Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences

Conor

In article <JL1Jl.19877$(E-Mail Removed)> , 7 says...
> Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences
>
> I just don't believe it!

Neither do I. EIGHTEEN MONTHS AFTER THEY ****ED UP WINDOWS NETWORK
SHARE BROWSING it is still ****ed. Had to install a package and edit a
config file to get it working but then aMSN borks because it won't work
with winbind installed.

And they managed to introduce a 50% performance hit in the Intel
graphics driver.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams

Hadron

Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <JL1Jl.19877$(E-Mail Removed)> , 7 says...
>> Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences
>>
>> I just don't believe it!

> Neither do I. EIGHTEEN MONTHS AFTER THEY ****ED UP WINDOWS NETWORK
> SHARE BROWSING it is still ****ed. Had to install a package and edit a
> config file to get it working but then aMSN borks because it won't work
> with winbind installed.
>
> And they managed to introduce a 50% performance hit in the Intel
> graphics driver.

You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
driver now after the upgrade.

--
In view of all the deadly computer viruses that have been spreading
lately, Weekend Update would like to remind you: when you link up to

Conor

In article <gt41g0$72g$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Hadron says...
> Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > In article <JL1Jl.19877$(E-Mail Removed)> , 7 says...
> >> Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences
> >> -------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> I just don't believe it!

> > Neither do I. EIGHTEEN MONTHS AFTER THEY ****ED UP WINDOWS NETWORK
> > SHARE BROWSING it is still ****ed. Had to install a package and edit a
> > config file to get it working but then aMSN borks because it won't work
> > with winbind installed.
> >
> > And they managed to introduce a 50% performance hit in the Intel
> > graphics driver.

> You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
> driver now after the upgrade.

Mine is a 945 chipset. I understand that some others are getting well
hammered.

--

Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <gt41g0$72g$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Hadron says...
>> Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>> > In article <JL1Jl.19877$(E-Mail Removed)> , 7 says...

>> > Neither do I. EIGHTEEN MONTHS AFTER THEY ****ED UP WINDOWS NETWORK
>> > SHARE BROWSING it is still ****ed. Had to install a package and edit a
>> > config file to get it working but then aMSN borks because it won't work
>> > with winbind installed.
>> >
>> > And they managed to introduce a 50% performance hit in the Intel
>> > graphics driver.

>> You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
>> driver now after the upgrade.
>>

> Mine is a 945 chipset. I understand that some others are getting well
> hammered.

The problem is too many freetards claiming it all just works without
even trying things half the time. If the COLA freetards spent half their
time reporting back bugs in the beta stages this sort of thing would not
happen - but they don't because most of them are lying frauds who
probably never even installed something or if they did then the desktop
up is enough for "all works flawlessly" claims. They never tried
changing resolution, they never tried a printer or modem or scanner and
they never tried multiple monitors. It's a crying shame.

Can anyone tell me if the gksudo bug is still there in the nvidia
settings menu option in Ubuntu?

--
In view of all the deadly computer viruses that have been spreading
lately, Weekend Update would like to remind you: when you link up to
another computer, you’re linking up to every computer that that
computer has ever linked up to. — Dennis Miller

Doctor Smith

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:30:21 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> In article <JL1Jl.19877$(E-Mail Removed)> , 7 says...
>>> Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences
>>>
>>> I just don't believe it!

>> Neither do I. EIGHTEEN MONTHS AFTER THEY ****ED UP WINDOWS NETWORK
>> SHARE BROWSING it is still ****ed. Had to install a package and edit a
>> config file to get it working but then aMSN borks because it won't work
>> with winbind installed.
>>
>> And they managed to introduce a 50% performance hit in the Intel
>> graphics driver.

> You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
> driver now after the upgrade.

It's one of the big problems along with sound.
It looks to me that Ubuntu 9.04 was released well before the bugs were
removed.

The Intel graphics chip is very popular.

Doctor Smith

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:48:33 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
>>> driver now after the upgrade.
>>>

>> Mine is a 945 chipset. I understand that some others are getting well
>> hammered.

> The problem is too many freetards claiming it all just works without
> even trying things half the time. If the COLA freetards spent half their
> time reporting back bugs in the beta stages this sort of thing would not
> happen - but they don't because most of them are lying frauds who
> probably never even installed something or if they did then the desktop
> up is enough for "all works flawlessly" claims. They never tried
> changing resolution, they never tried a printer or modem or scanner and
> they never tried multiple monitors. It's a crying shame.

I think you have hit the nail on the head Hadron !!!
Obviously, the Ubuntu fanbois are NOT reporting the bugs because the same
bugs propagate from version to version.
The nvidia settings problem for one.

There is also the possibility that the high and mighty developers aren't
listening.
I reported a bug with ALSA once and got back a whole collection of
gibberish on how I should be using a different kernel and should patch it
with the included information etc.

I wrote back and asked why they just couldn't fix the problem?
I never got another reply and they never got another bug report from me.
The bug lasted all the way up until they semi-integrated ALSA with the
kernel.

> Can anyone tell me if the gksudo bug is still there in the nvidia
> settings menu option in Ubuntu?

Yes it is.
Same problem, although the error message doesn't tell you your disk might
be full anymore.
Now it just says "cannot write file".

Hadron

Doctor Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:30:21 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>
>> Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> In article <JL1Jl.19877$(E-Mail Removed)> , 7 says...

