Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > what's my MCSE 2003 worth?

what's my MCSE 2003 worth?

Bruce Langston

I got MCSE 2003 four or five years ago. I have used it on and off but have
more real world experience and grey hairs to prove it. I've recently started
looking for a new job after being employed for 25 years.

I spoke to a local reseller/integrater and he said he didn't have anything
for me but asked me to send my resume so he could forward. I sent it, and he
called me right back. "I didn't realize you have an MCSE. I can use that."
I went and talked to him. He doesn't have much work but wants to associate my
MCSE to his partnership to maintain his Gold standing with Microsoft.

He seems above board and wants to pay me for my time and value. What is the
value of my MCSE to this guy? I guess I could ask him (that would be novel)
what he thinks it's worth...

But if I get a job that needs my MCSE, I'll take it back. How do I charge
him? I realize it could be based on the value to him... but what he says $1?

LarryWestMCSD

Bruce:
You will always "keep your MCSE." Just because you sign-on with a Gold
Certified Partner, doesn't mean that he takes your MCSE from you like a
prostitute with a passport. You don't need to "take it back" because you will
always have it.

Microsoft always requires Gold Certified Partners to have at least two
certified people on staff to maintain the Gold status. Apparently, this
person's second certified person had changed jobs since the last Partner
renewal. I would ask him why?

I would especially find out if he only keeps certified people on during the
renewal process, then lets them go after he re-earns the Gold certification.
If this is the case, I would notify the Microsoft Partnership Program that
someone is mis-using the system [especially if he only offers you a dollar].
Part of the reason for the requirement is to help people like you and me get
and keep employment.

In regards to the monetary value, someone else will have to help you on that
one -- I don't know.

Best wishes on whatever you decide to do.
--
Larry J. West, MCSD, MCPD, MCITP, MCTS x8, MCSA, MOS x2, FLMI, ACS
* looking for a first-shift position within 200 miles of Louisville, KY.

"Bruce Langston" wrote:

> I got MCSE 2003 four or five years ago. I have used it on and off but have
> more real world experience and grey hairs to prove it. I've recently started
> looking for a new job after being employed for 25 years.
>
> I spoke to a local reseller/integrater and he said he didn't have anything
> for me but asked me to send my resume so he could forward. I sent it, and he
> called me right back. "I didn't realize you have an MCSE. I can use that."
> I went and talked to him. He doesn't have much work but wants to associate my
> MCSE to his partnership to maintain his Gold standing with Microsoft.
>
> He seems above board and wants to pay me for my time and value. What is the
> value of my MCSE to this guy? I guess I could ask him (that would be novel)
> what he thinks it's worth...
>
> But if I get a job that needs my MCSE, I'll take it back. How do I charge
> him? I realize it could be based on the value to him... but what he says $1?

John R

"Bruce Langston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I got MCSE 2003 four or five years ago. I have used it on and off but have
> more real world experience and grey hairs to prove it. I've recently
> started
> looking for a new job after being employed for 25 years.
>
> I spoke to a local reseller/integrater and he said he didn't have anything
> for me but asked me to send my resume so he could forward. I sent it, and
> he
> called me right back. "I didn't realize you have an MCSE. I can use
> that."
> I went and talked to him. He doesn't have much work but wants to associate
> my
> MCSE to his partnership to maintain his Gold standing with Microsoft.
>
> He seems above board and wants to pay me for my time and value. What is
> the
> value of my MCSE to this guy? I guess I could ask him (that would be
> novel)
> what he thinks it's worth...
>
> But if I get a job that needs my MCSE, I'll take it back. How do I charge
> him? I realize it could be based on the value to him... but what he says
> $1?

Larry put it a little more politely than I would. I'd tell him I'd be happy
to associate my MCSE with his company in return for at least $7K/month, full
health benefits, 3 weeks paid vacation, 401K, LTD and pre-paid life
insurance for the next 12 months. It would of course be his option to throw
in a company car. However, if he had some work for me during that time, I'd
be happy to do it utilizing a 40 hour work week (oh, salary non-exempt).
I'd even do the work at his location if he felt strongly about it.

John R

Bruce Langston

John and Larry,

Thanks for the feedback. I know that my cert is mine and no one can "have"
it, and I don't have to "take" it back. Poor choice of words. These
comments were all intended in the context of "associating" my credential with
his company.

He didn't tell me $1. I just used that as a worst case scenario example.

Of course, I have the power here, because he needs to renew on April 30.

"John R" wrote:

> "Bruce Langston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I got MCSE 2003 four or five years ago. I have used it on and off but have
> > more real world experience and grey hairs to prove it. I've recently
> > started
> > looking for a new job after being employed for 25 years.
> >
> > I spoke to a local reseller/integrater and he said he didn't have anything
> > for me but asked me to send my resume so he could forward. I sent it, and
> > he
> > called me right back. "I didn't realize you have an MCSE. I can use
> > that."
> > I went and talked to him. He doesn't have much work but wants to associate
> > my
> > MCSE to his partnership to maintain his Gold standing with Microsoft.
> >
> > He seems above board and wants to pay me for my time and value. What is
> > the
> > value of my MCSE to this guy? I guess I could ask him (that would be
> > novel)
> > what he thinks it's worth...
> >
> > But if I get a job that needs my MCSE, I'll take it back. How do I charge
> > him? I realize it could be based on the value to him... but what he says
> > $1?

