Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > pdf display and frames?

pdf display and frames?

Helpful person

I have a link to a pdf file which opens fine, as expected. However,
what I would really like is to be able to open a window containing
both my navigation menu and the text inside the pdf. I am using HTML
4.01 strict and wish to continue to do so.

Can this be done using strict? Should I use the "frameset" DOCTYPE,
and if so what are the ramifications, both for now and the future?

Thanks.

Richard Fisher

Andy Dingley

On 6 May, 16:23, Helpful person <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> what I would really like is to be able to open a window containing
> both my navigation menu and the text inside the pdf. *I am using HTML
> 4.01 strict and wish to continue to do so.

That's a frameset, so use the frameset doctype. Use Strict for the
individual nav frame(s) within this.

> Can this be done using strict? *Should I use the "frameset" DOCTYPE,
> and if so what are the ramifications, both for now and the future?

Frameset as a doctype will be around for as long as there are frames.

Ari Heino

Andy Dingley kirjoitti seuraavasti:
> Frameset as a doctype will be around for as long as there are frames.

....and frames will be around for as long as there is the Frameset doctype?

--
Ari
http://users.utu.fi/athein/

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> writing
in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> My system opens
> PDF files in Foxit Reader.

Hurray for Foxit! Love that reader. Just had to comment.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Helpful person wrote:
> > I have a link to a pdf file which opens fine, as expected. However,
> > what I would really like is to be able to open a window containing
> > both my navigation menu and the text inside the pdf. I am using HTML
> > 4.01 strict and wish to continue to do so.
> >
> > Can this be done using strict? Should I use the "frameset" DOCTYPE,
> > and if so what are the ramifications, both for now and the future?

> Can't be done on my system no matter what your DOCTYPE. My system opens
> PDF files in Foxit Reader.

So, you can't enjoy quick and efficient peeks at pdf in your browser,
that is a bit of a shame... With a Mac, Ed, you can have a browser make
you a cup of coffee.

--
dorayme

wrote:

> It is a great little program, isn't it? I got fed up with the bloat in
> Adobe Reader.

I chucked Adobe plug-in a long time back, there are more efficient for
in browser looks at pdf...

--
dorayme

Neredbojias

On 06 May 2009, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>> On 06 May 2009, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> And I probably shouldn't bring this up but ... I have done business
>>> with Apple and I never liked the cultish and holier-than-thou aura
>>> that permeates Cupertino. No, it's not a dislike of success. I
>>> love success. That's how I retired at 52. I just don't care for
>>> superciliousness. I find it bad manners.

>> I worked for Cupertino. My immediate supervisor was a decent enough
>> guy but I got the "attitude vs. ability" speech once or twice. (My
>> attitude really was what might be termed "bad", sorta.) When crunch
>> time came, they kept me on longer than I expected, -longer than my
>> tenure deserved so to speak, but in the end I was sent down the
>> road. Now I guess I'm a road apple...
>>

> Yeah, I get that. Many years ago, after a nice long tenure at Sony,
> and known for being calm, considered and professional, I lost it
> during a meeting, slammed my hand on the table and said something on
> the order of: "Have you two lost your xxxxing minds?!!! This
> product is crap, nobody's gonna buy it, the only issue we have to
> deal with is when to crush all the inventory in the warehouse and how
> big a loss to book! And you two are sitting here coming up with
> cockamamie schemes to spend more money to sell something that no one
> wants. Get a xxxxing grip!"
>
> I left the company shortly thereafter. Very well compensated, I
> might add. And it felt /really/ good to have become so annoying that
> they paid me to go away.
>
> And, dammit, I told them not to build the damned thing. Oh well.
> Time marches on and history fades. Such is life.

Ya know, that's me, too. Not defending the right or wrong of it but
just saying it's _a_ way and the way I chose to choose. Inter-techy in
my "career", I worked for a major sports franchise whose team just
happened to make it to the highest of all their playoffs in my 2nd year
there. Well, they lost (fairly close margin), and I was tempted to
make a wisecrack but everybody looked so serious and
end-of-the-worldish that I didn't. A few days later I mentioned this
impulse to my dept's hama-hama saying, "I woulda but was afeerd they'd
fire me." He replied in all seriousness, "They would have." Anyway, I
lasted a bit over 3 years there then finally told this
jock-turned-event-manager-overnight dude to go f- himself and was
(-about 2 months later when the busy-busy was over) "requested" to take
my leave. ...And sure enough, within about a year I was making at
least twice as much (-though missed the glitter of the "big show"
somewhat, I do admit.) The new gig lasted 7+ years until crunch time
came again and the powers that be expected kiss-assing obeisance, etc.,
(which, of course, they didn't get.) I'll own-up to a couple-three
tough years after that, but now (and for the last 5 years or more)
things are peachy (-and I _don't_ mean to imply I've become an
itinerant worker...) The point is, right or wrong, I never could
suck-up to any boss's "wayward ideas" and I don't think you're the type
to, either.

--
Neredbojias
People who live in glass houses must feel funny peeing.

Helpful person

On May 6, 11:23*am, Helpful person <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a link to a pdf file which opens fine, as expected. *However,
> what I would really like is to be able to open a window containing
> both my navigation menu and the text inside the pdf. *I am using HTML
> 4.01 strict and wish to continue to do so.
>
> Can this be done using strict? *Should I use the "frameset" DOCTYPE,
> and if so what are the ramifications, both for now and the future?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Richard Fisher

Thanks everyone for your answers, even the off topic ones (they were
interesting). Looks like I need to learn about framesets.