Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences

Bambleweeny57

7 wrote:
> Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences

I'm upgrading a laptop with an encrypted disk (from 8.10 to 9.04) right
now and I have to admit I'm slightly nervous.

I've had one upgrade fail - the system hung after logging on. I think I
know what caused it, the alarm-clock app of all things.

But having successfully installed I have to say I am impressed by the
improvements in boot time and general responsiveness.

BW

--
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Bambleweeny57

7 wrote:
> Bambleweeny57 wrote:
>
>> 7 wrote:
>>> Ubuntu 9.04 Dumbfoundationalism Experiences

>> I'm upgrading a laptop with an encrypted disk (from 8.10 to 9.04) right
>> now and I have to admit I'm slightly nervous.
>>
>> I've had one upgrade fail - the system hung after logging on. I think I
>> know what caused it, the alarm-clock app of all things.
>>
>> But having successfully installed I have to say I am impressed by the
>> improvements in boot time and general responsiveness.

> It goes without saying upgrades should be done after a back up of ALL DATA.

I work from two desktops and two laptops - I have created my own "cloud"
to store my data so its independent of the machine itself (using a
combination of subversion, unison and foxmarks). I've also created my
own ubuntu package that sets up my machine the way I like it, from a
vanilla ubuntu install.

> Good to hear your upgrade went through OK.

So far - one upgrade failed, two succeeded (including the laptop w. the
encrypted disk).

> I plan a few upgrades instead of re-installs myself.

I have to say I am impressed by Ubuntu's upgrade process. In the past I
have been badly burnt by both windows & linux upgrades to the point
where I no longer bother and go straight to clean installs. I tried the
8.04 to 8.10 upgrade more as an experiment than a serious attempt to
upgrade a live machine. It worked so well I've used for the last few
months... without any issues. Quite suprising given how much I muck
machines around

BW

--
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.