Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Block toolbar install

Block toolbar install

M.L.

>> I felt that my question was pretty simple:
>> 'Does anyone know if there's a way to block installing the Yahoo, Google, or
>> any browser toolbars?'
>> Please let me clarify that: I don't want to keep them from installing
>> software, I just want to block specific software, such as browser toolbars,
>> for both IE and FF. This has nothing to do with my job description.

Create an AutoIt script that, at bootup, checks for Yahoo and Google
toolbar uninstallers and, if present, silently uninstalls those
programs.

VanguardLH

Charles wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>>
>> Charles wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if there's a way to block installing the Yahoo,
>>> Google, or any browser toolbars? Every time you update Java,
>>> CCleaner, or others, these stupid toolbars are installed
>>> automatically. I know, if you choose custom install you can avoid
>>> them, but I am interested in a way to prevent installing them even
>>> if the user doesn't uncheck the box. I am dealing with a number of
>>> morons in our office, who don't have the common sense to look
>>> before they click 'Next', when installing an update.
>>> Unfortunatelly, they have administrator rights, and I can't change
>>> that. I am looking for a registry fix, or group policy, or
>>> something like that, not by installing anti-spyware programs.

>> You answered your own question. Those users are allowed to be
>> administrators. That means, well, that they are administrators.
>> You don't get any higher privileges than they do, and that means
>> anything you do to screw over (or unscrew) that they can do, too.
>> Obviously you don't have the power to establish company policies
>> and, for example, if the user violates them then they are not
>> granted permission to the network (i.e., they get to use a
>> standalone host and, as admins, get to pollute it however they
>> want).

> I felt that my question was pretty simple: 'Does anyone know if
> there's a way to block installing the Yahoo, Google, or any browser
> toolbars?' Please let me clarify that: I don't want to keep them from
> installing software, I just want to block specific software, such as
> browser toolbars, for both IE and FF. This has nothing to do with my
> job description.

You are an admin. They are an admin. How are you going to stop them
from installing anything? How are you going to prevent them from
unblocking what you block? They're admins. They get to do everything
you get to do.

I suppose you could try using software restriction policies
(gpedit.msc, Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security
Settings -> Software Restriction Policies -> Additional Rules). If you
don't see subnodes under this tree node, right-click and select to add
new rules (I've already done this so I cannot see this context menu).
However, that only prevents the executable from loading, not from it
getting installed. I haven't tried it against ActiveX controls (.ocx)
so I don't know if SRP blocks the load of non-directly executable
files. According to
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc782792.aspx,
SRP applies to multiple types of files, including ActiveX controls.

Of course, the same SRP policies that you define on the host or push to
it on a domain are the same ones that the admin-level users can delete.
All policies are, after all, just changes in the registry and admin
users can edit the registry. They can even define .reg files and use a
shortcut in their Startup group to run "regedit.exe /s <file>.reg" that
automatically undoes your policies pushed to their host.

You had better discuss with the managers of the groups of users that
you intend to afflict with your SRPs. Since you obviously do not have
authority over them nor the power to establish or enforce company
policies regarding software installations on company property, you
could find yourself in hot water in violating THEIR use of THEIR
resources. You may also find that some departments consider their
hosts to be regulated by themselves and NOT by anyone in the IT
department. In software QA, everyone of our desktop hosts is used in
testing and we must know the exact configuration of the host. That
means the IT folks are *not* allowed to push any policies that we are
unaware about and have not granted permission. Nowadays there are
plenty of candidates waiting to take over an sysadmin's job so consider
how you may end up jeopardizing your employment if not going through
proper channels to make changes to the employees' hosts. It appears
that you do not have the authority to make the changes that you
propose. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Whiskers

On 2009-05-04, Charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if there's a way to block installing the Yahoo, Google, or
> any browser toolbars?
> Every time you update Java, CCleaner, or others, these stupid toolbars are
> installed automatically. I know, if you choose custom install you can avoid
> them, but I am interested in a way to prevent installing them even if the
> user doesn't uncheck the box. I am dealing with a number of morons in our
> office, who don't have the common sense to look before they click 'Next',
> when installing an update. Unfortunatelly, they have administrator rights,
> and I can't change that.
> I am looking for a registry fix, or group policy, or something like that,
> not by installing anti-spyware programs.
>
> Thanks!

Who makes IT policy, and who applies it? Apparently not you, so it isn't
your problem.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Bucky Breeder

"Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> perpetrated this via
news:nqTLl.15633$(E-Mail Removed):

> This has nothing to do with my job description.

What exactly is your job description? You should always
post your job description so someone can post an appropriate
answer to your queries. But never post post your true job
description. You should munge it and disguise it fairly
well so nobody has a good idea of what exactly it is.
Only then can the gurus formulate your solution and indeed,
your destiny.

HTH.

--

I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and whilst my huge stimulus package
may not save the US economy; it sure makes the wimmins happy!

