Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Laptop Adapter

Laptop Adapter

ndkco

I purchased a D-Link Rangebooster N Notebook Adapter for my 3year old Compaq
Pressario. When I tried to plug it in it did not fit. I looked in the slot
anf it looks like I need a different type adapter. I have the standard
straight pin type, but it looks like I need one with only half the amount of
pins The blank thats in the slot looks like it has a cutout requireing only
half the amount of pins for connecters. I haven't seen anything other than
what I bought. Any help would be appreciated, thanks Neil

Jack-MVP

Hi
Did you try to look at a standard 802.11g?
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"ndkco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I purchased a D-Link Rangebooster N Notebook Adapter for my 3year old
>Compaq
> Pressario. When I tried to plug it in it did not fit. I looked in the slot
> anf it looks like I need a different type adapter. I have the standard
> straight pin type, but it looks like I need one with only half the amount
> of
> pins The blank thats in the slot looks like it has a cutout requireing
> only
> half the amount of pins for connecters. I haven't seen anything other than
> what I bought. Any help would be appreciated, thanks Neil

ndkco

It currently has a built in b/g but i bought a new router N and wanted to
make use of the N speed. I did look at the g and the pin configuration is the
same as the N.

"Jack-MVP" wrote:

> Hi
> Did you try to look at a standard 802.11g?
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "ndkco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I purchased a D-Link Rangebooster N Notebook Adapter for my 3year old
> >Compaq
> > Pressario. When I tried to plug it in it did not fit. I looked in the slot
> > anf it looks like I need a different type adapter. I have the standard
> > straight pin type, but it looks like I need one with only half the amount
> > of
> > pins The blank thats in the slot looks like it has a cutout requireing
> > only
> > half the amount of pins for connecters. I haven't seen anything other than
> > what I bought. Any help would be appreciated, thanks Neil

Lem

ndkco wrote:
> I purchased a D-Link Rangebooster N Notebook Adapter for my 3year old Compaq
> Pressario. When I tried to plug it in it did not fit. I looked in the slot
> anf it looks like I need a different type adapter. I have the standard
> straight pin type, but it looks like I need one with only half the amount of
> pins The blank thats in the slot looks like it has a cutout requireing only
> half the amount of pins for connecters. I haven't seen anything other than
> what I bought. Any help would be appreciated, thanks Neil

What is the exact model of your Presario?

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Lem

Lem wrote:
> ndkco wrote:
>> I purchased a D-Link Rangebooster N Notebook Adapter for my 3year old
>> Compaq Pressario. When I tried to plug it in it did not fit. I looked
>> in the slot anf it looks like I need a different type adapter. I have
>> the standard straight pin type, but it looks like I need one with only
>> half the amount of pins The blank thats in the slot looks like it has
>> a cutout requireing only half the amount of pins for connecters. I
>> haven't seen anything other than what I bought. Any help would be
>> appreciated, thanks Neil

> What is the exact model of your Presario?

As a guess, your Presario probably has an Express Card slot rather than
a CardBus slot. According to Wikipedia, HP began shipping systems with
Express Card slots in 2004, so your 3-year-old laptop certainly could
have one. Unfortunately for you, the Express Card connector isn't
backwards compatible with PC Cards.

Look at the specs for your laptop. If you do have an Express Card slot,
and you still want a D-Link draft 802.11n adapter, return your
RangeBooster and get a D-Link DWA-643 Xtreme N Notebook ExpressCard.

For more info, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_card
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressCard

--