Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Need advice on purchasing a laptop

Need advice on purchasing a laptop

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Evan Platt wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> You mind explaining that one?

> Yeah... I have a hard time imagining RtS wrapping his head around a
> programming language. I mean heck, linxu is beyond him.
>
> Maybe he uses VB? No, that would be beyond him too.

I suspect he means his precious Run Basic that he 'designs' web pages
with...

--
-bts

Centre Parting

From somewhere roughly c. AD 2005 : -

Acer:
Acer makes some good budget computers (namely, the Aspire series) and some
hideously overpriced "gaming" models (*cough*Ferrari*cough*). If you need a
a good business PC on a budget, Acer is definitely the way to go.

Alienware:
Alienware makes ridiculously expensive but equally powerful gaming machines.
That's the sole point of buying an Alienware: gaming. And they do excel at
that. However, their computers are heavy (as much as 12-15 lbs.) and get
almost no battery life due to the use of desktop processors. That's okay;
they weren't meant to be taken with you anyways, at usually well over $3000.

Apple:
Apple makes a variety of user-friendly, well-built, compact computers with a
moderate level of performance. It's almost impossible to break one, due to
the incredibly simple OS and the nigh-indestructible aluminum casing.
They're terrific for first time users and know-it-all geeks alike. The
downside? They're quite pricey and will run almost nothing due to the Mac
OSX operating system.

ASUS:
ASUS, renowned in the past for initially cheap components (every ASUS
component I've owned from before 2003 has broken down or been in dire need
of replacement) and later some high-quality motherboards, makes high
quality, lightweight, and powerful computers. Of course quality comes at a
huge price. ASUS computers tend to be very pricey and are not readily
available at retail stores.

AVERATEC:
AVERATEC makes inexpensive, lightweight computers. The downside is that
AVERATECs are poorly constructed and use mainly integrated components. If
you need a thin & light to take to school or work, look to AVERATEC. If you
want an HD mobile theater or gaming powerhouse, look elsewhere.

Dell:
Dell offers a wide variety of computers, ranging from very low-end desktops
and notebooks to insanely powerful gaming rigs. Not surprisingly, it's these
extremes that are the least cost-effective. Their Inspiron 6000 and 9300
series are among some of the most popular notebooks available today. Dells
are seemingly very expensive, but be sure to check the coupons at the top of
the site; you can get some incredible deals with them.

eMachines:
eMachines makes a few series of notebooks. The M6000 is based on the same
blueprint as the popular Gateway 7000 series, but usually has less RAM. They
also have a newer M5000 series with Turion and Mobile Sempron processors
that can be found at Wal-Marts nationwide. eMachines computers are cost
effective performance-wise but poorly constructed. To add insult to injury,
their tech support is atrocious.
Note: It would appear eMachines no longer officially acknowledges its
notebooks on their website (much as you won't find the 7000 series on
Gateway's website). Rest assured, they do exist, and can be found at most
major computer retailors.

Falcon Northwest:
Falcon makes computers even more expensive than Alienwares, though they're
basically identical on the inside. Where do you pay the difference? Falcon
Northwest has better tech support (Alienware is infamous for ignoring you if
you have a problem) and does custom paint jobs. For a mere $5000! Wow, the
XPS2 is beginning to look like a bargain.

Fujitsu:
Fujitsu makes powerful, stylish, lightweight, durable, reliable computers
that will run forever. Which is good, because once you pay the exorbitant
mortgage-your-house price, you'll never be able to afford another computer.
They're also extremely hard to get your hands on, especially in the US.

Gateway:
Gateway used to be a very respectable company, with quality made-in-the-USA
products. Then they bough eMachines and all of their problems. Now Gateways
are shoddily constructed, made in Malaysia, and have zero tech support and
warranty behind them. Irregardless, they are very cost-effective computers
while they last, especially for a casual gamer or professional-on-the-go.
The 7000 series is by far their most popular model, and is available at Best
Buy at good prices. Watch out for the 90-day warranty, though.

Hewlett-Packard/Compaq:
HP and and it's subsidiary Compaq maintain separate lines of computers, but
they're identical except that Compaq's are silver rather than black and
usually are cheaper. (Maybe silver is considered a cheaper color.) Anyway
you go about it, HPs are fairly powerful and inexpensive, and they'll also
run forever ??" unless one of the highly-integrated components dies. Then
the whole thing is usually shot. Fortunately they come with good warranties
and friendly, knowledgeable tech support. Watch out for desktop processors,
though, if battery life means anything to you. HPs are very user-friendly
and are perfect for the common user, say that aunt or parent that can barely
turn one on without a step-by-step guide and a 100-minute call to tech
support.

