Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Don't You Just Love Apple...

Don't You Just Love Apple...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Sure it's crap, but it's STYLISH crap!

<http://techdirt.com/articles/20090427/0248404665.shtml>

news2.thing@gmail.com

On Apr 28, 1:26*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Sure it's crap, but it's STYLISH crap!
>
> <http://techdirt.com/articles/20090427/0248404665.shtml>

Personally I think the iPhone is the best ever phone....now if it was
$100 instead of $850 I'd buy one tomorrow....

;]

Hmm maybe $400....

regards

Thing

Alan

"whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
>> On Apr 28, 1:26 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
>> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> > Sure it's crap, but it's STYLISH crap!
>> >
>> > <http://techdirt.com/articles/20090427/0248404665.shtml>

>> Personally I think the iPhone is the best ever phone....now if it
>> was
>> $100 instead of $850 I'd buy one tomorrow....
>>
>> ;]
>>
>> Hmm maybe $400....
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

> I decided it was worth the money, especially as drive by voice will
> soon
> be enabled..... be able to sell off my GPS.
> Would love to be able to have a better way of organising the layout
> of
> my Apps though.

Hi,

If you want Drive-By-Voice, then just install an app that does it - no
need to wait for Apple to 'deign' to release one in their app store
surely?

There must be plenty of options out there. Not sure, but isn't Google
Maps free and does GPS navigation? Maybe it doesn't do voice for
free, but there are plenty of options out there.

Alan.

My unmunged email is: (E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Alan

"whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

{Snip}

> Drive by voice IS important as I have no intention of taking my eyes
> off
> the road to try and read a small screen. My GPS does it reasonably
> well
> but it is simply another device to own.

Totally agree - personally I wouldn't use a GPS without voice unless I
was a passenger navigator else you'd have to stop and pullover
regularly to be safe.

There are certainly dozens, probably hundreds of mobile apps that do
that today, so unless the unit you have needs a firmware update to
somehow unlock the GPS functionality (can't see why if the physical
components are already there), seems like you can just download and
install one today - no need to wait for Apple to give you permission
to use the unit that way.

Alan.

My unmunged email is: (E-Mail Removed) (valid for 30 days
min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Richard

Alan wrote:

> There are certainly dozens, probably hundreds of mobile apps that do
> that today, so unless the unit you have needs a firmware update to
> somehow unlock the GPS functionality (can't see why if the physical
> components are already there), seems like you can just download and
> install one today - no need to wait for Apple to give you permission to
> use the unit that way.

Unless you jailbreak it, possibly creating warranty hassles, you have to
have apples blessing of any applications you want to run on it, the
people providing the app have to accept apples high commission on sales
and the possibility of returns that end up costing them.

And untill apple approve a drive by voice GPS then there you are out of
luck.

Whereas a S60 phone comes with it that just needs activation either per
use or an ongoing thing.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

.... found guilty of deliberately stealing other people's Intellectual Property ...

<http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/apple-found-guilty-of-willful-patent-infringement.ars>

Alan

news:gt6nqs$4lt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alan wrote:
>
>> There are certainly dozens, probably hundreds of mobile apps that
>> do that today, so unless the unit you have needs a firmware update
>> to somehow unlock the GPS functionality (can't see why if the
>> physical components are already there), seems like you can just
>> download and install one today - no need to wait for Apple to give
>> you permission to use the unit that way.

> Unless you jailbreak it, possibly creating warranty hassles, you
> have to have apples blessing of any applications you want to run on
> it, the people providing the app have to accept apples high
> commission on sales and the possibility of returns that end up
> costing them.
>
> And untill apple approve a drive by voice GPS then there you are out
> of luck.

That's so ridiculous you must be mistaken.

You own the device, you aren't just renting it from Apple are you?

If Apple still own it, and you are only *paying* to rent it, then
fine, but no one is going to be stupid enough to buy a device that
they can't use in whatever way they want once it is their property.

Sorry, but people just aren't that dumb.

> Whereas a S60 phone comes with it that just needs activation either
> per use or an ongoing thing.

Which is no more than you would expect.

Alan wrote:

> That's so ridiculous you must be mistaken.
>
> You own the device, you aren't just renting it from Apple are you?
>
> If Apple still own it, and you are only *paying* to rent it, then fine,
> but no one is going to be stupid enough to buy a device that they can't
> use in whatever way they want once it is their property.
>
> Sorry, but people just aren't that dumb.

You know damn well that people are that dumb and thats exactly how the
itunes app store works

>> Whereas a S60 phone comes with it that just needs activation either
>> per use or an ongoing thing.
>>

> Which is no more than you would expect.

however nokia maps is pretty lame in the test I did of it compared to a
proper navman or a garman.