Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Preventing installation of usb device?

Preventing installation of usb device?

simonc

I am running Windows XPx64 but have discovered that there are no drivers for
my printer, scanner etc. Normal situation I would have thought.

I have a Virtual Machine running Windows XP 32bit which can access the
printer, scanner but only when these devices are not installed on my host x64
OS. Unfortunately whenever I boot up x64 or plug in these devices they are
detected as new hardware and installed. Is there a way of preventing this
happening, so that the devices are available for the virtual machine?

Grateful for advice.

Carlos

Hi,
Every time you boot XP x64 it makes an attempt to load drivers for your
printer and scanner.
From what you say those attempts are unsuccessful.
Doesn't XP x64 then offer you "never ask for drivers again" or something
like that?
Checking that option should fix your issue.
Another thing worth trying would be to disable your printer and scanner in
Device Manager.
Right click on your problematic device and choose "Disable".
Carlos

"simonc" wrote:

> I am running Windows XPx64 but have discovered that there are no drivers for
> my printer, scanner etc. Normal situation I would have thought.
>
> I have a Virtual Machine running Windows XP 32bit which can access the
> printer, scanner but only when these devices are not installed on my host x64
> OS. Unfortunately whenever I boot up x64 or plug in these devices they are
> detected as new hardware and installed. Is there a way of preventing this
> happening, so that the devices are available for the virtual machine?
>
> Grateful for advice.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
If I recall properly we used to use something like scsidev.inf, renamed the
inf and added the entries of the device using one of the entries in the
file.
Copy an existing entry, rename if and add the PNP replacing the existing
PNP ID.
This inf if I recall the name has the nodrv entries in it.
But that was back in the Windows 2000 days.
What the inf does is use the created entry for the device, telling it
either to install a null driver or the device doesn't need a driver.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
| >From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
| >Subject: RE: Preventing installation of usb device?
| >Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 05:21:01 -0700
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
| >
| >Hi,
| >Every time you boot XP x64 it makes an attempt to load drivers for your
| >printer and scanner.
| >From what you say those attempts are unsuccessful.
| >Doesn't XP x64 then offer you "never ask for drivers again" or something
| >like that?
| >Checking that option should fix your issue.
| >Another thing worth trying would be to disable your printer and scanner
in
| >Device Manager.
| >Right click on your problematic device and choose "Disable".
| >Carlos
| >
| >"simonc" wrote:
| >
| >> I am running Windows XPx64 but have discovered that there are no
drivers for
| >> my printer, scanner etc. Normal situation I would have thought.
| >>
| >> I have a Virtual Machine running Windows XP 32bit which can access the
| >> printer, scanner but only when these devices are not installed on my
host x64
| >> OS. Unfortunately whenever I boot up x64 or plug in these devices they
are
| >> detected as new hardware and installed. Is there a way of preventing
this
| >> happening, so that the devices are available for the virtual machine?
| >>
| >> Grateful for advice.

Juergen Kluth

Hi,
i have never tried this:

you may disable plug and play SERVICE on the host
and / or UNIVERSAL plug and play service

jk