IBM / Lenovo:
IBM (now taken over by Lenovo) has been in business since the dawn of the
computer age, so you'd think they'd know how to build a computer. And that
they do, but not inexpensively. IBMs are reliable and well-built, using
top-quality parts, but the standard T series starts at $1299 for a barebones
model. Truly powerful ones can quickly reach prices of nearly $3000. To make
matters worse, they have recently sold their computer manufacturing division
to Chinese company Lenovo. Time will tell if quality declines significantly.

LG:
LG, manufacturer of everything from phones to refrigerators to stereos,
makes a handful of notebooks. They're high-quality, powerful machines, but
they're expensive and almost impossible to get anywhere outside of mythical
LG-land. Check eBay.

Medion:
Medion is a new company, just getting their start in the notebook business.
They make very inexpenpensive, light, and decently powerful computers, but
the build quality is still questionable. They aren't yet a well-established
company, so I'm hesitant to reccomend them, but they seem like a soid choice
for those on a tight budget.

Panasonic:
Panasonic's Toughbook line is among the most rugged of laptop computers.
They're designed for use in extreme environments, with ultra durable cases
and water-resistant interioirs. They're an expensive, niche-market product,
but worthwhile if you need the endurance.

Sager:
Sager makes high-end gaming machines that bear striking similarities to
those of Alienware and Falcon Northwest, with one major exception: Sagers
are much cheaper (and slightly ahead on the technology curve, in some
cases). Sager is an established company, noted for quality computers. If you
need the jaw-dropping power of an Alienware, but haven't got the
jaw-dropping budget to go with it (or even if you do - no one should waste
money), give Sager a look.

Sony:
Sony makes high-quality, lightweight and ultra portable laptops. The VAIO
series is powerful and reliable, but comes at a high price. Sony's strong
suit is their new ultra portable notebooks, weighing less than 4 pounds and
equipped with powerful Centrino processors.

Toshiba:
Toshiba used to be the premier source of quality notebook computers with
their Satellite series of laptops. In recent years, however, build quality
has declined a bit and the internal components have moved more towards
integrated ones for cost reasons. No longer cost effective, newer Satellites
and the new Qosmo series leave much to be desired.

s wrote:
> I will need the machine for typical office work(mainly MS office
> applications). I will also need a Web camera for video conferencing.
> How many pixel Web camera should I choose and which brand is
> considered better?
>
> My budget is around 700$. I want the machine to last 5-7 years. Speed
> is also vital, so I wish to have 4GB RAM as Windows Vista consumes
> about 2GB.
>
> Are the below choices a good option?
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=h24-15071
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=WARRANTY#tabs
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=t71-15413
>
> Should I go with Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer or are Tigerdirect, Bestbuy,
> Staples, Circuitcity which offer
> deals occasionally a better choice?
>
> I hear Dell typically lasts longer, has somewhat better customer
> service, but that is arguable.
> Also, what is the difference between purchasing a HP machine from HP
> or getting the same machine from Tigerdirect, Bestbuy, Staples and so
> on? Does it matter in terms of price or quality?
>
> Can anyone please advise?
>
> Thanks a lot.

Curtis Brown

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 22:37:52 -0700 (PDT), s <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> Personally, I prefer amd over intel any day. I tested both side by
> side doing the same thing and amd kicks intel's butt hands down.

For what? Looking at pictures of little girls?

> I have a computer language I run on windows and with intel, I have to
> sometimes wait while it figures out what to do. With AMD there is no
> waiting.

What is that? Version 2 of that Pong game that Radio Shack stole from you?

> Both best buy and circuit cuity in my opinion, may have good deals,
> but are still rather high on their price tags.

Circuit City went out of business in case you haven't heard, dumb****.

Caulfield_man

Centre Parting wrote:
snipped

> Apple:
> Apple makes a variety of user-friendly, well-built, compact computers with a
> moderate level of performance. It's almost impossible to break one, due to
> the incredibly simple OS and the nigh-indestructible aluminum casing.
> They're terrific for first time users and know-it-all geeks alike. The
> downside? They're quite pricey and will run almost nothing due to the Mac
> OSX operating system.

Snipped

Disregard Apple, They are merely expensive jewellery and stupidly
priced, appealing to wankers and those people who think spending *more*
means spending *better*. Hopefully this financial crisis puts paid to
that crazy behaviour.

Speaking from experience they are not indestructible - and when they
drop they are insanely expensive to fix.

