Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > MS Windows vs Linux wireless internet

MS Windows vs Linux wireless internet

Ian St. John

Hi,

I have a new D-Link Airbus DWL-G630 installed on my Dell Inspiron 5100
running under MS WinXP. So far, I've been able to pick up two keys and to
connect to the Internet at my university and at the airport. I'm also
required to work with Linux and so I'll need to pick up some generic
software for the wireless network adapter. Can anyone tell me if Windows
wireless networking offers any features (other than possibly ease of use)
over Linux wireless or if generic Linux wireless has any desirable features?
The wireless network keys that I've picked up so far seem to provide
security from eavesdropping over the airwaves, but at a university it cannot
be assumed that any communications or file is safe from eavesdropping so one
acts accordingly. Linux is a less hostile environment and I don't worry
about firewalls etc. Can the experience users also provide me any additional
advice that would be useful? Thanks.

Ian St. John

Malke

Ian St. John wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a new D-Link Airbus DWL-G630 installed on my Dell Inspiron 5100
> running under MS WinXP. So far, I've been able to pick up two keys and
> to connect to the Internet at my university and at the airport. I'm
> also required to work with Linux and so I'll need to pick up some
> generic software for the wireless network adapter. Can anyone tell me
> if Windows wireless networking offers any features (other than
> possibly ease of use) over Linux wireless or if generic Linux wireless
> has any desirable features? The wireless network keys that I've picked
> up so far seem to provide security from eavesdropping over the
> airwaves, but at a university it cannot be assumed that any
> communications or file is safe from eavesdropping so one acts
> accordingly. Linux is a less hostile environment and I don't worry
> about firewalls etc. Can the experience users also provide me any
> additional advice that would be useful? Thanks.
>
> Ian St. John

You really are going to have to post in a Linux group to get information
about Linux wireless networking. Some of the ease of use will depend on
what window manager you are using and what version of that window
manager is. KDE has kwifimanager and it is pretty good. However,
configuration also depends on the distro you are running.

You need to know what chipset is in that D-Link. Since you didn't say
what distro you have, I can't be more precise. Post in one of the
public newsgroups for that particular distro or Google for the distro
name and your wireless network adapter. For example, using the search
term, "SuSE 9.3 + D-Link DWL-G630" brings up *lots* of useful advice.
In fact, you might just check out that search term because it brings up
links that will get you headed in the right direction whether or not
you are running SuSE 9.3.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers