Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 has Virtual XP Mode

Windows 7 has Virtual XP Mode

Charlie Russel - MVP

It looks like Windows 7 will have a Virtual XP machine directly embedded in
it.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...irtual-pc.aspx.
It's too early to have all the details yet, but as soon as we can see/talk
about them, I'll have more to post. But this validates what I've been
suggesting for quite a while - use virtualization and a legacy OS instead of
setting up a dual boot, which has all kinds of problems. Of course, the
devil will be in the details, but stay tuned.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Carlos

Charlie,
Certainly good news!
Is it available in build 7100 (release candidate)?
Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> It looks like Windows 7 will have a Virtual XP machine directly embedded in
> it.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...irtual-pc.aspx.
> It's too early to have all the details yet, but as soon as we can see/talk
> about them, I'll have more to post. But this validates what I've been
> suggesting for quite a while - use virtualization and a legacy OS instead of
> setting up a dual boot, which has all kinds of problems. Of course, the
> devil will be in the details, but stay tuned.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Dominic Payer

The reports I have seen say it will be a separate download, but
available only to Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate.
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/bus...irtual-pc.aspx

The screenshots at
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/xp_mode_pre_shots.asp suggest it has
useful USB ability.

If it is not available to Home Premium, consumers with legacy printers
and scanners will need a dual boot or non-Microsoft virtualisation
solution or have to buy new peripherals.

On 26/04/2009 19:35, Carlos wrote:
> Charlie,
> Certainly good news!
> Is it available in build 7100 (release candidate)?
> Carlos
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> It looks like Windows 7 will have a Virtual XP machine directly embedded in
>> it.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...irtual-pc.aspx.
>> It's too early to have all the details yet, but as soon as we can see/talk
>> about them, I'll have more to post. But this validates what I've been
>> suggesting for quite a while - use virtualization and a legacy OS instead of
>> setting up a dual boot, which has all kinds of problems. Of course, the
>> devil will be in the details, but stay tuned.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Carlos

Dominic,
Thanks for the info.

Carlos

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> The reports I have seen say it will be a separate download, but
> available only to Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate.
> http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/bus...irtual-pc.aspx
>
> The screenshots at
> http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/xp_mode_pre_shots.asp suggest it has
> useful USB ability.
>
> If it is not available to Home Premium, consumers with legacy printers
> and scanners will need a dual boot or non-Microsoft virtualisation
> solution or have to buy new peripherals.
>

> On 26/04/2009 19:35, Carlos wrote:
> > Charlie,
> > Certainly good news!
> > Is it available in build 7100 (release candidate)?
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> It looks like Windows 7 will have a Virtual XP machine directly embedded in
> >> it.
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...irtual-pc.aspx.
> >> It's too early to have all the details yet, but as soon as we can see/talk
> >> about them, I'll have more to post. But this validates what I've been
> >> suggesting for quite a while - use virtualization and a legacy OS instead of
> >> setting up a dual boot, which has all kinds of problems. Of course, the
> >> devil will be in the details, but stay tuned.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

I honestly am not permitted to answer that question, Carlos. But usually
when we see a bunch of releases to the media like this, just before the
release of a major milestone build, it's something that will be available
for, or in, the milestone build. But, of course, that's purely speculation.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

johnsuth@nospam.com.au

In <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>It looks like Windows 7 will have a Virtual XP machine directly embedded in
>it.
>http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...irtual-pc.aspx.
>It's too early to have all the details yet, but as soon as we can see/talk
>about them, I'll have more to post. But this validates what I've been
>suggesting for quite a while - use virtualization and a legacy OS instead of
>setting up a dual boot, which has all kinds of problems. Of course, the
>devil will be in the details, but stay tuned.
>
>--
>Charlie.
>http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel

Yes, I still use DOS applications in emulated DOS, but XP Pro x64 appears not to
support DOS apps.

Carol Steele

What I would like to know is what happens if you happen to be running the
64-bit version of Windows 7 - does it use the Windows XP 32-bit or Windows XP
64-bit virtual machine. To run legacy applications, it would be imperative
that it is the Windows XP (32-bit) machine.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> It looks like Windows 7 will have a Virtual XP machine directly embedded in
> it.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...irtual-pc.aspx.
> It's too early to have all the details yet, but as soon as we can see/talk
> about them, I'll have more to post. But this validates what I've been
> suggesting for quite a while - use virtualization and a legacy OS instead of
> setting up a dual boot, which has all kinds of problems. Of course, the
> devil will be in the details, but stay tuned.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

As you point out, for legacy application support, it would need to run
Windows XP 32-bit. And given the difficulty Microsoft has had getting 64-bit
guest support into their virtualization solutions (so far, only Hyper-V
supports 64-bit guests), I would expect this to support XP 32-bit for the
guest. Given the terse nature of the public post, I can't go beyond that
speculation.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Carol Steele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What I would like to know is what happens if you happen to be running the
> 64-bit version of Windows 7 - does it use the Windows XP 32-bit or Windows
> XP
> 64-bit virtual machine. To run legacy applications, it would be
> imperative
> that it is the Windows XP (32-bit) machine.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> It looks like Windows 7 will have a Virtual XP machine directly embedded
>> in
>> it.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...irtual-pc.aspx.
>> It's too early to have all the details yet, but as soon as we can
>> see/talk
>> about them, I'll have more to post. But this validates what I've been
>> suggesting for quite a while - use virtualization and a legacy OS instead
>> of
>> setting up a dual boot, which has all kinds of problems. Of course, the
>> devil will be in the details, but stay tuned.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Carol Steele

Thanks Charlie - I realise that you would probably be breaking your NDA if
you went further, but what you have said is reassuring. Do you have any idea
(or are able to say) will it be part of the RC version (7100) which is due
for public appraisal around 9th May?? Or will it be released as a separate
entity later on during the beta phase??

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> As you point out, for legacy application support, it would need to run
> Windows XP 32-bit. And given the difficulty Microsoft has had getting 64-bit
> guest support into their virtualization solutions (so far, only Hyper-V
> supports 64-bit guests), I would expect this to support XP 32-bit for the
> guest. Given the terse nature of the public post, I can't go beyond that
> speculation.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "Carol Steele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > What I would like to know is what happens if you happen to be running the
> > 64-bit version of Windows 7 - does it use the Windows XP 32-bit or Windows
> > XP
> > 64-bit virtual machine. To run legacy applications, it would be
> > imperative
> > that it is the Windows XP (32-bit) machine.
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> It looks like Windows 7 will have a Virtual XP machine directly embedded
> >> in
> >> it.
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc...irtual-pc.aspx.
> >> It's too early to have all the details yet, but as soon as we can
> >> see/talk
> >> about them, I'll have more to post. But this validates what I've been
> >> suggesting for quite a while - use virtualization and a legacy OS instead
> >> of
> >> setting up a dual boot, which has all kinds of problems. Of course, the
> >> devil will be in the details, but stay tuned.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

I have no idea other than what has been publicly said. At least one site
that apparently doesn't have the same NDA I do says that it will be a
separate download but available on or about the same time as the RC public
download. I have no idea how accurate that information is, and if I did, I
couldn't say.

--
Charlie.