> Larry put it a little more politely than I would. I'd tell him I'd be happy
> to associate my MCSE with his company in return for at least $7K/month, full
> health benefits, 3 weeks paid vacation, 401K, LTD and pre-paid life
> insurance for the next 12 months. It would of course be his option to throw
> in a company car. However, if he had some work for me during that time, I'd
> be happy to do it utilizing a 40 hour work week (oh, salary non-exempt).
> I'd even do the work at his location if he felt strongly about it.
>
> John R

John R

"Bruce Langston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John and Larry,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I know that my cert is mine and no one can
> "have"
> it, and I don't have to "take" it back. Poor choice of words. These
> comments were all intended in the context of "associating" my credential
> with
> his company.
>
> He didn't tell me $1. I just used that as a worst case scenario example.
>
> Of course, I have the power here, because he needs to renew on April 30.

I guess then that it is up to you. Do you want your hard earned credential
to be "associated" with his company so that he gets to call himself a
"Microsoft Gold Partner" to his customers while you may or may not get a
bone thrown your way?

Personally, I would not do it without commitment from him. My MCSE is
associated with my employer, but he paid for all my training materials and
testing fees and I have been employed by him for a long-long time. I think
*that* is the proper way to do it.

Good Luck to you, whatever you decide.

John R

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Bruce Langston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John and Larry,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I know that my cert is mine and no one can
> "have"
> it, and I don't have to "take" it back. Poor choice of words. These
> comments were all intended in the context of "associating" my credential
> with
> his company.
>
> He didn't tell me $1. I just used that as a worst case scenario example.
>
> Of course, I have the power here, because he needs to renew on April 30.

Let me reiterate the point John R has made.

As a Microsoft Registered Partner, and MCP, who would *love* to be a
Microsoft Certified Partner, but for lacking another Microsoft Certified
*EMPLOYEE* -- it would be unethical, not to mention probably hazardous to my
partner standing and probably criminal fraud, for me to "pay" another person
for the purpose of listing them as an employee when they're not actually
such.

The intent of the Microsoft Certified (Gold) Partner program is for partners
to have *certified staff* doing work. This is a credential that Microsoft
creates to engender trust in partners for the Microsoft customers employing
them to do work critical to the success of their business. Paying a person
for merely listing their name on a partner application to obtain benefits
and classifications they're not otherwise entitled to is not something I'd
want to have any part of -- and I would suggest nobody else should either.
Furthermore, I wouldn't trust such a person with any aspect of my career --
obviously this person is more interested in "using" your MCSE status to
further (or maintain) his partner credentials, than he is in getting you
legitimate work -- and as a partner, if I ever found out a competitor had
lied to Microsoft to obtain credentials they're not entitled to -- you can
bet I'd be complaining as loud as possible.

Now, to take John's point a bit farther.. if he's willing to put you on the
payroll at a SALARY commensurate with your certification and experience
($84k/year sounds about right), and then let you 'sit on the bench' while
his sales/marketing team drums up some work for you to do -- that's
perfectly legitimate. Shucks, it would even be legit for him to require you,
as part of your job description, to gen up some of your own work in the name
of the company. The key point here being the intent to actually do some work
in the name of the company.

However paying you a FEE for listing you as an employee when you're not, and
never will be, is fraud, plain and simple, and you, being a willing
co-consipirator in that scheme to defraud, may also be liable for civil and
criminal penalities.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

TBone

And on the eigth day <(E-Mail Removed)> did cause
the electrons to come together and form the following words:

> He seems above board and wants to pay me for my time and value. What
> is the value of my MCSE to this guy? I guess I could ask him (that
> would be novel) what he thinks it's worth...

Not only from a marketing standpoint, depending on the organization it
could be worth a lot more. Gold partners get lots of free MS licenses
that could suddenly go "poof" if they don't maintain their membership
level.

> But if I get a job that needs my MCSE, I'll take it back. How do I
> charge him? I realize it could be based on the value to him... but
> what he says $1?

As an employee of a Gold Partner I can tell you that they can't add you
without your permission. You have to reply to a confirmation email to
get your MCP ID associated with their organization. So don't worry about
that. OF greater concern is the ethical dilemna, but that has already
been outlined.

-------

T-Bone
MCNGP XL

John R

"Bruce Langston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I got MCSE 2003 four or five years ago. I have used it on and off but have
> more real world experience and grey hairs to prove it. I've recently
> started
> looking for a new job after being employed for 25 years.
>
> I spoke to a local reseller/integrater and he said he didn't have anything
> for me but asked me to send my resume so he could forward. I sent it, and
> he
> called me right back. "I didn't realize you have an MCSE. I can use
> that."
> I went and talked to him. He doesn't have much work but wants to associate
> my
> MCSE to his partnership to maintain his Gold standing with Microsoft.
>
> He seems above board and wants to pay me for my time and value. What is
> the
> value of my MCSE to this guy? I guess I could ask him (that would be
> novel)
> what he thinks it's worth...
>
> But if I get a job that needs my MCSE, I'll take it back. How do I charge
> him? I realize it could be based on the value to him... but what he says
> $1?

FYI, you can remove and/or change your association at any time at this
link....
https://partner.microsoft.com/Indone...ncies/40001301

John R

Consultant