Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Block toolbar install

Block toolbar install

Evan Platt

On Wed, 6 May 2009 03:22:08 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've worked in several companies that had this issue. The only
>effective solution was to enable the policies that prohibit people from
>installing anything at all. It was difficult to get the plan approved,
>but showing upper management how much money was wasted reconfiguring
>PCs made the case. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but HR
>made it clear that people were supposed to be *working* while they were
>being paid, not fooling around with PCs that were company property.

Simple solution.

Ghost the PC's.

Configure IMAP for all the employees mail.

Employee farks up system, you restore their system from ghost image.
Employee loses all configuration they've done.

They'll learn.

M.L.

>>I've worked in several companies that had this issue. The only
>>effective solution was to enable the policies that prohibit people from
>>installing anything at all. It was difficult to get the plan approved,
>>but showing upper management how much money was wasted reconfiguring
>>PCs made the case. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but HR
>>made it clear that people were supposed to be *working* while they were
>>being paid, not fooling around with PCs that were company property.

>Simple solution.
>
>Ghost the PC's.
>
>Configure IMAP for all the employees mail.
>
>Employee farks up system, you restore their system from ghost image.
>Employee loses all configuration they've done.

And lose all the company-owned data they've saved.

>They'll learn.

The company would suffer more than the employee. Restoring computers
every time a toolbar gets installed will be very labor intensive and
costly.

Evan Platt

On Wed, 06 May 2009 06:37:58 -0500, M.L. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Employee farks up system, you restore their system from ghost image.
>>Employee loses all configuration they've done.

>And lose all the company-owned data they've saved.

Data is stored to the server, not the workstation.

>The company would suffer more than the employee. Restoring computers
>every time a toolbar gets installed will be very labor intensive and
>costly.

Not if done properly. If properly configured, reimaging a system can
be a one step process for the tech doing it, and the employee is told
to take his lunch.

walter

M.L. wrote without attributing anything:

>>> I've worked in several companies that had this issue. The only
>>> effective solution was to enable the policies that prohibit people
>>> from installing anything at all. It was difficult to get the plan
>>> approved, but showing upper management how much money was wasted
>>> reconfiguring PCs made the case. There was much wailing and
>>> gnashing of teeth, but HR made it clear that people were supposed
>>> to be *working* while they were being paid, not fooling around with
>>> PCs that were company property.

>> Simple solution.
>>
>> Ghost the PC's.
>>
>> Configure IMAP for all the employees mail.
>>
>> Employee farks up system, you restore their system from ghost image.
>> Employee loses all configuration they've done.

> And lose all the company-owned data they've saved.
>
>> They'll learn.

> The company would suffer more than the employee. Restoring computers
> every time a toolbar gets installed will be very labor intensive and
> costly.

The OP has been given the '(re)solution', many times over. The (re)solution
is, there isn't (and cannot BE) a 'solution' while everybody on the LAN has
administrative rights.

As long as that company policy remains in effect, there is nothing the OP
can do that cannot be undone by anybody else.

My 'solution' would be to ask for permission to snatch admin accounts away
from everybody but himself and the boss. That way there's only 2 machines
to worry about.

There may be a reason (but I can't think of one) for everybody on a company
LAN to 'need' admin accounts, so he shouldn't have any trouble getting
permission from the boss to do just that.

Bucky Breeder

Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> perpetrated this via
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Charles wrote:
>
>> I was actually trying to find out if anyone else in this world finds
>> those toolbars annoying, and, if someone came up with a solution to
>> block them from installing, without removing the admin rights. Just a
>> simple technical question.

> I not only find toolbars annoying, I forbid them from existing on any of
> my machines or machines that employees use.
> There's utilities that will allow you to change the admin rights of the
> users but allow them to run selected apps in admin mode:
> http://www.steelsonic.com/steelrunas.htm
>
>> I've got some good answers, such as M.L.'s script idea, or disabling
>> third party browser extensions, from Center Parting's reply.
>> I don't know why I was under the impression that this was a tech
>> support group, I may have been wrong.

> You were wrong. There's nothing in the title of the group about tech
> support.
>
>> Do you think I can post my resume here as an attachment? If I just copy
>> and paste it, the formatting may be lost, and posting in HTML may raise
>> some eybrows.

> Attachments are not good, not good at all. But a link to a web page with
> all your pertinent financial info would be OK. A photo of your wife or
> girlfriend, adult female children and such would be welcome.

.... and a valid credit card number for faster "red-carpet" service!

And don't be snipping my "HTH"s. It's in the FAQs.

Thanks for your co-operation.

--

I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and whilst my huge stimulus package
may not save the US economy; it sure makes the wimmins happy!

