Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dimdows 7's Killer Feature

Dimdows 7's Killer Feature

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

So, now we know the secret weapon that will draw the teeming hordes to
upgrade to Windows 7: the fact that it can run just like XP!

The irony of this, in a product that won't actually offer a direct upgrade
path from XP, is interesting...

<http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4241>

Gordon

On 2009-04-28, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> So, now we know the secret weapon that will draw the teeming hordes to
> upgrade to Windows 7: the fact that it can run just like XP!
>
> The irony of this, in a product that won't actually offer a direct upgrade
> path from XP, is interesting...
>
><http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4241>

It is so simple. There is no need to upgrade from XP but you do upgrade from
Vista

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gt5o7p$1gd$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> So, now we know the secret weapon that will draw the teeming hordes to
> upgrade to Windows 7: the fact that it can run just like XP!

May have been an act of desperation, with some unexpected consequences:
running two different Windows installations in one means two support burdens
in one
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9132 177&intsrc=news_list>.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gtgv0j$l2v$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <gt5o7p$1gd$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> So, now we know the secret weapon that will draw the teeming hordes to
>> upgrade to Windows 7: the fact that it can run just like XP!

> May have been an act of desperation, with some unexpected consequences ...

Quite a few: doesn't offer you the security you would expect from
virtualization, as well as adding to the support burden
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4303>.