Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > connecting a laptop to network.

connecting a laptop to network.

Paja

I have a desktop and a laptop,both using XP. My router and internet modem is
all in one.(U-verse). The desktop is wired to the modem, and the laptop is
wireless. On both computer in my network,each computer shows up in my
workgroup. Each computer will go on line,but they will not share files. They
will not ping each other. I do have files share checked in each one. I also
have a Linskys storage link that is connected to two external disks. I can
see this storage link from each computer and ping it from each computer. The
U-verse program that is suppose to be managing my network see both
computers,storage link, wii,psp.replaytv and all five of my TVs. It says my
laptop is offline. I do not know how that could be.
Any help will be appreciated
Paja

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Let's make ping work first. Do you have 3rd party security software? If not,
have check the windows firewall settings?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Paja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a desktop and a laptop,both using XP. My router and internet modem
>is all in one.(U-verse). The desktop is wired to the modem, and the laptop
>is wireless. On both computer in my network,each computer shows up in my
>workgroup. Each computer will go on line,but they will not share files.
>They will not ping each other. I do have files share checked in each one. I
>also have a Linskys storage link that is connected to two external disks. I
>can see this storage link from each computer and ping it from each
>computer. The U-verse program that is suppose to be managing my network see
>both computers,storage link, wii,psp.replaytv and all five of my TVs. It
>says my laptop is offline. I do not know how that could be.
> Any help will be appreciated
> Paja

Jack-MVP

Hi
Maybe this can Help, make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer
allows free local traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native
Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your
Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult
your 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Paja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a desktop and a laptop,both using XP. My router and internet modem
>is all in one.(U-verse). The desktop is wired to the modem, and the laptop
>is wireless. On both computer in my network,each computer shows up in my
>workgroup. Each computer will go on line,but they will not share files.
>They will not ping each other. I do have files share checked in each one. I
>also have a Linskys storage link that is connected to two external disks. I
>can see this storage link from each computer and ping it from each
>computer. The U-verse program that is suppose to be managing my network see
>both computers,storage link, wii,psp.replaytv and all five of my TVs. It
>says my laptop is offline. I do not know how that could be.
> Any help will be appreciated
> Paja

Paja

Bob, you pointed me in the right direction. I do not have a third party
firewall on either computer. I use Mcaffee on both computers. I unenable
the window firewall on both computers, and still could not ping each other.
Then unenable the Mcaffee firewalls and was able to ping the laptop from the
desktop,but was not able to ping the desktop from the laptop. I reenable the
Mcaffee firewall on both computers and was still able to ping the laptop.
But when I tried to open the laptop,it said path not found.
Thanks
Paja
"Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Let's make ping work first. Do you have 3rd party security software? If
> not, have check the windows firewall settings?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Paja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a desktop and a laptop,both using XP. My router and internet modem
>>is all in one.(U-verse). The desktop is wired to the modem, and the laptop
>>is wireless. On both computer in my network,each computer shows up in my
>>workgroup. Each computer will go on line,but they will not share files.
>>They will not ping each other. I do have files share checked in each one.
>>I also have a Linskys storage link that is connected to two external
>>disks. I can see this storage link from each computer and ping it from
>>each computer. The U-verse program that is suppose to be managing my
>>network see both computers,storage link, wii,psp.replaytv and all five of
>>my TVs. It says my laptop is offline. I do not know how that could be.
>> Any help will be appreciated
>> Paja

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Thank you for the update. If the MacAfee is she issue and you want to use
it, you may want to re-configure it to allow LAN access.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

"Paja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bob, you pointed me in the right direction. I do not have a third party
> firewall on either computer. I use Mcaffee on both computers. I unenable
> the window firewall on both computers, and still could not ping each
> other. Then unenable the Mcaffee firewalls and was able to ping the laptop
> from the desktop,but was not able to ping the desktop from the laptop. I
> reenable the Mcaffee firewall on both computers and was still able to ping
> the laptop. But when I tried to open the laptop,it said path not found.
> Thanks
> Paja
> "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Let's make ping work first. Do you have 3rd party security software? If
>> not, have check the windows firewall settings?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Paja" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a desktop and a laptop,both using XP. My router and internet modem
>>>is all in one.(U-verse). The desktop is wired to the modem, and the
>>>laptop is wireless. On both computer in my network,each computer shows up
>>>in my workgroup. Each computer will go on line,but they will not share
>>>files. They will not ping each other. I do have files share checked in
>>>each one. I also have a Linskys storage link that is connected to two
>>>external disks. I can see this storage link from each computer and ping
>>>it from each computer. The U-verse program that is suppose to be managing
>>>my network see both computers,storage link, wii,psp.replaytv and all five
>>>of my TVs. It says my laptop is offline. I do not know how that could be.
>>> Any help will be appreciated
>>> Paja

Paja

I re-configured both computers, and I can file share from both computers. I
can ping the laptop from the desktop, but not the desktop from the laptop.
But we will not worry about the pings, file sharing is what I was tring to
do.
Thanks you very much Bob,