Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I want a copy of Vista's win32k.sys - can someone send a copy?

I want a copy of Vista's win32k.sys - can someone send a copy?

Mark C

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:guat5a$o78$(E-Mail Removed):

>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:guaao8$ueq$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Interesting. It'd be good to know if the Windows 7 mouse
>>> handling is improved and is able to be ported for use in XP...

> Do you know if installing Microsoft Intellipoint would be an
> improvement?

It might be, IF you have an intellipoint mouse.

I tried installing the Intellipoint drivers, and any different
acceleration options were either missing or disabled. (I think it
must check for the presence of an actual Intellipoint mouse, which I
do not have.)

I also tried Logitech drivers, with no luck either.

(I did this on a second XP partition so as not to muck up my main XP
boot: I hear sometimes leftover mouse driver files can cause later
problems, although a system restore should sort that out.)

I think with some investigation you might be able to get normal XP
acceleration going, which should be some improvement.

At this point don't try changing the registry settings, but do look
and see if they are as in the previous post.
Try Control Panel>Mouse and toggle the 'Enhance pointer precision'
off then on again (Off, Apply, On, Save/Apply, Exit).

To test, put your mouse against an edge (the keyboard?) and do a
quick movement in one direction and then a slow movement back to the
starting point (without the mouse pointer hitting the edge of the
screen. If the mouse acceleration has been enabled, the quick
movement should move further than the slow movement and the pointer
won't end up back in the same place.

(I have a Razer mouse, and I know their drivers have a bug where they
turn acceleration off during signon/login.)

--
Mark

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:guat5a$o78$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:guaao8$ueq$(E-Mail Removed):

>> Do you know if installing Microsoft Intellipoint would be an
>> improvement?

> It might be, IF you have an intellipoint mouse.
>
> I tried installing the Intellipoint drivers, and any different
> acceleration options were either missing or disabled. (I think it
> must check for the presence of an actual Intellipoint mouse, which I
> do not have.)

I'm using a Microsoft Basic Optical mouse at the moment as the Logitech
cordless notebook mouse was way too inaccurate and had an annoying
'auto-sleep' thing which meant that, if it hadn't been moved for ~3 seconds
it took ~1cm movement before it 'woke up' again. Very annoying, it would
have been nice to have been able to change the auto switch off to 5 minutes
and just chage the battery more often. (I use/d LSD NiMH and always have a
few spare charged.)

The last version of Intellipoint I tried was 6.1 I think.

> I also tried Logitech drivers, with no luck either.
>
> (I did this on a second XP partition so as not to muck up my main XP
> boot: I hear sometimes leftover mouse driver files can cause later
> problems, although a system restore should sort that out.)
>
> I think with some investigation you might be able to get normal XP
> acceleration going, which should be some improvement.
>
> At this point don't try changing the registry settings, but do look
> and see if they are as in the previous post.
> Try Control Panel>Mouse and toggle the 'Enhance pointer precision'
> off then on again (Off, Apply, On, Save/Apply, Exit).
>
> To test, put your mouse against an edge (the keyboard?) and do a
> quick movement in one direction and then a slow movement back to the
> starting point (without the mouse pointer hitting the edge of the
> screen. If the mouse acceleration has been enabled, the quick
> movement should move further than the slow movement and the pointer
> won't end up back in the same place.

Ok, that does work. on the slow return movement the pointer only moves back
~70% of the distance the fast movement traveled. (Direct left to right,
right to left.) I would have expected something more like 50% but it's good
to know it *is* working. I honestly didn't notice the difference until I
measured it per your instructions. :-/

> (I have a Razer mouse, and I know their drivers have a bug where they
> turn acceleration off during signon/login.)

I'm in need of a better (affordable) mouse as this MS basic mouse really is
basic. However, after my experience with the Logitech cordless I'm loathe to
spend money I can't afford to waste on a mouse that is no more accurate than
this one. Cordless would be a bonus but certainly not at the expense of the
lag the Logitech has, or if it increases the price too much.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Mark C

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gud0jn$a0v$(E-Mail Removed):

> Ok, that does work. on the slow return movement the pointer only
> moves back ~70% of the distance the fast movement traveled.
> (Direct left to right, right to left.) I would have expected
> something more like 50% but it's good to know it *is* working. I
> honestly didn't notice the difference until I measured it per
> your instructions. :-/

That's good to know.
It can be tweaked to so that the acceleration kicks in earlier.

