Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I want a copy of Vista's win32k.sys - can someone send a copy?

I want a copy of Vista's win32k.sys - can someone send a copy?

Mark C

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gtofqk$5ac$(E-Mail Removed):

> My problem is, using XP, my mouse accuracy isn't too flash with
> a relatively high-res small panel. (15" 1400x1050).
>
> I've even gone back to a corded mouse to try to improve things
> but I often find myself trying to move the mouse
> ever-so-slightly so I can get it over a window edge to re-size
> etc.. If I turn down pointer speed I have to move the mouse too
> far to get from screen edge to edge.

Do you have the Control Panel>Mouse>Pointer Options>'Enhance pointer
precision' checkbox enabled?

There are subtle problems with it, but mainly it does what you need:
Replaces the Windows 2000 pointer acceleration radio buttons.
Turning it on makes slow mouse movements move the pointer approx 1/2
normal speed and accelerates quick movements to allow you to scoot
across the screen. (Best used with the mouse sensitivity set on the
middle setting.)

(BUT... If you have a high CPI mouse and/or have boosted your USB
mouse update rate from the standard 125 Hz, it doesn't work as well
without tweaking...)

--
Mark

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:gtofqk$5ac$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> My problem is, using XP, my mouse accuracy isn't too flash with
>> a relatively high-res small panel. (15" 1400x1050).
>>
>> I've even gone back to a corded mouse to try to improve things
>> but I often find myself trying to move the mouse
>> ever-so-slightly so I can get it over a window edge to re-size
>> etc.. If I turn down pointer speed I have to move the mouse too
>> far to get from screen edge to edge.

> Do you have the Control Panel>Mouse>Pointer Options>'Enhance pointer
> precision' checkbox enabled?

Yes. I've tried it both ways and while the "Enhance.." helps it's still
difficult at times.

> There are subtle problems with it, but mainly it does what you need:
> Replaces the Windows 2000 pointer acceleration radio buttons.
> Turning it on makes slow mouse movements move the pointer approx 1/2
> normal speed and accelerates quick movements to allow you to scoot
> across the screen. (Best used with the mouse sensitivity set on the
> middle setting.)

I can't seem to find a sensitivity setting. Do you mean pointer speed? If
so, unless it's on fast or near it I need a huge area of desk space to use
my mouse on (and longer arms, <g>).

> (BUT... If you have a high CPI mouse and/or have boosted your USB
> mouse update rate from the standard 125 Hz, it doesn't work as well
> without tweaking...)

All standard here...

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Mark C

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gtofqk$5ac$(E-Mail Removed):

> My problem is, using XP, my mouse accuracy isn't too flash with
> a relatively high-res small panel. (15" 1400x1050).
>
> If I turn down pointer speed I have to move the mouse too
> far to get from screen edge to edge.

That doesn't sound right.

With a quick flick of the wrist my mouse pointer moves right across
the 1680 width of the screen in ~ 1 inch of movement.

Have you ever run or loaded a utility or registry hack to remove
acceleration for gaming? "CPL mouse fix" or the like?

Check the registry @ HKCU>Control Panel>Mouse>SmoothMouse[XY]Curve
They should look like this:
"SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,15 ,6e,00,00,00,00,00,
00,00,40,\
01,00,00,00,00,00,29,dc,03,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,28 ,00,00,00,00,00
"SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,b8 ,5e,01,00,00,00,00,
00,cd,4c,\
05,00,00,00,00,00,cd,4c,18,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,38 ,02,00,00,00,00

If not, then make it look like that and reboot.

Mark

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:gtofqk$5ac$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> My problem is, using XP, my mouse accuracy isn't too flash with
>> a relatively high-res small panel. (15" 1400x1050).
>>
>> If I turn down pointer speed I have to move the mouse too
>> far to get from screen edge to edge.

> That doesn't sound right.
>
> With a quick flick of the wrist my mouse pointer moves right across
> the 1680 width of the screen in ~ 1 inch of movement.

Well, with pointer speed set at max it takes more than four inches mouse
movement to get from one side t'other, regardless of speed of mouse. At half
speed it takes six inches.

> Have you ever run or loaded a utility or registry hack to remove
> acceleration for gaming? "CPL mouse fix" or the like?

No but this is a ThinkPad and has trackpoint and/or ultranav software loaded
for the touchpad.

> Check the registry @ HKCU>Control Panel>Mouse>SmoothMouse[XY]Curve
> They should look like this:
> "SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,15 ,6e,00,00,00,00,00,
> 00,00,40,\
> 01,00,00,00,00,00,29,dc,03,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,28 ,00,00,00,00,00
> "SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,b8 ,5e,01,00,00,00,00,
> 00,cd,4c,\
> 05,00,00,00,00,00,cd,4c,18,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,38 ,02,00,00,00,00
>
> If not, then make it look like that and reboot.