Pay your taxes and keep Congress in SUVs and summer homes :

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/.../hopenosis.gif

Charles

"Bucky Breeder" <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.i t.out>
wrote in message news:Xns9C029592C2F9ABuckyGram@216.151.153.22...
> "Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> perpetrated this via
> news:nqTLl.15633$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> This has nothing to do with my job description.

> What exactly is your job description? You should always
> post your job description so someone can post an appropriate
> answer to your queries. But never post post your true job
> description. You should munge it and disguise it fairly
> well so nobody has a good idea of what exactly it is.
> Only then can the gurus formulate your solution and indeed,
> your destiny.

snip

I was actually trying to find out if anyone else in this world finds those
toolbars annoying, and, if someone came up with a solution to block them
from installing, without removing the admin rights. Just a simple technical
question.
I've got some good answers, such as M.L.'s script idea, or disabling third
party browser extensions, from Center Parting's reply.
I don't know why I was under the impression that this was a tech support
group, I may have been wrong.
Do you think I can post my resume here as an attachment? If I just copy and
paste it, the formatting may be lost, and posting in HTML may raise some
eybrows.
Please provide a complete list of all documents necessary. I can also make
available my birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate, bank account
statement, tax returns, employment contract and credit report.

Charles

news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> In article <gaULl.2290$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>

> <snip>
>>
>> There are tehnical answers to socio/political problems. Weapons, for
>> example.

> No, your're wrong.

That was a very powerful argument, backed by undisputable evidence. I took
note of it right away!

>> You don't understand, you just think you do.

> Oh, but I do.

Thanks, I needed your confirmation.

>> This is not a question of
>> 'whodunnit', of course I repeatedly told everyone to look before they
>> click
>> 'next'. They are oblivious of it, they just want to get the update over
>> with
>> asap, and don't pay attention.
>> I am not the kind of guy who answers a cry for help, with: "It's not my
>> job!"

> No, you're the kind of guy that wants to curry favor with people by
> looking like some sort of technical computer expert when your're not.

I never claimed to be a computer expert, that's why I posted here.
Fortunately, you were kind enough to share some of your valuable expertise.

>> Again, this has nothing to do with my job description, the state of the
>> economy, swine flu, or the conflict in the Middle East.

> You really go out of you're way to avoid the obvious. You're afraid to
> tell the boss to fix his own mess that he made.

I'm not afraid, I'll waterboard him the next time he tries to update Java.

> The first time it happens you fix it for him and show hin why it happened
> and how to avoid or fix it himself. After that he's on his own. That is
> unless you're trying to curry favor or look impressive, in which case
> you've brought this situation on yourself, enjoy it.
>
>> If you can answer, I appreciate it, if not, I'll appreciate if you let
>> someone else do it.

> You got your answer. Others are telling you the same thing. And I'm not
> stopping anybody else from answering. I wouldn't do that even if I had
> the power.

You do have the power to pollute my thread with psycho-analysis and
socio/political issues. Maybe you don't know that much about computers,
after all.
I posted the question to this entire group, not you in particular. You don't
have to feel obligated to reply, if you don't know the answer.

Art

Charles wrote:
> "Bucky Breeder" <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.i t.out>
> wrote in message news:Xns9C029592C2F9ABuckyGram@216.151.153.22...
>> "Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> perpetrated this via
>> news:nqTLl.15633$(E-Mail Removed):
>>> This has nothing to do with my job description.

>> What exactly is your job description? You should always
>> post your job description so someone can post an appropriate
>> answer to your queries. But never post post your true job
>> description. You should munge it and disguise it fairly
>> well so nobody has a good idea of what exactly it is.
>> Only then can the gurus formulate your solution and indeed,
>> your destiny.
>>

> snip
>
> I was actually trying to find out if anyone else in this world finds those
> toolbars annoying, and, if someone came up with a solution to block them
> from installing, without removing the admin rights. Just a simple technical
> question.
> I've got some good answers, such as M.L.'s script idea, or disabling third
> party browser extensions, from Center Parting's reply.
> I don't know why I was under the impression that this was a tech support
> group, I may have been wrong.
> Do you think I can post my resume here as an attachment? If I just copy and
> paste it, the formatting may be lost, and posting in HTML may raise some
> eybrows.
> Please provide a complete list of all documents necessary. I can also make
> available my birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate, bank account
> statement, tax returns, employment contract and credit report.

Don't forget your SSN.

--
Art

SteveBell

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>"Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>Does anyone know if there's a way to block installing the Yahoo,
>>>Google, or any browser toolbars?
>>>Every time you update Java, CCleaner, or others, these stupid
>>>toolbars are installed automatically. I know, if you choose
>>>custom install you can avoid them, but I am interested in a way
>>>to prevent installing them even if the user doesn't uncheck the
>>>box. I am dealing with a number of morons in our office, who
>>>don't have the common sense to look before they click 'Next',
>>>when installing an update. Unfortunatelly, they have
>>>administrator rights, and I can't change that. I am looking for
>>>a registry fix, or group policy, or something like that, not by
>>>installing anti-spyware programs.