Where do you currently have your Mouse Speed set?
Windows works best for fine mouse movement (at slow speeds) when it
is set at the middle setting.
Depending upon your display refresh rate, the highest Mouse Speed
setting may prevent you from moving the mouse pointer a single pixel
(even small mouse movements may move the pointer sometimes 1 pixel,
sometimes 2 pixels).

Here is a version that kicks in at 70% of the speed as before (i.e.
the acceleration will kick in at a slower speed, so the acceleration
will seem greater:

>>> Start

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
"SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
0e,4d,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,e0,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
b6,b3,02,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,00,1c,00,00,00,00,00
"SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
b8,5e,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
cd,4c,05,00,00,00,00,00,\
cd,4c,18,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,00,38,02,00,00,00,00
>>> End

Copy the above to a file (excluding the >>> lines), accel70.reg, and
double-click to import into your registry.

Logout or reboot to apply it.

If that's better, let me know and we can fine-tune tweak it.

To revert back to standard: >>>
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
"SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
15,6e,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,40,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
29,dc,03,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,00,28,00,00,00,00,00
"SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
b8,5e,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
cd,4c,05,00,00,00,00,00,\
cd,4c,18,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,00,38,02,00,00,00,00
>>> End

--
Mark

Mark C

Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:00533457$0$14712$(E-Mail Removed):

> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
> "SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
> 0e,4d,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
> 00,e0,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
> b6,b3,02,00,00,00,00,00,\
> 00,00,1c,00,00,00,00,00
> "SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
> b8,5e,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
> cd,4c,05,00,00,00,00,00,\
> cd,4c,18,00,00,00,00,00,\
> 00,00,38,02,00,00,00,00

Ooops, sorry.
That above may be worth trying, because you can always revert it with
the XP standard settings below in that post, BUT it not only kicks in
the acceleration earlier, BUT ALL movement is ~40 faster/further
(1/0.7)

Here is a version that works the same at slow speeds, but kicks the
acceleration in earlier (like I intended).

>>> Start

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]

"SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
0e,4d,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,e0,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
b6,b3,02,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,00,1c,00,00,00,00,00
"SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
80,f5,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
c2,b5,03,00,00,00,00,00,\
8f,02,11,00,00,00,00,00,\
99,99,8d,01,00,00,00,00
>>> End

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:gud0jn$a0v$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Ok, that does work. on the slow return movement the pointer only
>> moves back ~70% of the distance the fast movement traveled.
>> (Direct left to right, right to left.) I would have expected
>> something more like 50% but it's good to know it *is* working. I
>> honestly didn't notice the difference until I measured it per
>> your instructions. :-/
>>

> That's good to know.
> It can be tweaked to so that the acceleration kicks in earlier.
>
> Where do you currently have your Mouse Speed set?

At max. Any less and I get RSI and need to push some of the rubbish off my
desk on to the floor.

> Windows works best for fine mouse movement (at slow speeds) when it
> is set at the middle setting.

Ahhh, so I can't eat my cake and have it too then?

> Depending upon your display refresh rate, the highest Mouse Speed
> setting may prevent you from moving the mouse pointer a single pixel
> (even small mouse movements may move the pointer sometimes 1 pixel,
> sometimes 2 pixels).

Ok. I've not changed refresh rate from default. I didn't think it made much
of a difference with LCDs <ignorance> and also, as the excellent IPS panel
in this ThinkPad being a large part of the reason I bought it, I (wrongly?)
assumed that the display would live longer if the refresh rate wasn't set
higher than Windows default. (60Hz still?)

Ok, just checked, there is no other option available to me other than 60Hz,
even with the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" unchecked.

