>
> Three calls yesterday.
>
> Number one wanted advice on sending a 3MB jpg as an email attachment.
> Solution = Right-click/Open with GIMP/crop/scale/adjust colour levels
>(optional)/file save for web/resulting file was 130K
>
> Number two wanted to do a clean install of XP on a blank HD
> Solution=F2 at bootup/arrow to boot options/F5 CD-ROM to 1/insert XP
> CD/F10/product key is on the case
>
> Number three wanted to ditch the crippled webcam software that came
> bundled with XP for something more feature-filled.
> Solution=Boot into Ubuntu partition (one I prepared earlier)/Terminal/
> sudo apt-get install luvcview cheese avidemux/links to avidemux-wiki/
> talk through luvcview/cheese just follow your nose
>
> Specific problems and detailed solutions. If I had a chest they'd give
> me a medal.

Sorry, the help-desk job has been filled.