Sheeeeit, I ain't *that* confortable editing the registry. Mind you, I might
have to try it. It's likely that or RSI.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Mark C

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gtmpnb$dv0$(E-Mail Removed):

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
>> If you want to know why, I'm seeing if Vista has the same mouse
>> 'Enhance pointer precision' problems that XP has.

> Care to elaborate and tell us the results?

The results are that in Windows XP, Microsoft have become confused
while thinking about how mouse inputs make the pointer move, have
implemented XP mouse handling based on that confusion and have
carried that confusion through to Vista.

In Vista they have optimised various parts of mouse handling for
performance and removed a few glitches, but have retained the
confused thinking.

To compound the problem (or possibly as an attempt to counteract it?)
they divided by a factor where they should have multiplied by the
same factor instead.

To see the undesirable effects of their confusion, you need to turn
XP pointer acceleration on ('Enhance pointer precision') and play
with the display refresh rate and the display DPI setting, but since
that doesn't seem to work for you, likely you would not be able to
see the effects.

I'll write more about it if anybody cares to hear the details...

--
Mark

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:gtmpnb$dv0$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
>>> If you want to know why, I'm seeing if Vista has the same mouse
>>> 'Enhance pointer precision' problems that XP has.

>> Care to elaborate and tell us the results?

> The results are that in Windows XP, Microsoft have become confused
> while thinking about how mouse inputs make the pointer move, have
> implemented XP mouse handling based on that confusion and have
> carried that confusion through to Vista.
>
> In Vista they have optimised various parts of mouse handling for
> performance and removed a few glitches, but have retained the
> confused thinking.
>
> To compound the problem (or possibly as an attempt to counteract it?)
> they divided by a factor where they should have multiplied by the
> same factor instead.
>
> To see the undesirable effects of their confusion, you need to turn
> XP pointer acceleration on ('Enhance pointer precision') and play
> with the display refresh rate and the display DPI setting, but since
> that doesn't seem to work for you, likely you would not be able to
> see the effects.
>
> I'll write more about it if anybody cares to hear the details...

Interesting. It'd be good to know if the Windows 7 mouse handling is
improved and is able to be ported for use in XP...
--
Shaun.

Mark C

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:guaao8$ueq$(E-Mail Removed):

> Interesting. It'd be good to know if the Windows 7 mouse
> handling is improved and is able to be ported for use in XP...

There is one Vista improvement that I have been contemplating back-
porting to XP.

Slow movement down and right on XP with the 'Enhance pointer
precision' checkbox turned on causes the mouse to wobble erratically
and slow down. (I haven't tried it, but I suspect that if your
screen refresh rate is > 100 Hz, then instead it wobbles erratically
and speeds up when going up and left instead).
That has largely been fixed in Vista.

I WOULD like to get a Windows 7 win32k.sys so I can how or if that
differs from Vista/XP...

Stephen Worthington

On 12 May 2009 00:11:01 GMT, Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:guaao8$ueq$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> Interesting. It'd be good to know if the Windows 7 mouse
>> handling is improved and is able to be ported for use in XP...

>There is one Vista improvement that I have been contemplating back-
>porting to XP.
>
>Slow movement down and right on XP with the 'Enhance pointer
>precision' checkbox turned on causes the mouse to wobble erratically
>and slow down. (I haven't tried it, but I suspect that if your
>screen refresh rate is > 100 Hz, then instead it wobbles erratically
>and speeds up when going up and left instead).
>That has largely been fixed in Vista.
>
>I WOULD like to get a Windows 7 win32k.sys so I can how or if that
>differs from Vista/XP...

I have put the Windows 7 RC1 64 bit file here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/231951278/win32k.zip.html

Please use this to delete it when you have it:

http://rapidshare.com/files/23195127...47745625821628

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mark C wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:guaao8$ueq$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> Interesting. It'd be good to know if the Windows 7 mouse
>> handling is improved and is able to be ported for use in XP...

> There is one Vista improvement that I have been contemplating back-
> porting to XP.
>
> Slow movement down and right on XP with the 'Enhance pointer
> precision' checkbox turned on causes the mouse to wobble erratically
> and slow down. (I haven't tried it, but I suspect that if your
> screen refresh rate is > 100 Hz, then instead it wobbles erratically
> and speeds up when going up and left instead).
> That has largely been fixed in Vista.
>
> I WOULD like to get a Windows 7 win32k.sys so I can how or if that
> differs from Vista/XP...

Ok, thanks.

Do you know if installing Microsoft Intellipoint would be an improvement?

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Mark C

Stephen Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers>
wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have put the Windows 7 RC1 64 bit file here:
>
> http://rapidshare.com/files/231951278/win32k.zip.html

Thank you for that, I have downloaded it and put it aside.

Unfortunately, the disassembler tool I use (IDA Free) does not
disassemble x64 64 bit programs, so I can't use that: I need the 32-
bit version.

Sorry I did not specify which version I needed: I did that in another
post but not this one!

> Please use this to delete it when you have it:

Done.