Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Trust Your Best Friend With Your Life?

Trust Your Best Friend With Your Life?

Dudley Hanks

I do, every day...

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/galler...p?g2_itemId=86

Take Care,
Dudley

BTW, how is the focus?

Sharon

"Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I do, every day...
>
> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/galler...p?g2_itemId=86
>

> Take Care,
> Dudley
>

> BTW, how is the focus?

Looks like Mich is doing his job well, keeping you out of harms way. Part
of the pavement (between you and the van) appears to be in focus, but
neither Mich or the van are sharp.

Sharon

Dudley Hanks

"Sharon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gtevgt$7os$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>I do, every day...
>>
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/galler...p?g2_itemId=86
>>

>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>>

>> BTW, how is the focus?
>>

> Looks like Mich is doing his job well, keeping you out of harms way. Part
> of the pavement (between you and the van) appears to be in focus, but
> neither Mich or the van are sharp.
>
> Sharon

Darn, I was afraid of that. I guess I'll have to reshoot.

Thanks for the help...

Take Care,
Dudley

Robert Coe

On Fri, 1 May 2009 07:04:11 -0700, "Sharon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:ccwKl.25194$Db2.6420@edtnps83...
: >I do, every day...
: >
: > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/galler...p?g2_itemId=86
: >
: >
: > Take Care,
: > Dudley
: >
: >
: >
: > BTW, how is the focus?
: >
: >
:
:
: Looks like Mich is doing his job well, keeping you out of harms way.
: Part of the pavement (between you and the van) appears to be in focus,
: but neither Mich or the van are sharp.

The van is as sharp as it needs to be, and the background trees and the speed
limit sign, both of which are even farther away, are in reasonably good focus.
The fact that the dog isn't in focus is mainly due to DOF, not an autofocus
problem. I'm not sure you can do any better. You have the aperture set to
f/3.5, and this gave a shutter speed of 1/40. If you stop it down, the slower
speed will probably cost you as much resolution as you gain; if you push the
ISO beyond 1600, you'll get noise. And if you focus on the dog, the rest of
the scene will be blurry.

Bob

Dudley Hanks

"Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 1 May 2009 07:04:11 -0700, "Sharon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :
> : "Dudley Hanks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:ccwKl.25194$Db2.6420@edtnps83...
> : >I do, every day...
> : >
> : > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/galler...p?g2_itemId=86
> : >
> : >
> : > Take Care,
> : > Dudley
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : > BTW, how is the focus?
> : >
> : >
> :
> :
> : Looks like Mich is doing his job well, keeping you out of harms way.
> : Part of the pavement (between you and the van) appears to be in focus,
> : but neither Mich or the van are sharp.
>
> The van is as sharp as it needs to be, and the background trees and the
> speed
> limit sign, both of which are even farther away, are in reasonably good
> focus.
> The fact that the dog isn't in focus is mainly due to DOF, not an
> autofocus
> problem. I'm not sure you can do any better. You have the aperture set to
> f/3.5, and this gave a shutter speed of 1/40. If you stop it down, the
> slower
> speed will probably cost you as much resolution as you gain; if you push
> the
> ISO beyond 1600, you'll get noise. And if you focus on the dog, the rest
> of
> the scene will be blurry.
>
> Bob

Thanks, Bob, for those details. That makes my decision a bit tougher,
though.

I had wanted to get the shot with a fairly dark background so that the
headlights would be on, helping to highlight the motion of the vehicle while
maintaining at least a bit of a usable (handheld) shutter speed.

You're right, stopping down would yield too slow a shutter speed, which
would help blur the vehicle, but I doubt Mich would look good even if he
were in focus, since his head does two or three traffic checks at each
intersection. His head would definitely be blurred.

The XSi only goes to 1600, so I had that maxed out already in order to get
the 1/40 sec exposure.

I guess I'll have to look for a better location and do a few shots in
brighter light to see how they look. This particular spot is good because
the traffic is moving fairly quickly, which keeps Mich looking nice and
alert, but the angle gives a perspective where the horizon is probably going
to go through Mich's head, which will probably be distracting with a lighter
pic.

Maybe I'll have to go downtown and try it there. The buildings could mask
the horizon line, and the traffic will be heavier, though slower.

Ah, I guess I'll just have to shoot some more pics...

Thanks for all the help,
Dudley