Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laptop reboots halfway through loading recovery disk

Laptop reboots halfway through loading recovery disk

Paul

Hi everyone,

In the past few hours, my Toshiba Satellite M100 has developed a
problem with the recovery DVD.
This morning, I restored the computer to factory state, and everything
went fine. I then realised I'd forgotten something so decided to run
the recovery again about 4 hours later.
The screen says 'Loading RAMDISK Image', the progress bar fills up at
the bottom, the mouse pointer appears then two seconds later it
reboots.
I find it difficult to believe something has gone wrong with the
hardware in that 4 hours. I've also made a copy of the disk but the
same thing happens?
If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

--\) * SItRe JoSePheNNe MAGAnA * \(--

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> In the past few hours, my Toshiba Satellite M100 has developed a
> problem with the recovery DVD.
> This morning, I restored the computer to factory state, and everything
> went fine. I then realised I'd forgotten something so decided to run
> the recovery again about 4 hours later.
> The screen says 'Loading RAMDISK Image', the progress bar fills up at
> the bottom, the mouse pointer appears then two seconds later it
> reboots.
> I find it difficult to believe something has gone wrong with the
> hardware in that 4 hours. I've also made a copy of the disk but the
> same thing happens?
> If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.
> Thanks.

What else would U expect from a Toshitba?

Paul

On Apr 27, 6:50*pm, "--\) * SItRe JoSePheNNe MAGAnA * \(--"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Hi everyone,

> > In the past few hours, my Toshiba Satellite M100 has developed a
> > problem with the recovery DVD.
> > This morning, I restored the computer to factory state, and everything
> > went fine. I then realised I'd forgotten something so decided to run
> > the recovery again about 4 hours later.
> > The screen says 'Loading RAMDISK Image', the progress bar fills up at
> > the bottom, the mouse pointer appears then two seconds later it
> > reboots.
> > I find it difficult to believe something has gone wrong with the
> > hardware in that 4 hours. I've also made a copy of the disk but the
> > same thing happens?
> > If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.
> > Thanks.

> What else would U expect from a Toshitba?

I've had Toshiba laptops for years and never had a single problem
until now.
Also, thanks for your helpful reply.

--\) * SItRe JoSePheNNe MAGAnA * \(--

"Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> In the past few hours, my Toshiba Satellite M100 has developed a
>> problem with the recovery DVD.
>> This morning, I restored the computer to factory state, and everything
>> went fine. I then realised I'd forgotten something so decided to run
>> the recovery again about 4 hours later.
>> The screen says 'Loading RAMDISK Image', the progress bar fills up at
>> the bottom, the mouse pointer appears then two seconds later it
>> reboots.
>> I find it difficult to believe something has gone wrong with the
>> hardware in that 4 hours. I've also made a copy of the disk but the
>> same thing happens?
>> If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.
>> Thanks.

> Its not getting too hot by any chance?
> --
> Brian Cryer
> www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Y wud it b getting 2 hot he juz turned it on?

Paul

On Apr 27, 7:08*pm, "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost> wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Hi everyone,

> > In the past few hours, my Toshiba Satellite M100 has developed a
> > problem with the recovery DVD.
> > This morning, I restored the computer to factory state, and everything
> > went fine. I then realised I'd forgotten something so decided to run
> > the recovery again about 4 hours later.
> > The screen says 'Loading RAMDISK Image', the progress bar fills up at
> > the bottom, the mouse pointer appears then two seconds later it
> > reboots.
> > I find it difficult to believe something has gone wrong with the
> > hardware in that 4 hours. I've also made a copy of the disk but the
> > same thing happens?
> > If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.
> > Thanks.

> Its not getting too hot by any chance?
> --
> Brian Cryerwww.cryer.co.uk/brian

Hi Brian,

I wouldn't have thought so, I'm running a cooling pad under it.
According to the specs I've found before, the HD is 10C below the max
and the CPU is 25C below the max.
I also forgot to mention that I haven't changed anything in the BIOS.
I don't think any software on the HD would have this effect as its not
touching Windows or anything else thats installed when I boot from the
DVD.

