Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Scenic areas in England

Scenic areas in England

Shawn Hirn

Hi everyone;

I will be visiting England on a very brief stay. I will have two days in
London, two days in Norwich, and two days in Liverpool early next month.
I am an avid amateur photographer. I am wondering if anyone on this
newsgroup can suggest areas of those three cities where I can go to
shoot some interesting photographs, but that are not like the ones
everyone else who visits those areas is likely to shoot. For example, is
there any tall buildings where I can get access to the roof legally
where I can shoot some interesting photos, or some unique parks, etc.?
Note that I will be relying 100% on public transportation.

boris spider

"Shawn Hirn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone;
>
> I will be visiting England on a very brief stay. I will have two days in
> London, two days in Norwich, and two days in Liverpool early next month.
> I am an avid amateur photographer. I am wondering if anyone on this
> newsgroup can suggest areas of those three cities where I can go to
> shoot some interesting photographs, but that are not like the ones
> everyone else who visits those areas is likely to shoot. For example, is
> there any tall buildings where I can get access to the roof legally
> where I can shoot some interesting photos, or some unique parks, etc.?
> Note that I will be relying 100% on public transportation.

The most Central high point in London is the London Eye or Millenium
Wheel right on the river Thames. Although it costs 17 per adult.

http://www.londoneye.com/TicketsAndP...x?promoType=fb

From there you could travel on a waterbus on the Thames to Greenwich which
not only has the Naval Hospital buildings but the Observatory with the
Greenwich meridian at the top of the hill and the view across London.
Plus shots on the river itself from the bus.

Parliament Hill which is part of Hampstead Heath is a recognised high point
and free.

The viewing galley at the top of the tower of Westminster Cathedral
(a 20th century Byzantine style redbrick Catholic Cathedral in Victoria not
to be confused with the Abbey) is quite high and pretty central and is
free AFAIAA and is open daily from 9.30am to 12.30pm, and from 1.00pm to 5.00pm.
http://www.westminstercathedral.org....nfo_times.html

Access to many other tall vantage points in Central London has been ended
for reasons of "security".

For general enquiries about travelling in London and other information
you could try
uk.transport.london

boris

Giovanni Drogo

On Mon, 4 May 2009, boris spider wrote:

> The viewing galley at the top of the tower of Westminster Cathedral

^^^^^^

can one cook there ?

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) is a newsreading account used by more persons to

Paul Bartram

"Shawn Hirn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I will be visiting England on a very brief stay. I will have two days in
> London...

> For example, are there any tall buildings where I can get access to the
> roof legally
> where I can shoot some interesting photos, or some unique parks, etc.?

I haven't been back to England since I migrated to the South Seas in 1973,
but one place I remember in London that isn't on the main tourist route is
'The Monument' http://www.themonument.info/ near London Bridge. Only 61
metres high, but back in the 70's that was enough to give you a great view*,
plus a fair old work-out, as there is no lift, just a lot of stairs! I see
there is now a 3 admission fee, back then it was something like 5p, and
popular with city workers wanting to raise a sweat in their lunch hour.

* Still pretty good, judging from the panoramic camera shots on the site.

> Note that I will be relying 100% on public transportation.

Probably wise, given the traffic, price of petrol and the congestion
charges...

Paul

Chris H

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Shawn Hirn
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Hi everyone;
>
>I will be visiting England on a very brief stay.

From where? "Interesting" depends one what you used to.

> I will have two days in
>London, two days in Norwich, and two days in Liverpool early next month.

All interesting cites photographically speaking

>I am an avid amateur photographer. I am wondering if anyone on this
>newsgroup can suggest areas of those three cities where I can go to
>shoot some interesting photographs, but that are not like the ones
>everyone else who visits those areas is likely to shoot.

All of those cities have been photographed. However there is lots of
interesting stuff.

> For example, is
>there any tall buildings where I can get access to the roof legally
>where I can shoot some interesting photos,

"Everyone" does that.

> or some unique parks, etc.?

The buildings are unique too

>Note that I will be relying 100% on public transportation.

OK for London not so good for Norwich better in Liverpool

congokid

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, boris spider
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>Access to many other tall vantage points in Central London has been ended
>for reasons of "security".

Yet the observation decks on the Empire State building managed to remain
open to the public, even in the aftermath of 9/11 when feelings about
'security' were probably at an all time high.

I think the reasons in London are more to do with 'couldn't be arsed'.

A couple more central but not particularly high points here - Monument
(steps only) and Tower Bridge walkway (there's a lift). You can get a
ticket that covers entry to both of them.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

Martin Brown

Shawn Hirn wrote:
> Hi everyone;
>
> I will be visiting England on a very brief stay. I will have two days in
> London, two days in Norwich, and two days in Liverpool early next month.
> I am an avid amateur photographer. I am wondering if anyone on this
> newsgroup can suggest areas of those three cities where I can go to
> shoot some interesting photographs, but that are not like the ones
> everyone else who visits those areas is likely to shoot. For example, is
> there any tall buildings where I can get access to the roof legally
> where I can shoot some interesting photos, or some unique parks, etc.?
> Note that I will be relying 100% on public transportation.

I would second "Monument" as a slightly off the beaten track high
vantage point in London (bit of a climb). London Eye is fun too.

Nobody seems to have put in a good word for Liverpool so here goes:
http://www.albertdock.com/
Is a bit touristy, but has some good exhibits and the nearby waterfront
is a heritage site. You can get a ferry across the Mersey to see it too.
They also have two very impressive modern cathedrals and various
museums, and a fair number of impressive old buildings...

London's Kew gardens is worth a visit if you are interested in plant
photography (although a bit of a trek out of London). There are lots of
small museums off the beaten track so if you give some idea of what your
photographic interests are then other suggestions are possible.

If coming from abroad and intending to use UK rail travel check out the
best open train ticket deals for overseas visitors to make sure you
don't get stuffed by out privatised disconnected railway non-service.
You will pay a lot more to buy a ticket on the day than by prebooking.
As a tourist you probably want some flexibility *and* a decent price.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "boris spider"
<(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like:

>Access to many other tall vantage points in Central London has been ended
>for reasons of "security".

Indeed. When I was a lad I was up the Post Office Tower, but it was shut
to the public just a few years later because of the ****ing IRA.
What a waste.

Chris H

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Grimly
Curmudgeon <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>drugs began to take hold. I remember "boris spider"
><(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like:
>
>>Access to many other tall vantage points in Central London has been ended
>>for reasons of "security".

>Indeed. When I was a lad I was up the Post Office Tower, but it was shut
>to the public just a few years later because of the ****ing IRA.
>What a waste.

You mean there was terrorism before 9/11/2001?

I will not say If I have been up the PO Tower as it would date me
somewhat

There is a lot of paranoia about terrorism. Most of it unfounded.

I think V for Vendetta and 1984 may become mainstream rather than cult
films.

John McWilliams

Chris H wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Grimly
> Curmudgeon <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>> drugs began to take hold. I remember "boris spider"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like:
>>
>>> Access to many other tall vantage points in Central London has been ended
>>> for reasons of "security".

>> Indeed. When I was a lad I was up the Post Office Tower, but it was shut
>> to the public just a few years later because of the ****ing IRA.
>> What a waste.

> You mean there was terrorism before 9/11/2001?
>
> I will not say If I have been up the PO Tower as it would date me
> somewhat
>
> There is a lot of paranoia about terrorism. Most of it unfounded.

I am curious as to what might constitute founded paranoia! Can you give
an example or two?

--
John McWilliams