Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Priest's Retirement Dinner:

Reply
Thread Tools

Priest's Retirement Dinner:

 
 
*Less*
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2009
----- Original Message -----
Subject: Priest's Retirement Dinner


Retirement Dinner

A Priest was being honored at his retirement dinner after 25 years in the parish. A leading local politician and member
of the congregation was chosen to make the presentation and to give a little speech at the dinner.

However, he was delayed, so the Priest decided to say his own few words while they waited:


'I got my first impression of the parish from the first confession I heard here. I thought I had been assigned to a
terrible place. The very first person who entered my confessional told me he had stolen a television set and, when
questioned by the police, was able to lie his way out of it. He had stolen money from his parents, embezzled from his
employer, had an affair with his boss's wife, taken illegal drugs, and gave VD to his sister. I was appalled. But as
the days went on I learned that my people were not all like that and I had, indeed, come to a fine parish full of good
and loving people.'...

Just as the Priest finished his talk, the politician arrived full of apologies at being late. He immediately began to
make the presentation and gave his talk.

'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the politician. 'In fact, I had the honor of being the
first person to go to him for confession.'


Moral: Never, Never, Never Be Late


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2009
On Mon, 4 May 2009 08:03:40 -0500, "*Less*" <*(E-Mail Removed)*> wrote:

>----- Original Message -----
>Subject: Priest's Retirement Dinner
>
>
>Retirement Dinner
>
>A Priest was being honored at his retirement dinner after 25 years in the parish. A leading local politician and member
>of the congregation was chosen to make the presentation and to give a little speech at the dinner.
>
>However, he was delayed, so the Priest decided to say his own few words while they waited:
>
>
>'I got my first impression of the parish from the first confession I heard here. I thought I had been assigned to a
>terrible place. The very first person who entered my confessional told me he had stolen a television set and, when
>questioned by the police, was able to lie his way out of it. He had stolen money from his parents, embezzled from his
>employer, had an affair with his boss's wife, taken illegal drugs, and gave VD to his sister. I was appalled. But as
>the days went on I learned that my people were not all like that and I had, indeed, come to a fine parish full of good
>and loving people.'...
>
>Just as the Priest finished his talk, the politician arrived full of apologies at being late. He immediately began to
>make the presentation and gave his talk.
>
>'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the politician. 'In fact, I had the honor of being the
>first person to go to him for confession.'
>
>
>Moral: Never, Never, Never Be Late


Problem with that is, anonymity. Niether the priest nor the parishoner
knows who the other is. After awhile though, one might have an
educated guess as to who the other is but certainly not on the first
shot.

Granted, small churches might make that easy to do.

Then again, I wonder just how many politicians that scenario could
easily be matched to?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2009
On Mon, 04 May 2009 08:42:38 -0500, Lookout <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 04 May 2009 09:27:38 -0400, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 4 May 2009 08:03:40 -0500, "*Less*" <*(E-Mail Removed)*> wrote:
>>
>>>----- Original Message -----
>>>Subject: Priest's Retirement Dinner
>>>
>>>
>>>Retirement Dinner
>>>
>>>A Priest was being honored at his retirement dinner after 25 years in the parish. A leading local politician and member
>>>of the congregation was chosen to make the presentation and to give a little speech at the dinner.
>>>
>>>However, he was delayed, so the Priest decided to say his own few words while they waited:
>>>
>>>
>>>'I got my first impression of the parish from the first confession I heard here. I thought I had been assigned to a
>>>terrible place. The very first person who entered my confessional told me he had stolen a television set and, when
>>>questioned by the police, was able to lie his way out of it. He had stolen money from his parents, embezzled from his
>>>employer, had an affair with his boss's wife, taken illegal drugs, and gave VD to his sister. I was appalled. But as
>>>the days went on I learned that my people were not all like that and I had, indeed, come to a fine parish full of good
>>>and loving people.'...
>>>
>>>Just as the Priest finished his talk, the politician arrived full of apologies at being late. He immediately began to
>>>make the presentation and gave his talk.
>>>
>>>'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the politician. 'In fact, I had the honor of being the
>>>first person to go to him for confession.'
>>>
>>>
>>>Moral: Never, Never, Never Be Late

>>
>>Problem with that is, anonymity. Niether the priest nor the parishoner
>>knows who the other is. After awhile though, one might have an
>>educated guess as to who the other is but certainly not on the first
>>shot.

>
>Non-catholics just don't get it.
>


I may not be a catholic, but that doesn't mean I "don't get it".
I do understand that there are times when a priest and parishoner are
face to face and know who each other are.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2009
*Less* wrote:
header:
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

body multiparts:
Content-Type: text/plain;

Content-Type: text/html;

There's a problem with the way this was posted, most importantly the html.
Newsgroup posts should be plaintext.

Secondly is the plaintext portion of the html multipart, which is
formatted in 'longlines' which wrapping leads to awkward shortlines.

Your OE should be configured to post to newsgroups in plaintext only, not
html, which plaintext should have linelengths of about 72-74.

> 'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the
> politician. 'In fact, I had the honor of being the first person to go
> to him for confession.'




--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
chuckcar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2009
richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 4 May 2009 08:03:40 -0500, "*Less*" <*(E-Mail Removed)*> wrote:


>
> Problem with that is, anonymity. Niether the priest nor the parishoner
> knows who the other is.


Of course they do. Besides it's a joke FCS.