> Here is a version that kicks in at 70% of the speed as before (i.e.
> the acceleration will kick in at a slower speed, so the acceleration
> will seem greater:

> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
> "SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
> 0e,4d,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
> 00,e0,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
> b6,b3,02,00,00,00,00,00,\
> 00,00,1c,00,00,00,00,00
> "SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
> b8,5e,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
> cd,4c,05,00,00,00,00,00,\
> cd,4c,18,00,00,00,00,00,\
> 00,00,38,02,00,00,00,00

> Copy the above to a file (excluding the >>> lines), accel70.reg, and
> double-click to import into your registry.
>
> Logout or reboot to apply it.
>
> If that's better, let me know and we can fine-tune tweak it.
>
> To revert back to standard: >>>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
> "SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
> 15,6e,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
> 00,40,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
> 29,dc,03,00,00,00,00,00,\
> 00,00,28,00,00,00,00,00
> "SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
> b8,5e,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
> cd,4c,05,00,00,00,00,00,\
> cd,4c,18,00,00,00,00,00,\
> 00,00,38,02,00,00,00,00

I'll try the version in your correction post and see how it goes. Thanks.

--
Shaun.

> [...]

>> cd,4c,18,00,00,00,00,00,\
>> 00,00,38,02,00,00,00,00

>> Copy the above to a file (excluding the >>> lines), accel70.reg, and
>> double-click to import into your registry.
>>
>> Logout or reboot to apply it.
>>
>> If that's better, let me know and we can fine-tune tweak it.
>>
>> To revert back to standard: >>>
>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>
>> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
>> "SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
>> 15,6e,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
>> 00,40,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
>> 29,dc,03,00,00,00,00,00,\
>> 00,00,28,00,00,00,00,00
>> "SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
>> b8,5e,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
>> cd,4c,05,00,00,00,00,00,\
>> cd,4c,18,00,00,00,00,00,\
>> 00,00,38,02,00,00,00,00

> I'll try the version in your correction post and see how it goes.

"Cannot import accel70.reg: The specified file is not a registry script. You
can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor."

.... and I'm not that well-versed in registry modification.
--
Shaun.

Mark C

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gufhr1$928$(E-Mail Removed):

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
>> Windows works best for fine mouse movement (at slow speeds)
>> when it is set at the middle setting.

> Ahhh, so I can't eat my cake and have it too then?

Yes you can have it both ways! (probably)

IF/WHEN we get the acceleration tuned well, small movements of the
mouse will cause even smaller movements of the pointer to allow
easier selection of small items (window edges, whatnot) AND with a
quick(er) movement of the mouse acceleration will kick in and allow
you to race across the screen without having to move the mouse too
far.

>> Depending upon your display refresh rate, the highest Mouse
>> Speed setting may prevent you from moving the mouse pointer a
>> single pixel (even small mouse movements may move the pointer
>> sometimes 1 pixel, sometimes 2 pixels).

> Ok, just checked, there is no other option available to me other
> than 60Hz, even with the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot
> display" unchecked.

For some bleeping reason Windows moves the pointer faster and further
depending upon refresh rate, so a slow (60 Hz) refresh rate has a
slower mouse pointer speed, giving part of the reason why you had to
select a higher mouse pointer speed.

> I'll try the version in your correction post and see how it
> goes. Thanks.

If it's better, we'll keep improving it until it's best!

--
Mark

Mark C

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gufit3$gg3$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Cannot import accel70.reg: The specified file is not a registry
> script. You can only import binary registry files from within
> the registry editor."

Double oops. I left the "Windows Registry...' line off the front,
sorry.

>>> Start (do not include)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
"SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
0e,4d,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,e0,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
b6,b3,02,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,00,1c,00,00,00,00,00
"SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
80,f5,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
c2,b5,03,00,00,00,00,00,\
8f,02,11,00,00,00,00,00,\
99,99,8d,01,00,00,00,00
>>> End (do not include)

--
Mark

Mark C

Ignore...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:gufit3$gg3$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> "Cannot import accel70.reg: The specified file is not a registry
>> script. You can only import binary registry files from within
>> the registry editor."

> Double oops. I left the "Windows Registry...' line off the front,
> sorry.

> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
> "SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
> 0e,4d,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
> 00,e0,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
> b6,b3,02,00,00,00,00,00,\
> 00,00,1c,00,00,00,00,00
> "SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,0 0,\
> 80,f5,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
> c2,b5,03,00,00,00,00,00,\
> 8f,02,11,00,00,00,00,00,\
> 99,99,8d,01,00,00,00,00

Thanks. I've imported that into the registry. Hopefully I'll see a
difference after re-starting.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.