Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > PRINTING TO A REMOTE PRINTER

PRINTING TO A REMOTE PRINTER

Mary

I am using windows xp and was connected remotely to a printer fax machine. I
had to purchase a new router. After setting up the new netgear router I
cannot print. The printer is connected to a dlynk router. I am not sure what
adjustments I need to make for the connection to work. I am not very computer
savvy so if someone could help me in easy to understand terms I would be very
grateful!
--
Baffled

Jack-MVP

Hi
It would be helpful if you would describe Network wise what is all the
hardware involved and how it is connected.
As far as Network Printers go, the Printer's software (that came with the
printer) has to be installed on each computer (choosing the Network options)
that is going to use the printer.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Mary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am using windows xp and was connected remotely to a printer fax machine.
> had to purchase a new router. After setting up the new netgear router I
> cannot print. The printer is connected to a dlynk router. I am not sure
> what
> adjustments I need to make for the connection to work. I am not very
> computer
> savvy so if someone could help me in easy to understand terms I would be
> very
> grateful!
> --
> Baffled

smlunatick

On Apr 30, 12:26*pm, "Frankster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Frankster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > "Mary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I am using windows xp and was connected remotely to a printer fax machine.
> >> had to purchase a new router. After setting up the new netgear router I
> >> cannot print. The printer is connected to a dlynk router. I am not sure
> >> what
> >> adjustments I need to make for the connection to work. I am not very
> >> computer
> >> savvy so if someone could help me in easy to understand terms I would be
> >> very
> >> grateful!
> >> --
> >> Baffled

> > If your printer is connected to your router that means that it is a
> > network printer (with an Ethernet cable connection). As such, you must
> > install it using the IP address. Apparently when you changed routers you
> > alienated your printer because it is now probably on a different subnet
> > (i.e. the address of your router may be 192.168.0.1 and the address of
> > your printer may be 192.168.1.100 - with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0).

> > If you don't understand any of this, you'll probably need to call a local
> > consultant to install it for you. Or, more specifically, change the
> > printer to a static IP that is on your subnet and also adjust your router
> > to make sure it does not automatically pass out the IP you gave the
> > printer.

> > -Frank

> Upon further reflction... you have a Netgear router and also a Dlink router?
> Why two routers? Why is the printer connected to a different router than
> your PC? Is it a wireless connection or an Ethernet connection?
>
> More details.
>
> -Frank

Two routers, one at "each" remote "office." Each one are used to
connect to the Internet and the new remote Netgear needs to have the
"network" printer protocol set up on the "port forwarding" section.