>>Left WinKey+R, will open the Run command <type in>
>>SECPOL.MSC
>><enter>
>>
>>Find a policy that will do what you want (XP pro only)

>Your answer is very close, but I don't think I can block specific
>software (browser toolbars) from being installed, that way. Not for
>Firefox, anyway. I was hoping that someone might know of a way to
>prevent any software containing words like 'Yahoo' or 'Google', from
>being installed. On the other hand, Google is the favorite homepage,
>so I can't block it in their hosts file. I don't have anything
>against Google, but I don't see any reason for a Google toolbar, when
>your browser home page is already set to Google, same goes for Yahoo.

I've worked in several companies that had this issue. The only
effective solution was to enable the policies that prohibit people from
installing anything at all. It was difficult to get the plan approved,
but showing upper management how much money was wasted reconfiguring
PCs made the case. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but HR
made it clear that people were supposed to be *working* while they were
being paid, not fooling around with PCs that were company property.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

Charles wrote in news:_c3Ml.4909$%(E-Mail Removed):

> "Bucky Breeder"
> <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.i t.out> wrote in
> message news:Xns9C029592C2F9ABuckyGram@216.151.153.22...
>> "Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> perpetrated this via
>> news:nqTLl.15633$(E-Mail Removed):
>>>
>>> This has nothing to do with my job description.

>> What exactly is your job description? You should always
>> post your job description so someone can post an appropriate
>> answer to your queries. But never post post your true job
>> description. You should munge it and disguise it fairly
>> well so nobody has a good idea of what exactly it is.
>> Only then can the gurus formulate your solution and indeed,
>> your destiny.
>>

> snip
>
> I was actually trying to find out if anyone else in this world finds
> those toolbars annoying, and, if someone came up with a solution to
> block them from installing, without removing the admin rights. Just a
> simple technical question.
> I've got some good answers, such as M.L.'s script idea, or disabling
> third party browser extensions, from Center Parting's reply.
> I don't know why I was under the impression that this was a tech
> support group, I may have been wrong.

microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
mozilla.firefox.support

I suggest you crosspost the question to both.

I don't know the answer to your technical question but I do understand
the situation in your office, and it made me miss my old boss so much, I
sent him an email.

You should be able to get an answer from one of the groups listed above
without all the lecturing you have received here.

You might also try alt.privacy.spyware as a third alternative.

And if you're really brave, you can give this a whirl:

> Do you think I can post my resume here as an attachment? If I just
> copy and paste it, the formatting may be lost, and posting in HTML
> may raise some eybrows.
> Please provide a complete list of all documents necessary. I can also
> make available my birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate,
> bank account statement, tax returns, employment contract and credit
> report.

You forgot high school and college transcripts, as well as medical
records.

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will
scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will
refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something
which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he
will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is
explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Charles wrote in news:_c3Ml.4909$%(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> "Bucky Breeder"
>> <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.i t.out> wrote in
>> message news:Xns9C029592C2F9ABuckyGram@216.151.153.22...
>>> "Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> perpetrated this via
>>> news:nqTLl.15633$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> What exactly is your job description? You should always
>>> post your job description so someone can post an appropriate
>>> answer to your queries. But never post post your true job
>>> description. You should munge it and disguise it fairly
>>> well so nobody has a good idea of what exactly it is.
>>> Only then can the gurus formulate your solution and indeed,
>>> your destiny.
>>>

>> snip
>>
>> I was actually trying to find out if anyone else in this world finds
>> those toolbars annoying, and, if someone came up with a solution to
>> block them from installing, without removing the admin rights. Just a
>> simple technical question.
>> I've got some good answers, such as M.L.'s script idea, or disabling
>> third party browser extensions, from Center Parting's reply.
>> I don't know why I was under the impression that this was a tech
>> support group, I may have been wrong.

> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> mozilla.firefox.support
>
> I suggest you crosspost the question to both.
>
> I don't know the answer to your technical question but I do understand
> the situation in your office, and it made me miss my old boss so
> much, I sent him an email.
>
> You should be able to get an answer from one of the groups listed
> above without all the lecturing you have received here.
>
> You might also try alt.privacy.spyware as a third alternative.
>
> And if you're really brave, you can give this a whirl:

>> Do you think I can post my resume here as an attachment? If I just
>> copy and paste it, the formatting may be lost, and posting in HTML
>> may raise some eybrows.
>> Please provide a complete list of all documents necessary. I can also
>> make available my birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate,
>> bank account statement, tax returns, employment contract and credit
>> report.

> You forgot high school and college transcripts, as well as medical
> records.

After doing some googling and considering all the discussion at Calendar
of Updates on the subject of bundled software, I think you may be SOL.
If there were a solution like the one you're hunting, it would probably
be here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_toolbars

But it's not.

One thing you might try is disabling instead of removing the toolbars.
If the disable instruction holds through updates and reinstalls, you
won't have to worry about it any more.