--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
*Less*
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2009

"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message ...
> *Less* wrote:
> header:
> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
> Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
>
> body multiparts:
> Content-Type: text/plain;
>
> Content-Type: text/html;
>
> There's a problem with the way this was posted, most importantly the html.
> Newsgroup posts should be plaintext.
>
> Secondly is the plaintext portion of the html multipart, which is
> formatted in 'longlines' which wrapping leads to awkward shortlines.
>
> Your OE should be configured to post to newsgroups in plaintext only, not
> html, which plaintext should have linelengths of about 72-74.
>
>> 'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the
>> politician. 'In fact, I had the honor of being the first person to go
>> to him for confession.'

>
>
>
> --
> Mike Easter


Hello Mike,

I have changed my OE format settings to plain test, with wrapping set @ 80 characters.
I am going to repost using the copy/paste method, and see if it will be any improvement.

"Less*



----- Original Message -----
Subject: FW: Priest's Retirement Dinner


Retirement Dinner

A Priest was being honored at his retirement dinner after 25 years in the parish. A
leading local politician and member of the congregation was chosen to make the
presentation and to give a little speech at the dinner.

However, he was delayed, so the Priest decided to say his own few words while they waited:


'I got my first impression of the parish from the first confession I heard here. I
thought I had been assigned to a terrible place. The very first person who entered my
confessional told me he had stolen a television set and, when questioned by the police,
was able to lie his way out of it. He had stolen money from his parents, embezzled from
his employer, had an affair with his boss's wife, taken illegal drugs, and gave VD to his
sister. I was appalled. But as the days went on I learned that my people were not all
like that and I had, indeed, come to a fine parish full of good and loving people.'...

Just as the Priest finished his talk, the politician arrived full of apologies at being
late. He immediately began to make the presentation and gave his talk.

'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the politician. 'In
fact, I had the honor of being the first person to go to him for confession.'


Moral: Never, Never, Never Be Late






















 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2009
*Less* wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> Your OE should be configured to post to newsgroups in plaintext only, not
>> html, which plaintext should have linelengths of about 72-74.



>> --
>> Mike Easter


You didn't trim my sig. Your OE doesn't do auto sig trimming, so you
have to manually trim the sig along with all of the other lines which
you should be manually trimming.

Trimming means to trim/ edit out/ every single line to which you aren't
directly responding.

Contextualizing means to place your reply words directly under an empty
line which is directly below only the words/line to which you reply. Do
not top post and do not bottom post untrimmed.

> I have changed my OE format settings to plain test, with wrapping set @
> 80 characters.


Thank you for the plaintext. I disagree with the choice of the 9- char
longlines. They will wrap badly when cited by those whose linelengths
are less, which is almost everyone.

> I am going to repost using the copy/paste method, and see if it will be
> any improvement.


It is definitely an improvement. And I think it can be improved some more.



--
Mike Easter
 
Reply With Quote
 
*Less*
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-06-2009

"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message .
> *Less* wrote:
>> "Mike Easter"
>>> Your OE should be configured to post to newsgroups in plaintext only,
>>> not
>>> html, which plaintext should have linelengths of about 72-74.


I am taking your advice on line wrapping, it is set @ 74 Characters,
and reposting below here to see if there is any further improvement.

> You didn't trim my sig. Your OE doesn't do auto sig trimming, so you
> have to manually trim the sig along with all of the other lines which
> you should be manually trimming.


While ago I trimmed a Sig. of someone I was replying to and he got upset
and since then I haven't trimmed any more Sigs.


> Do not top post and do not bottom post untrimmed.


I am on couple different NG's. often a conversation starts and some
replies
come top posted, and some bottom posted, my answers will be posted
accordingly
to prevent the flow break.

> It is definitely an improvement. And I think it can be improved some
> more.


I will do my best at times it hard to be perfect in everything, I do not
visit this NG.
like I used to since those Spammers came along and messed up the whole
24hours Desk.

Thanks for your hinds on how to post correctly to NG's.

*Less*

Here it is @ 74 chars. line wrap.

----- Original Message -----
Subject: FW: Priest's Retirement Dinner
Retirement Dinner

A Priest was being honoured at his retirement dinner after 25 years in the
parish. A leading local politician and member of the congregation was
chosen to make the presentation and to give a little speech at the dinner.

However, he was delayed, so the Priest decided to say his own few words
while they waited:


'I got my first impression of the parish from the first confession I heard
here. I thought I had been assigned to a terrible place. The very first
person who entered my confessional told me he had stolen a television set
and, when questioned by the police, was able to lie his way out of it. He
had stolen money from his parents, embezzled from his employer, had an
affair with his boss's wife, taken illegal drugs, and gave VD to his
sister. I was appalled. But as the days went on I learned that my
people were not all like that and I had, indeed, come to a fine parish
full of good and loving people.'...

Just as the Priest finished his talk, the politician arrived full of
apologies at being late. He immediately began to make the presentation
and gave his talk.

'I'll never forget the first day our parish Priest arrived,' said the
politician. 'In fact, I had the honor of being the first person to go to
him for confession.'


Moral: Never, Never, Never Be Late




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MCSD 70-3xx .NET Retirement? hezekiahmunson MCSD 3 06-07-2004 05:14 PM
MCSD Retirement Question Kevin MCSD 24 04-22-2004 05:43 AM
ms 2000 server retirement plans official Rowdy Yates MCSE 1 12-19-2003 05:20 PM
Here is Microsoft's list of product support retirement dates: MCSD 0 12-09-2003 04:37 PM
Exams Schedule for Retirement Mike MCSE 1 07-07-2003 12:43 PM



Advertisments