>>> Neither do I. EIGHTEEN MONTHS AFTER THEY ****ED UP WINDOWS NETWORK
>>> SHARE BROWSING it is still ****ed. Had to install a package and edit a
>>> config file to get it working but then aMSN borks because it won't work
>>> with winbind installed.
>>>
>>> And they managed to introduce a 50% performance hit in the Intel
>>> graphics driver.

>> You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
>> driver now after the upgrade.

> It's one of the big problems along with sound.
> It looks to me that Ubuntu 9.04 was released well before the bugs were
> removed.
>
> The Intel graphics chip is very popular.

Certainly on low end machines which freetards tend to prefer since they
can't play many games etc anyway. I still shake my head when I think of
Jeb telling us how virtual desktops where far better than multiple
monitors. He really could not see who and why multiple monitors are
useful and how many people use them these days, especially in home media
setups like I have.

--
In view of all the deadly computer viruses that have been spreading
lately, Weekend Update would like to remind you: when you link up to
another computer, you’re linking up to every computer that that
computer has ever linked up to. — Dennis Miller

Hadron

Doctor Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:48:33 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>
>> Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> In article <gt41g0$72g$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Hadron says...

>>> Mine is a 945 chipset. I understand that some others are getting well
>>> hammered.

>> The problem is too many freetards claiming it all just works without
>> even trying things half the time. If the COLA freetards spent half their
>> time reporting back bugs in the beta stages this sort of thing would not
>> happen - but they don't because most of them are lying frauds who
>> probably never even installed something or if they did then the desktop
>> up is enough for "all works flawlessly" claims. They never tried
>> changing resolution, they never tried a printer or modem or scanner and
>> they never tried multiple monitors. It's a crying shame.

> I think you have hit the nail on the head Hadron !!!
> Obviously, the Ubuntu fanbois are NOT reporting the bugs because the same
> bugs propagate from version to version.
> The nvidia settings problem for one.

"works for me" is always the easiest. Or the following wrong
advice. Pity Liarnut hadnt listen to me or he would not have hosed his
debian system when he upgraded his kernel.

> There is also the possibility that the high and mighty developers aren't
> listening.
> I reported a bug with ALSA once and got back a whole collection of
> gibberish on how I should be using a different kernel and should patch it
> with the included information etc.

Nonsense I know.

> I wrote back and asked why they just couldn't fix the problem?
> I never got another reply and they never got another bug report from me.
> The bug lasted all the way up until they semi-integrated ALSA with the
> kernel.
>
>> Can anyone tell me if the gksudo bug is still there in the nvidia
>> settings menu option in Ubuntu?

> Yes it is.
> Same problem, although the error message doesn't tell you your disk might
> be full anymore.
> Now it just says "cannot write file".

Shocking : almost the FIRST things people do after an install is want to
configure their (dual) monitor(s).

--

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 18:24:20 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Doctor Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> The problem is too many freetards claiming it all just works without
>>> even trying things half the time. If the COLA freetards spent half their
>>> time reporting back bugs in the beta stages this sort of thing would not
>>> happen - but they don't because most of them are lying frauds who
>>> probably never even installed something or if they did then the desktop
>>> up is enough for "all works flawlessly" claims. They never tried
>>> changing resolution, they never tried a printer or modem or scanner and
>>> they never tried multiple monitors. It's a crying shame.

>> I think you have hit the nail on the head Hadron !!!
>> Obviously, the Ubuntu fanbois are NOT reporting the bugs because the same
>> bugs propagate from version to version.
>> The nvidia settings problem for one.

> "works for me" is always the easiest. Or the following wrong
> advice. Pity Liarnut hadnt listen to me or he would not have hosed his
> debian system when he upgraded his kernel.
>

>> There is also the possibility that the high and mighty developers aren't
>> listening.
>> I reported a bug with ALSA once and got back a whole collection of
>> gibberish on how I should be using a different kernel and should patch it
>> with the included information etc.

> Nonsense I know.
>

>> I wrote back and asked why they just couldn't fix the problem?
>> I never got another reply and they never got another bug report from me.
>> The bug lasted all the way up until they semi-integrated ALSA with the
>> kernel.
>>
>>> Can anyone tell me if the gksudo bug is still there in the nvidia
>>> settings menu option in Ubuntu?

>> Yes it is.
>> Same problem, although the error message doesn't tell you your disk might
>> be full anymore.
>> Now it just says "cannot write file".

> Shocking : almost the FIRST things people do after an install is want to
> configure their (dual) monitor(s).

It's true and I can't believe that this problem has been with Ubuntu for at
least the past 3 versions.

I guess the developers are spending all their time with eye candy.

Another gotcha is that they don't even include the Control Center as part
of the default menues !!

You have to wade through a menu editor to find it and add it to the menus.

Oh, and it's not under System Administration where you think it would be.
It's located under "Other".

Yea, that makes sense

Doctor Smith

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 18:17:32 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Doctor Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> You're lucky. A friend of mine can't get X up at all with the Intel
>>> driver now after the upgrade.

>> It's one of the big problems along with sound.
>> It looks to me that Ubuntu 9.04 was released well before the bugs were
>> removed.
>>
>> The Intel graphics chip is very popular.

> Certainly on low end machines which freetards tend to prefer since they
> can't play many games etc anyway. I still shake my head when I think of
> Jeb telling us how virtual desktops where far better than multiple
> monitors. He really could not see who and why multiple monitors are
> useful and how many people use them these days, especially in home media
> setups like I have.

It's frightening!