Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wireless network - Central Hard Drive

Reply
Thread Tools

Wireless network - Central Hard Drive

 
 
Southern Kiwi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-01-2009
I have a wireless network at home running a mixture of XP & Vista Laptops.
The laptops are used at random by various family members and none of
them is left on 24/7

I want to have a hard drive available 24/7 wirelessly for use by any of
the laptops. I intend to hold all commonly wanted data on the one drive
(pictures/videos/music etc)

I have tried a usb external drive attached to the usb port on a Belkin
n+ wireless router with..errr..problematic results (drive nor found,
disappearing, slow transfer rates etc.

Ethernet drives are still too expensive for me at the moment (over $500
for 1Tb) If I'm going to spend that sort of money I figure I might as
well buy a new desktop box.

I am now considering buying a cheap second hand desktop computer off the
likes of Trademe, poking a wireless card in it so I can hide it away
somewhere to leave on 24/7.

Any further ideas or advice appreciated

Cheers
Southern Kiwi
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Southern Kiwi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-01-2009
whoisthis wrote:
> In article <gte7h6$bij$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Southern Kiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a wireless network at home running a mixture of XP & Vista Laptops.
>> The laptops are used at random by various family members and none of
>> them is left on 24/7
>>
>> I want to have a hard drive available 24/7 wirelessly for use by any of
>> the laptops. I intend to hold all commonly wanted data on the one drive
>> (pictures/videos/music etc)
>>
>> I have tried a usb external drive attached to the usb port on a Belkin
>> n+ wireless router with..errr..problematic results (drive nor found,
>> disappearing, slow transfer rates etc.
>>
>> Ethernet drives are still too expensive for me at the moment (over $500
>> for 1Tb) If I'm going to spend that sort of money I figure I might as
>> well buy a new desktop box.
>>
>> I am now considering buying a cheap second hand desktop computer off the
>> likes of Trademe, poking a wireless card in it so I can hide it away
>> somewhere to leave on 24/7.
>>
>> Any further ideas or advice appreciated
>>
>> Cheers
>> Southern Kiwi

>
> Apple TimeCapsual... 802.11a/b/g/n, Internal HD (and you can expand it
> with USB drives), Gigabit ethernet, etc, etc.
> They are small, work well.


Will this work in my Windows based set-up?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
J Brockley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2009


"Southern Kiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gtega2$ui0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> whoisthis wrote:
>> In article <gte7h6$bij$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Southern Kiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a wireless network at home running a mixture of XP & Vista
>>> Laptops.
>>> The laptops are used at random by various family members and none of
>>> them is left on 24/7
>>>
>>> I want to have a hard drive available 24/7 wirelessly for use by any of
>>> the laptops. I intend to hold all commonly wanted data on the one drive
>>> (pictures/videos/music etc)
>>>
>>> I have tried a usb external drive attached to the usb port on a Belkin
>>> n+ wireless router with..errr..problematic results (drive nor found,
>>> disappearing, slow transfer rates etc.
>>>
>>> Ethernet drives are still too expensive for me at the moment (over $500
>>> for 1Tb) If I'm going to spend that sort of money I figure I might as
>>> well buy a new desktop box.
>>>
>>> I am now considering buying a cheap second hand desktop computer off the
>>> likes of Trademe, poking a wireless card in it so I can hide it away
>>> somewhere to leave on 24/7.
>>>
>>> Any further ideas or advice appreciated
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Southern Kiwi

>>
>> Apple TimeCapsual... 802.11a/b/g/n, Internal HD (and you can expand it
>> with USB drives), Gigabit ethernet, etc, etc.
>> They are small, work well.

>
> Will this work in my Windows based set-up?

For around the same price you can get a DLink NAS box and add a drive (or 2
to give raid). It will also handle printer well.
Power usage will be a lot less than a PC setup.

 
Reply With Quote
 
grum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2009
geoff wrote:

> Why not get a PC as you suggest, in a central location, stick a big HDD or
> two in it, and hang your printer/s off it too.
>
> Hook it onto your router by cable, so it's always there, and full speed.
>
> It's called a 'server'.
>


Geoff's onto it. A 2nd hand laptop is worth thinking about for this...
lowish power consumption, quiet, compact, built-in battery backup,
flexible power mode options (sleep etc), generally don't need heaps of
processing grunt for a server.
I use an old Mac Mini with a 750G external drive - it's essentially a
laptop internally. Works great.
You definitely want your server connected to the network by cable (not
wireless). Reliability is the main reason, ability to use Wake On LAN
could be another.
Buy at least as much hard drive capacity again for backup. And keep it
off site. If that seems excessive, imagine losing all those photos.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2009
In message <gtlfvs$c9r$(E-Mail Removed)>, grum wrote:

> Buy at least as much hard drive capacity again for backup. And keep it
> off site. If that seems excessive, imagine losing all those photos.


For things like photos, tax records etc, I burn a set of CDs/DVDs and keep
them at the bank. Every few months (or when I remember ) I make a fresh
set and go and swap them. Only costs a few bucks a year.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Southern Kiwi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2009
Southern Kiwi wrote:
> I have a wireless network at home running a mixture of XP & Vista Laptops.
> The laptops are used at random by various family members and none of
> them is left on 24/7
>
> I want to have a hard drive available 24/7 wirelessly for use by any of
> the laptops. I intend to hold all commonly wanted data on the one drive
> (pictures/videos/music etc)
>
> I have tried a usb external drive attached to the usb port on a Belkin
> n+ wireless router with..errr..problematic results (drive nor found,
> disappearing, slow transfer rates etc.
>
> Ethernet drives are still too expensive for me at the moment (over $500
> for 1Tb) If I'm going to spend that sort of money I figure I might as
> well buy a new desktop box.
>
> I am now considering buying a cheap second hand desktop computer off the
> likes of Trademe, poking a wireless card in it so I can hide it away
> somewhere to leave on 24/7.
>
> Any further ideas or advice appreciated
>
> Cheers
> Southern Kiwi


Thanks to those that replied FYI, I brought a new Laptop for myself,
gave my old one to my wife and relegated her old one to act as the
kids/server.

Everything appears to be working as I hoped

Cheers
SK
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Job2011-43464: ST - Network - TA - Network Facilities ImplementationSupport Analyst--central Illinois. kin ASP .Net 0 03-21-2011 08:57 PM
how to check whether a drive is a network drive or drive from attached hard-disk shailesh Python 1 03-28-2007 12:57 PM
Change Master/Boot Hard Drive to Slave/Non boot Hard Drive & Visa Versa Steve808us@yahoo.com Computer Information 0 01-18-2005 01:57 PM
Help, Hard Drive hell......Hard drive not installing. Win98se Anthropy Computer Support 4 02-24-2004 08:54 PM
Moving Mozilla files from old hard drive to new hard drive Nate Firefox 1 02-21-2004 09:09 PM



Advertisments