Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Download Speed Question

Download Speed Question

Bob L

I have three XP computers connected in a home network to a Linksys WRT54GS
router through Linksys WUSB54G (ver 4) wireless adaptors. For each computer
I downloaded the same 60 MB file from Garmin.com and got very different
download speeds.

Computer 1, a 2.6 GHz clone with an Intel mobo usually connected to the
router at 48 to 54 mbps, downloaded at 755 kB/sec.

Computer 2, a Dell 2.4 GHz 4600 desktop usually connected to the router
between 24 to 54 mbps, downloaded at 75 kB/sec.

Computer 3, a Dell 3.4 GHz 4700 desktop usually connected to the router
between 18 to 54 mbps, downloaded at 37 kB/sec

While Computer 1 seems to often have a better connection to the router,
would this alone explain the faster download speed? If not, what might I do
to speed up the two Dells?

Jack-MVP

Hi
What your Internet connection Speed is with wire?
Maybe this can Help.
Internet Speed Optimized - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
"Speed" (Bandwidth) expectation of Ethernet Home Networks -
http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...