Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > IE 8

James D. Andrews

Those of you who have upgraded to IE 8, how's it working?

I'm also one of those people who resist change.
We tried running IE 7 and it crashed the hell out of our computers (XP SP2).
We removed IE 7 and everything is hunky dory. I read IE 8 was supposed to
be better than IE 7 (fixing some of its bugs), but I haven't heard from
users yet.

One of my concerns is that supposedly IE 8 is designed to not allow you to
new MS product, more and more control is taken away from us users. I know I
can always go to other browsers out there, but like I said, I hate change
and I'd like to keep that as my last option.

So, how's it working?

Woof

Jeff Strickland

"James D. Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rdJLl.21600$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Those of you who have upgraded to IE 8, how's it working?

I skipped IE7 -- I went directly from 6 to 8. I've been running IE8 for
about a week, and it seems to be working okay for me.

tony sayer

In article <gtnod4$3cm$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jeff Strickland
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus

>"James D. Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:rdJLl.21600$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Those of you who have upgraded to IE 8, how's it working?
>>

>I skipped IE7 -- I went directly from 6 to 8. I've been running IE8 for
>about a week, and it seems to be working okay for me.

And theres always Firefox which I find a lot of people prefer;!...
--
Tony Sayer

James D. Andrews

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gtnod4$3cm$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "James D. Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:rdJLl.21600$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Those of you who have upgraded to IE 8, how's it working?
>>

> I skipped IE7 -- I went directly from 6 to 8. I've been running IE8 for
> about a week, and it seems to be working okay for me.

Any significant improvements?

Woof

James D. Andrews

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gtpvu0$c5p$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "James D. Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsW_Ll.18606$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gtnod4$3cm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "James D. Andrews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:rdJLl.21600$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> I skipped IE7 -- I went directly from 6 to 8. I've been running IE8 for
>>> about a week, and it seems to be working okay for me.
>>>

>> Any significant improvements?

>SNIP SNIP>

> IE8 allows Tabbed Browsing, which should be faster than opening new
> instances of the browser when a new page is desired.
>
> IE8 does a couple of things that I'd like to turn off. It grays-out the
> active address except for the actual <address>.com part. If you were on
> www.addressyoulike.com/somedeeperpage, the only part that shows black in
> the address box is "addressyoulike.com", the http://www. and
> /somedeeperpage parts are gray. I don't suppose it matters, but I do not
> like it.
>
> I do not particularly care for the IE7 and later webpage presentation, but
> this seems to be the way MSoft is going. The new presentation seems to
> follow the Office 2007 conventions. I am an advanced user of Office Suite
> applications, and when they migrated to Office 2007, I find the menus and
> such are not as intuitive as I would like. The entire presentation of
> Office apps is different with the 2007 version. I greatly prefer the
> earlier versions.

The Tabbed Browsing sounds like a nice feature. I wonder what the thinking
was for the gray addresses. I guess just a way of distinguishing the site
from the individual page. Who knows with MS?

I'm still using Office 2000 Premium - still happy with it. I live by the
philosophy, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Of course, with every release,
there are new features, but then again, the new features are not always
good. I just don't need to upgrade my OSs and software every time MS wants
me to. On an extrememely fixed income, I can't afford to keep up, so I'm
usually the last to get to new stuff. Actually, I get a lot at Yard Sales
from people who have upgraded. I got 2 copies of above mentioned Office
2007 and assorted other programs all in a container for $2 total. Bought
Diablo (I) for 50c. I paid $10 for 4 working Pentium IIIs.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably think about it for a week before I bite
the bullet and put it in.

Woof

TeeJay1952

has a converter for you.