Pay your taxes and keep Air Force One flying low over NYC :

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/.../hopenosis.gif

Bucky Breeder

"Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> perpetrated this via
news:WA3Ml.6812$(E-Mail Removed):

> You do have the power to pollute my thread with
> psycho-analysis and socio/political issues.

Normal Freudian:

If'n it ain't one thing, then it's your mother!

Aberrant Freudian:

If'n it ain't one thing, then it's your mothership.
(And that intense probing in your butt is 'cause you
live in a trailer park - and your seester is still
a virgin 'cause she don't has no teeth)

*Your* Freudian:

You whine like your mama! Did you start that after
your daddy left or because your daddy left? Always,
it's all in the Freudian!

> Maybe you don't know that much about computers, after all.

_*Computers*_? Hell, I doesn't even believe in them...

That stuff is only in them there moving picture show stories...
and books... ****ing books... read the Bible... it's all there.

> I posted the question to this entire group, not you in
> particular. You don't have to feel obligated to reply,
> if you don't know the answer.

Sometimes the answer was always in the question from the start.

Don't be snipping my "HTH"s. It's in the FAQs.

The softwares doesn't forces you to install the toolbars. The
toolbar authors pay the software authors some wampum for offering
the option. You just un-select, or de-click the option. Easy-peasy.

HTH.

--

I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and whilst my huge stimulus package
may not save the US economy; it sure makes the wimmins happy!

Pay your fiar taxes to keep bridges to nowhere being buildth :

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/.../hopenosis.gif

Top

After serious thinking M.L. wrote :

>>> I've worked in several companies that had this issue. The only
>>> effective solution was to enable the policies that prohibit people
>>> from installing anything at all. It was difficult to get the plan
>>> approved, but showing upper management how much money was wasted
>>> reconfiguring PCs made the case. There was much wailing and
>>> gnashing of teeth, but HR made it clear that people were supposed
>>> to be *working* while they were being paid, not fooling around with
>>> PCs that were company property.

>> Simple solution.
>>
>> Ghost the PC's.
>>
>> Configure IMAP for all the employees mail.
>>
>> Employee farks up system, you restore their system from ghost image.
>> Employee loses all configuration they've done.

> And lose all the company-owned data they've saved.
>
>> They'll learn.

> The company would suffer more than the employee. Restoring computers
> every time a toolbar gets installed will be very labor intensive and
> costly.

Then the data should be being saved on a server to start with.

Top

M.L.

>The OP has been given the '(re)solution', many times over. The (re)solution
>is, there isn't (and cannot BE) a 'solution' while everybody on the LAN has
>administrative rights.
>
>As long as that company policy remains in effect, there is nothing the OP
>can do that cannot be undone by anybody else.

Given that the OP implied that the employees were too inattentive to
uncheck a checkbox to avoid installing a toolbar that they didn't
necessarily want in the first place, I doubt they'd be interested in
undoing the OP's toolbar uninstall.

walter

M.L. wrote:

>> The OP has been given the '(re)solution', many times over. The
>> (re)solution is, there isn't (and cannot BE) a 'solution' while
>> everybody on the LAN has administrative rights.
>>
>> As long as that company policy remains in effect, there is nothing
>> the OP can do that cannot be undone by anybody else.

> Given that the OP implied that the employees were too inattentive to
> uncheck a checkbox to avoid installing a toolbar that they didn't
> necessarily want in the first place,

As stated; OP has been given the "solution" many times over.

> I doubt they'd be interested in
> undoing the OP's toolbar uninstall.

You don't know what "they'd" be interested in doing any more than I do.

Given the current XP configuraton (everybody's an admin) of the company LAN,
the only "solution" to the "installing toolbars" issue is for the OP to
convince the "boss" that it's best to take admin rights away from everybody
but the two of them.

Why is this even a discussion?

IF you're an admin AND I'm an admin on the same LAN, I can UNDO everything
you DO in a matter of moments.

The *ONLY* way to accomplish what the OP wants to do, and make SURE it will
*STICK* ... Is to take away admin rights from every
machine on the LAN but his own, and that of his boss. (Still waiting to
hear from OP as to why anyone else on the company LAN needs them.)

Assuming his boss will continue to download toolbars after that, he's only
gotta check in once a week or so on ONE machine, and either disable or
remove it/them.

funnicus funnicus is offline
Junior Member

Jeez, guy you aren't even supposed to be working on it, your boss is too stupid to do better, it's not your job, why are you bothering the public for free help for a company that isn't even paying you to do this? Companies that are so stupid should suffer the consequences, it's called competition and darwin's law. Let nature take it's course. Your company probably rips us off in between asking us for free help.