Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Strange download speeds

Strange download speeds

Kiwiboy

Hi there

We finally got broadband a few months ago, and I have been
experienceing some very strange download speeds that I am hoping
someone can shed some light on for me.
The computer I use most of the time is a P4 1.8 Mhz, 512 Mb Ram
running Windows XP S3.
When downloading, the download speed is around 16-20 Kbs, and
sometimes 25Kbs. I can download several files at the same time - all
at this speed. I have tried it using Opera, Firefox and IE8 and all
are the same speed. I have run a small program that shows me the
speed my broadband is going at, it is accurate - as the speed shown
goes up with each extra download. Also when watching streaming TV, the
download speed is well over 100Kbs.
We also have been using a wireless laptop in the house, a Celeron
1.4Ghz, 512Kb Ram, running Windows XP S2, and that will download (at
the same time as the desktop is downloading) at about 80Kbs, using
IE7.
And yesterday I attached my old iMac, a very old 233Mhz machine, I
think it has 128Kb Ram, it may have 256Kb, running OS 9.2.2, and that
was getting download speeds over 100Kbs!!
Does anyone know why my desktop is getting such low download speeds,
it is very frustrating.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Troy

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Kiwiboy wrote:
> Hi there
>
> We finally got broadband a few months ago, and I have been
> experienceing some very strange download speeds that I am hoping
> someone can shed some light on for me.
> The computer I use most of the time is a P4 1.8 Mhz, 512 Mb Ram
> running Windows XP S3.
> When downloading, the download speed is around 16-20 Kbs, and
> sometimes 25Kbs. I can download several files at the same time - all
> at this speed. I have tried it using Opera, Firefox and IE8 and all
> are the same speed. I have run a small program that shows me the
> speed my broadband is going at, it is accurate - as the speed shown
> goes up with each extra download. Also when watching streaming TV, the
> download speed is well over 100Kbs.
> We also have been using a wireless laptop in the house, a Celeron
> 1.4Ghz, 512Kb Ram, running Windows XP S2, and that will download (at
> the same time as the desktop is downloading) at about 80Kbs, using
> IE7.
> And yesterday I attached my old iMac, a very old 233Mhz machine, I
> think it has 128Kb Ram, it may have 256Kb, running OS 9.2.2, and that
> was getting download speeds over 100Kbs!!
> Does anyone know why my desktop is getting such low download speeds,
> it is very frustrating.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

My first thing would be to look for new drivers for the network card in the
desktop, maybe even a new network card as they're cheap...

Good luck,
--
Shaun.

Kiwiboy

On May 5, 11:02*am, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Kiwiboy wrote:
>

> > Hi there

> > We finally got broadband a few months ago, and I have been
> > experienceing some very strange download speeds that I am hoping
> > someone can shed some light on for me.
> > The computer I use most of the time is a P4 1.8 Mhz, 512 Mb Ram
> > running Windows XP S3.
> > When downloading, the download speed is around 16-20 Kbs, and
> > sometimes 25Kbs. I can download several files at the same time - all
> > at this speed. I have tried it using Opera, Firefox and IE8 and all
> > are the same speed. *I have run a small program that shows me the
> > speed my broadband is going at, it is accurate - as the speed shown
> > goes up with each extra download. Also when watching streaming TV, the
> > download speed is well over 100Kbs.
> > We also have been using a wireless laptop in the house, a Celeron
> > 1.4Ghz, 512Kb Ram, running Windows XP S2, and that will download (at
> > the same time as the desktop is downloading) at about 80Kbs, using
> > IE7.
> > And yesterday I attached my old iMac, a very old 233Mhz machine, I
> > think it has 128Kb Ram, it may have 256Kb, running OS 9.2.2, and that
> > was getting download speeds over 100Kbs!!
> > Does anyone know why my desktop is getting such low download speeds,
> > it is very frustrating.

> > Any help is greatly appreciated.

> My first thing would be to look for new drivers for the network card in the
> desktop, maybe even a new network card as they're cheap...
>
> Good luck,
> --
> Shaun.
>
> "Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and
> he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo.

Thanks Shaun, I would look into the drivers when I get home this
evening

Mark C

Kiwiboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed)
om:

> We finally got broadband a few months ago, and I have been
> experienceing some very strange download speeds that I am hoping
> someone can shed some light on for me.

Every Windows OS usually needs TCP tweaking to get the best speeds
for broadband.

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=157
http://www.speedguide.net:8080/

Change TCPWindowSize in your registry, either using a tool, or
manually. I wouldn't bother changing any of the other settings: they
are likely fine as they are.
(I would make sure your MTU is set to 1500 or thereabouts.)

I use DrTCP for my tweaks:
http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

You didn't by any chance a long time ago run a tweaker program that
optimized your dialup? It may have tuned TCP for dialup speeds, the
stuff above should fix that.

Mark

Stephen Worthington

On 05 May 2009 03:12:51 GMT, Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Kiwiboy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>om:
>
>> We finally got broadband a few months ago, and I have been
>> experienceing some very strange download speeds that I am hoping
>> someone can shed some light on for me.

>Every Windows OS usually needs TCP tweaking to get the best speeds
>for broadband.
>
>http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=157
>http://www.speedguide.net:8080/
>
>Change TCPWindowSize in your registry, either using a tool, or
>manually. I wouldn't bother changing any of the other settings: they
>are likely fine as they are.
>(I would make sure your MTU is set to 1500 or thereabouts.)
>
>I use DrTCP for my tweaks:
>http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
>
>You didn't by any chance a long time ago run a tweaker program that
>optimized your dialup? It may have tuned TCP for dialup speeds, the
>stuff above should fix that.
>
>Mark

The Vista TCP/IP stack automatically adjusts the window size, so no
tweaking is normally required. You can notice it doing the adjustment
as the download speed can start out slow and then speed up
dramatically after a short while.

Strange upload/download speeds NervSys Computer Support 1 02-24-2009 11:39 PM
Internet Sharing: Equal upload speeds but un-equal download speeds =?Utf-8?B?TkpU?= Wireless Networking 3 09-15-2007 06:22 AM
strange speeds kryglik Ruby 5 01-03-2006 12:49 PM
Core speeds and memory speeds??? Xeno Chauvin Computer Support 1 10-03-2003 03:21 AM
Strange CD-R Speeds MELT Computer Support 13 07-22-2003 04:04 AM

Advertisments