Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Virtualized Windows XP coming to Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate users

Virtualized Windows XP coming to Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate users

Dave Doe

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/v...-xp-coming-to-
windows-7-professional-and-ulti

Color us intrigued. The gang at SuperSite for Windows have revealed what
they know about a pretty awesome Windows 7 feature: XP Mode, a
virtualized copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3. It'll reportedly be
a free download for Professional and Ultimate Edition users, a shame it
won't be coming to all versions. Unlike many other Virtual PC options,
the environment won't require a separate workspace so you can run the
individual apps as you would alongside those native to 7 -- in the
example pictured, that's Word 2003 in XP mode next to Word 2007. It all
sounds vaguely similar to the XP compatibility mode found in Vista, but
if we're understanding this right, XPM should make legacy compatibility
much less of a hassle. We haven't heard any reports of it being found in
the leaked Release Candidate build, so if you're antsy to get a glimpse
now, hit up the read link for a gallery.

--
Duncan

Gordon

On 2009-04-26, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/v...-xp-coming-to-
>> windows-7-professional-and-ulti

>> Color us intrigued. The gang at SuperSite for Windows have revealed what
>> they know about a pretty awesome Windows 7 feature: XP Mode, a
>> virtualized copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3. It'll reportedly be
>> a free download for Professional and Ultimate Edition users, a shame it
>> won't be coming to all versions. Unlike many other Virtual PC options,
>> the environment won't require a separate workspace so you can run the
>> individual apps as you would alongside those native to 7 -- in the
>> example pictured, that's Word 2003 in XP mode next to Word 2007. It all
>> sounds vaguely similar to the XP compatibility mode found in Vista, but
>> if we're understanding this right, XPM should make legacy compatibility
>> much less of a hassle. We haven't heard any reports of it being found in
>> the leaked Release Candidate build, so if you're antsy to get a glimpse
>> now, hit up the read link for a gallery.

> Wow, sounds almost like what Apple did by allowing old 68K software to
> run seemlessly on PPC, OS9 Apps to run in OSX, and PPC code to run on
> Intel based Macs. This "awsome feature" was done 10 years ago.

Yes, but who remembers? MS once again is marketing technology, as Apple has
done. Nothing new, just a new cover

news2.thing@gmail.com

On Apr 26, 2:27*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/v...-xp-coming-to-
> windows-7-professional-and-ulti

> Color us intrigued. The gang at SuperSite for Windows have revealed what
> they know about a pretty awesome Windows 7 feature: XP Mode, a
> virtualized copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3. It'll reportedly be
> a free download for Professional and Ultimate Edition users, a shame it
> won't be coming to all versions. Unlike many other Virtual PC options,
> the environment won't require a separate workspace so you can run the
> individual apps as you would alongside those native to 7 -- in the
> example pictured, that's Word 2003 in XP mode next to Word 2007. It all
> sounds vaguely similar to the XP compatibility mode found in Vista, but
> if we're understanding this right, XPM should make legacy compatibility
> much less of a hassle. We haven't heard any reports of it being found in
> the leaked Release Candidate build, so if you're antsy to get a glimpse
> now, hit up the read link for a gallery.
>
> --
> Duncan

I working URL would be nice.

regards

Thing

news2.thing@gmail.com

On Apr 27, 1:15*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2:27*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/v...-xp-coming-to-
> > windows-7-professional-and-ulti

> > Color us intrigued. The gang at SuperSite for Windows have revealed what
> > they know about a pretty awesome Windows 7 feature: XP Mode, a
> > virtualized copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3. It'll reportedly be
> > a free download for Professional and Ultimate Edition users, a shame it
> > won't be coming to all versions. Unlike many other Virtual PC options,
> > the environment won't require a separate workspace so you can run the
> > individual apps as you would alongside those native to 7 -- in the
> > example pictured, that's Word 2003 in XP mode next to Word 2007. It all
> > sounds vaguely similar to the XP compatibility mode found in Vista, but
> > if we're understanding this right, XPM should make legacy compatibility
> > much less of a hassle. We haven't heard any reports of it being found in
> > the leaked Release Candidate build, so if you're antsy to get a glimpse
> > now, hit up the read link for a gallery.

> > --
> > Duncan

> I working URL would be nice.
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Dave Doe

In article <4d67424b-5781-4632-8977-fe0f60259f84
@w35g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Apr 26, 2:27*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/v...-xp-coming-to-
> > windows-7-professional-and-ulti

> > Color us intrigued. The gang at SuperSite for Windows have revealed what
> > they know about a pretty awesome Windows 7 feature: XP Mode, a
> > virtualized copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3. It'll reportedly be
> > a free download for Professional and Ultimate Edition users, a shame it
> > won't be coming to all versions. Unlike many other Virtual PC options,
> > the environment won't require a separate workspace so you can run the
> > individual apps as you would alongside those native to 7 -- in the
> > example pictured, that's Word 2003 in XP mode next to Word 2007. It all
> > sounds vaguely similar to the XP compatibility mode found in Vista, but
> > if we're understanding this right, XPM should make legacy compatibility
> > much less of a hassle. We haven't heard any reports of it being found in
> > the leaked Release Candidate build, so if you're antsy to get a glimpse
> > now, hit up the read link for a gallery.
> >
> > --
> > Duncan

> I working URL would be nice.

The URL is working.

Here's another working URL (this is nz.comp - you can do it! ...

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/bus.../04/24/coming-
soon-windows-xp-mode-and-windows-virtual-pc.aspx

--
Duncan

Nik Coughlin

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > On Apr 26, 2:27 pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/v...-xp-coming-to-
> > > windows-7-professional-and-ulti
> > >

> > I working URL would be nice.

> The URL is working.
>
> Here's another working URL (this is nz.comp - you can do it! ...
>
> http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/bus.../04/24/coming-
> soon-windows-xp-mode-and-windows-virtual-pc.aspx

I think he's talking about the urls wrapping, it stops them being clickable
in some newsreaders

Copying and pasting the urls works in Firefox however, even if they've
wrapped.

Surrounding the url in angle brackets works for some newsreaders, or you can
tinyurl the links. I now use the preview feature on tinyurl so people don't
have to worry about getting tricked into going somewhere horrible.

<http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/24/virtualized-windows-xp-coming-to-windows-7-professional-and-ulti>
OR
http://preview.tinyurl.com/dg7ahk

<http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/business/archive/2009/04/24/coming-soon-windows-xp-mode-and-windows-virtual-pc.aspx>
OR
http://preview.tinyurl.com/djm9z2

Re: Vista Ultimate 64 bit ----> Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Charlie Russel - MVP Windows 64bit 7 09-10-2009 01:12 AM
Python memory management <-> virtualized server environments gravityzoo-dmo Python 1 08-25-2009 07:54 AM
Virtualized VPN Chris White MCSE 2 01-29-2009 06:02 PM
New Releases: Ultimate Rambo, Ultimate Oliver Stone & More 2 packs: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists Doug MacLean DVD Video 0 09-10-2004 04:34 AM
XP professional vs. WINDOWS 2000 Professional Harold Microsoft Certification 4 12-15-2003 03:04 PM

Advertisments