Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VOIP in Greece?

VOIP in Greece?

Tomasz Chmielewski

Does anyone know any VOIP provider (SIP) which would assign a Hellenic
(i.e. from Greece) telephone number?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

Theo Markettos

Tomasz Chmielewski <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anyone know any VOIP provider (SIP) which would assign a Hellenic
> (i.e. from Greece) telephone number?

If you Google 'greece voip did' you can find some providers. Randomly
selected one:
http://www.fonosip.com/english/plan-numeros.html

That one sounds quite cheap at USD10/month - last time I looked around other
providers it was about EUR15/month, in other words the price of a domestic
landline but without the wires.

Theo

Philippe Deleye

"Tomasz Chmielewski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gt1fp7$kgi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know any VOIP provider (SIP) which would assign a Hellenic
> (i.e. from Greece) telephone number?

My own (Belgian) VOIP Provider WeePee offers DID numbers in many countries.
* set-up fee 9,00 EUR
* cost: 0.195 EUR/day (e.g. less than 6 EUR/month)
* Phone costs:
- to Greece landline 0.018 EUR/min, Greece mobile 0.19 EUR/min
- to UK landline 0.03 EUR/min, UK mobile 0.227 EUR/min

Home page http://weepeetelecom.eu/index.html
Costs for DID numbers: http://weepeetelecom.eu/bedrijven/internationaal/
Calling costs: http://weepeetelecom.eu/tarieven/
Unfortunately webpages only in Dutch

Philippe.

Tomasz Chmielewski

Theo Markettos schrieb:
> Tomasz Chmielewski <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Does anyone know any VOIP provider (SIP) which would assign a Hellenic
>> (i.e. from Greece) telephone number?

> If you Google 'greece voip did' you can find some providers. Randomly
> selected one:
> http://www.fonosip.com/english/plan-numeros.html
>
> That one sounds quite cheap at USD10/month - last time I looked around other
> providers it was about EUR15/month, in other words the price of a domestic
> landline but without the wires.

$10, just for a VoIP number, a month? It is expensive to me.
Don't get me wrong, $10 is not much in itself, but for a bit more (i.e.
~15 euro/month, BASE in Germany) you can get a mobile SIM card which
lets you call landlines and selected mobile operators for as long as you
wish.

Also, you can get a free (VoIP) national telephone number i.e. in Poland
or Germany for free (you need a SIP program or gateway). The only thing
you pay for are outgoing calls of course.

Basically, what I want, is for people/friends from Greece which don't
use computers or have no idea what VoIP is, to be able to reach me via a
regular Greek telephone number.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

Theo Markettos

Tomasz Chmielewski <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> $10, just for a VoIP number, a month? It is expensive to me.

Oh yes, I'm not saying it's cheap in real terms. It's just a lot cheaper
than anything else I found.

> Also, you can get a free (VoIP) national telephone number i.e. in Poland
> or Germany for free (you need a SIP program or gateway). The only thing
> you pay for are outgoing calls of course.

Well, yes, but not every country is like that. It's not necessarily a good
place to be, but it's where things are at the moment.

I'm not up-to-date with the state of telecomms deregulation in Greece, so
I'm not sure where the charges are coming from. xxx1 numbers (eg 211, 2311)
are registered to telcos who aren't OTE, so there may be more freedom now
numbering has been relaxed.

> Basically, what I want, is for people/friends from Greece which don't
> use computers or have no idea what VoIP is, to be able to reach me via a
> regular Greek telephone number.

Quite a number of VOIP providers have an accesscode system... they dial the
local number, then enter your VOIP account number, then are connected. That
doesn't cost anything, but you have to explain to your callers what to do.
Some have an Athens/Thessaloniki access number, though I couldn't recommend
one.

Theo

asterix7 asterix7 is offline
Junior Member

Theo check out viva.gr they provide greek telephone number with just 1euro/month.
I am using them without problems for the last 2 months.
They also provide voicemail and fax2mail services.
Try them i am sure that a viva number will fulfill your needs

Yannis7 Yannis7 is offline
Junior Member

Hi Tomasz

If you're looking for low cost calls from Greece to the UK, you don't necessarily need VOIP.

With providers such as Klisiexo you can call the UK from Greece for 1cent/min without needing to pay a monthly fee.

And you can use it from any Greek mobile or landline, so easier than VOIP too. I've been using them for a few months now and it's great. See klisiexo.gr