Paul

chuckcar

Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi everyone,
>
> In the past few hours, my Toshiba Satellite M100 has developed a
> problem with the recovery DVD.
> This morning, I restored the computer to factory state, and everything
> went fine. I then realised I'd forgotten something so decided to run
> the recovery again about 4 hours later.
> The screen says 'Loading RAMDISK Image', the progress bar fills up at
> the bottom, the mouse pointer appears then two seconds later it
> reboots.
> I find it difficult to believe something has gone wrong with the
> hardware in that 4 hours. I've also made a copy of the disk but the
> same thing happens?
> If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.
> Thanks.

A couple things to try and make sure of.

1. Enter the BIOS and load the BIOS defaults.
2. Unplug *anything* in PCMCIA, Fireware or USB ports before you run the
recovery. They're meant to be run *only* with the factory installed
hardware.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Evan Platt

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:57:05 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>A couple things to try and make sure of.
>
>1. Enter the BIOS and load the BIOS defaults.

Do NOT follow chucktards advice.

Between his canned "Reset your BIOS" and Dan C's "Format your hard
drive", there may be an IQ of 30 - on a good day.

Evan Platt

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:02:22 +0100, "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost>
wrote:

>I can't comment on previous posts, but Chuckcar's advice here seems sound.
>I've never known it to be unsafe loading the BIOS defaults. Similarly
>unplugging everything else is a good idea - I've known two different
>computers fail to boot because of extra devices plugged in.

To a more advanced user, yes, I might recommend a reset of BIOS
defaults. To a novice user? No, I wouldn't recommend it.

chuckcar

"Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Evan Platt" <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:57:05 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>A couple things to try and make sure of.
>>>
>>>1. Enter the BIOS and load the BIOS defaults.

>> Do NOT follow chucktards advice.
>>
>> Between his canned "Reset your BIOS" and Dan C's "Format your hard
>> drive", there may be an IQ of 30 - on a good day.

> I can't comment on previous posts, but Chuckcar's advice here seems
> sound. I've never known it to be unsafe loading the BIOS defaults.
> Similarly unplugging everything else is a good idea - I've known two
> different computers fail to boot because of extra devices plugged in.

In fact most name brand restore disks (if not all) *won't* work at *all*
without the original hardware as they don't have any other drivers, so
hence they fail. The BIOS step is just about the only other thing that
*can* be wrong - short of a BIOS hook to a virus.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I can't comment on previous posts, but Chuckcar's advice here seems
>> sound. I've never known it to be unsafe loading the BIOS defaults.
>> Similarly unplugging everything else is a good idea - I've known two
>> different computers fail to boot because of extra devices plugged in.

>In fact most name brand restore disks (if not all) *won't* work at *all*
>without the original hardware as they don't have any other drivers, so
>hence they fail. The BIOS step is just about the only other thing that
>*can* be wrong - short of a BIOS hook to a virus.

(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Chucktard, Chuckturd, Idiot, Clueless, Stupid and many more names this
persons is called as time goes on. He makes no friends and alienates
all he comes in contact with.

He will give wrong information, stick to it to his last breath, then
change his stance to the proper solution when it appears - taking
credit for it as well.

This person has no self pity and will steal others advice as his own.
It's quite obvious when it happens.

(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ) always has to appear right or correct
and those long threads you see involving him is a "who can last the
longest" or just the fact that he has to be right no matter how wrong
he is. and I swear, last post appears important as well, an awful
combination.

While this is no problem and has happened before, this person will
give advice that can cause you to lose your data, lose your computer
(bad bios info) or just flat screw you.

(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ) running Win98, a person who has never
used a NT OS yet feels quite comfortable giving advice he has never
used himself.

This group likes the fact it's able to help others, (setq (chuck nil)
car(chuck) ) really doesn't care about the user, just how he comes
across (and that's always him being seen as right)

But (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ) anytime you come up with some of
your bogus advice, I will call you on it.

Seriously if you receive advice from (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) ),
google the information first to see if it's even in the ball park.

Pennywise.
--

http://whybenormal.today.com/files/2...atter-what.jpg