Why not go for something cheap (Acer, ASUS) which will run also Linux so
when the Windows OS you are forced to buy becomes an utter virus ridden
mess you can at least move to something which just *works*

THANKS a lot for the detailed reply and suggestions. I highly
appreciate your time and advice.
Thanks again.
On May 2, 2:28*am, "Centre Parting" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> [...]
> jaw-dropping budget to go with it (or even if you do - no one should waste
> money), give Sager a look.
>
> Sony:
> Sony makes high-quality, lightweight and ultra portable laptops. The VAIO
> series is powerful and reliable, but comes at a high price. Sony's strong
> suit is their new ultra portable notebooks, weighing less than 4 pounds and
> equipped with powerful Centrino processors.
>
> Toshiba:
> Toshiba used to be the premier source of quality notebook computers with
> their Satellite series of laptops. In recent years, however, build quality
> has declined a bit and the internal components have moved more towards
> integrated ones for cost reasons. No longer cost effective, newer Satellites
> and the new Qosmo series leave much to be desired.

Mike Easter

s wrote:

> THANKS

Sometimes you top post untrimmed and non conversational, sometimes you
bottom post untrimmed, and sometimes you post inline, still untrimmed.

GG help describes how to quote in a reply.... http://snipr.com/h7pj9 How
can I automatically quote the previous message when I post a reply?

.... but it doesn't describe trimming.

Here's an illustration of quoting with attribution, trimming, and
conversational context http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q2: How
should I use the quoted text and arrange it with my own text? -- Q3: Why
shouldn't I quote the entire posting that I'm responding to?

Also, GG is an extremely disadvantageous way to read and post to usenet
newsgroups such as this one. GG should only be used for newsgroup
searches and googlespecific group reading and posting, not usenet.

--
Mike Easter

Centre Parting

Mike Easter wrote:
> s wrote:
>
>> THANKS

> Sometimes you top post untrimmed and non conversational, sometimes you
> bottom post untrimmed, and sometimes you post inline, still untrimmed.

So you were replying to whom ?

There's rarely any need to trim - it's generally a waste of time and TOTALLY
anal.

And as for trimming so readers can't see to what or whom you're replying -
I'd say you're suffering some from some sort of OCD.

> GG help describes how to quote in a reply.... http://snipr.com/h7pj9
> How can I automatically quote the previous message when I post a
> reply?
>
> ... but it doesn't describe trimming.
>
> Here's an illustration of quoting with attribution, trimming, and
> conversational context http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q2:
> How should I use the quoted text and arrange it with my own text? --
> Q3: Why shouldn't I quote the entire posting that I'm responding to?
>
> Also, GG is an extremely disadvantageous way to read and post to
> usenet newsgroups such as this one. GG should only be used for
> newsgroup searches and googlespecific group reading and posting, not
> usenet.

richard

On Fri, 1 May 2009 15:52:37 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>richard wrote:
>
>> I have a computer language I run on windows and with intel, I have to
>> sometimes wait while it figures out what to do. With AMD there is no
>> waiting.

>You mind explaining that one?

The languange is "Liberty Basic". www.libertybasic.com
When I need to "dim" large arrays, the intel shows me a little window
showing that it's working. The AMD doesn't show that window.

I also have a card game that on the intel, the cards are shown moving
slowly to their new place. On the AMD, I don't see that motion at all.

I even tried this machine's AMD Phenom on secondlife.com just to test
it out. Rocks the hell out of intel.

richard

On Fri, 1 May 2009 22:28:38 +0100, "Centre Parting"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>From somewhere roughly c. AD 2005 : -
>
>Acer:
>Acer makes some good budget computers (namely, the Aspire series) and some
>hideously overpriced "gaming" models (*cough*Ferrari*cough*). If you need a
>a good business PC on a budget, Acer is definitely the way to go.

Acer has come a long way since then. Unlike Dell and Gateway which
both have dropped in appeal. I still have my old Dell but don't use
it. For laptops, acer is a good deal. For bigger machines, HP is a
better deal.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> richard wrote:
>>> I have a computer language I run on windows and with intel, I have
>>> to sometimes wait while it figures out what to do. With AMD there
>>> is no waiting.

>> You mind explaining that one?

> The languange is "Liberty Basic". www.libertybasic.com When I need to
> "dim" large arrays, the intel shows me a little window showing that
> it's working. The AMD doesn't show that window.

Obviously two different computers. You've stated nothing about the
models of the two processors and their speed, single- or dual-core, the
amount of ram, the speed of the hard drives, the speed and ram of the
video displays, and possibly even different options/preferences in your
software. ("Show/Don't show little window")

I'd suggest you are comparing apples to acorns.

> I also have a card game that on the intel, the cards are shown moving
> slowly to their new place. On the AMD, I don't see that motion at
> all.

So the AMD is a more powerful computer than the Intel.

I have two Intels here. One of them "dim"s my arrays much faster than
the other. They are both Intels... so then I can assume that Intels are
much faster than Intels.

--
-bts