Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > ATI Win 7 x64 new drivers released yesterday

ATI Win 7 x64 new drivers released yesterday

Carlos

Ditto:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca.../win7-64-suite
Carlos

Charlie Russel - MVP

Avoid like the plague on Acer Ferrari. They'll load, but they've got issues.
Including blanked out screens you have to hard power off to recover from.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ditto:
> http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca.../win7-64-suite
> Carlos

R. C. White

Hi, Carlos and Charlie.

(Did you guys know about this?:
http://www.cncaustin.com/ )

My older (late 2006) ATI Radeon X1600 Pro, 512 MB, PCI-express runs just
fine on the drivers built into WinXP, Vista and Win7 x64.

For a decade or more, I visited ATI's website often to get the latest and
greatest drivers for my succession of ATI All-In-Wonder boards. But ATI
drug there feet on x64 support for such a long time that I stopped trying.
And I found out that the built-in drivers in Windows do all that I need. I
no longer chase the latest drivers and never did learn to use Catalyst.
Maybe I'm missing something that I don't even know about. But I'm a happy
camper. ;<)

For what it's worth, Device Manager says my driver is "Radeon X1600 Series
(Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)", from ATI, dated 3/10/2009, version
8.56.1.13, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

news:#p6nqf#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Avoid like the plague on Acer Ferrari. They'll load, but they've got
> issues. Including blanked out screens you have to hard power off to
> recover from.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ditto:
>> http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca.../win7-64-suite
>> Carlos

Charlie Russel - MVP

ROFLU!

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ukUWGi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Carlos and Charlie.
>
> (Did you guys know about this?:
> http://www.cncaustin.com/ )
>
> My older (late 2006) ATI Radeon X1600 Pro, 512 MB, PCI-express runs just
> fine on the drivers built into WinXP, Vista and Win7 x64.
>
> For a decade or more, I visited ATI's website often to get the latest and
> greatest drivers for my succession of ATI All-In-Wonder boards. But ATI
> drug there feet on x64 support for such a long time that I stopped trying.
> And I found out that the built-in drivers in Windows do all that I need.
> I no longer chase the latest drivers and never did learn to use Catalyst.
> Maybe I'm missing something that I don't even know about. But I'm a happy
> camper. ;<)
>
> For what it's worth, Device Manager says my driver is "Radeon X1600 Series
> (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)", from ATI, dated 3/10/2009, version
> 8.56.1.13, Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8064.0206) in Win7 Ultimate x64 RC 7100

> news:#p6nqf#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Avoid like the plague on Acer Ferrari. They'll load, but they've got
>> issues. Including blanked out screens you have to hard power off to
>> recover from.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Ditto:
>>> http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca.../win7-64-suite
>>> Carlos

Charlie Russel - MVP

Usually, the default drivers are fine, but not by any means "optimized".
They tend to be the focused on being as solid as possible, but not
necessarily as fast as possible. Updated drivers, when they work, will often
improve overall speed and responsiveness, especially if you're a gamer (I'm
not). That being said, they also have a higher likelihood of having a bug or
two, IME.