Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Avast vs Avira

Avast vs Avira

zvnteq7

Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
expert opinions from here

Mike Easter

zvnteq7 wrote:
> Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
> expert opinions from here

Better how?

The popular free AVs are very similar in effectiveness and resource usage.
The business about AV comparatives studies isn't all that much different.
It really comes down to the interface features and likes and dislikes.

There are some people who are real fans of freeware who recommend paying
for the AV.

.... and, some of the payware AVs which were on everyone's sh*tlist not so
long ago are rising in reputation again.

--
Mike Easter

Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

zvnteq7 wrote in news:gt064f$amh$(E-Mail Removed):

> Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
> expert opinions from here

You need to ask this question in the right group.

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will
scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will
refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something
which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he
will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is
explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

Centre Parting

Mike Easter wrote:
> zvnteq7 wrote:
>> Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
>> expert opinions from here

Avira doesn't turn booting up into a week-long epic and has a small resource
footprint.

> Better how?
>
> The popular free AVs are very similar in effectiveness and resource
> usage. The business about AV comparatives studies isn't all that much
> different. It really comes down to the interface features and likes
> and dislikes.
>
> There are some people who are real fans of freeware who recommend
> paying for the AV.
>
> ... and, some of the payware AVs which were on everyone's sh*tlist
> not so long ago are rising in reputation again.

Evan Platt

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 00:51:11 +0100, "Centre Parting"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mike Easter wrote:
>> zvnteq7 wrote:
>>> Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
>>> expert opinions from here

>Avira doesn't turn booting up into a week-long epic and has a small resource
>footprint.

I use Avast, and my computer doesn't take a week to boot up.

Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

zvnteq7 wrote in news:gt07lu$lld$(E-Mail Removed):

> Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries wrote:
>> zvnteq7 wrote in news:gt064f$amh$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna
>>> hear expert opinions from here

>> You need to ask this question in the right group.
>>

> alt.usenet.kooks?

alt.comp.virus, which is where your reply went...in case you wondered.

--

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 00:51:11 +0100, "Centre Parting"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Mike Easter wrote:

>> Avira doesn't turn booting up into a week-long epic and has a small
>> resource footprint.

> I use Avast, and my computer doesn't take a week to boot up.

Try it vs. a clean install on the same machine.
Then get back to me.

alan

"philo" wrote
>... The Avast update process is much smoother than AVG's so I switched. ...

I use AVG and never perceived its update process to be anything other than
"smooth". I can either schedule it automatically with no interference with
other processes, or do it manually in about 30 seconds. How is Avast's
update process any "smoother" than that? Just curious . . .

1D10T

"Centre Parting" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Try it vs. a clean install on the same machine.
> Then get back to me.

I've done that comparing Avast!, Avira, McAfee and Norton. Boot-time of new
clean XP Pro install is 22 seconds, with Avast!, 33, Avira, 39, McAfee 44,
Norton, 1:28. All with boot-time scanning off. Not opinions, just repeated
results. BTW - what's the race about for quick boot-times? Hit the power
switch, start a pot of coffee, pour a glass of OJ, go back to the desk and
voila!

VanguardLH

zvnteq7 wrote:

> Which is better? Avast or Avira, I have googled yes, but I wanna hear
> expert opinions from here

Depends. Are you asking about the free or payware versions?

If free, Avast is better because it keeps almost all of its features
whereas the free version of Avira does not include the web shield and
drive-by detection. The free Avast does not include the script blocker
(a stacked handler for the script interpreter). Other functions not in
the free "Home" version of Avast are for enterprise features that don't
reduce the protection level of the free product. Avast includes a
boot-time scan option that isn't available in Avira. Avast includes URL
blocking in their web shield which is very handy to block certain
domains from showing their content in web pages. I use it to get rid of
ads (instead of using an ad-blocker program), including those
intellitext ads (where they popup when you hover over a double
underlined word in a web page). However, you could do the same with
Avira by using OpenDNS as your DNS server (instead of the one from your
ISP) but there is a limit of 50 blocked domains in a free OpenDNS
account. Free Avira doesn't include an e-mail scanner but the
recommendation is to not use one so Avast having it in their free
version is a wash (except their Outlook add-on works quite well).

If paid, Avira would probably be better. The free version is mild
nagware in that they shove a "Pro" promo window in your face during
updates; however, there are current methods that are know to get rid of
this nuisance (along with the load-time banner window) but that doesn't
mean they will continue to work in the future. Avast has an option to
not display the update progress at all, or an option to not display it
when an application is running fullscreen, like a game. I don't recall
the same option in Avira but then I haven't used it for a few months.

If you get the paid version of Avira, I'm not that I'd waste time or
memory on their firewall included in their suite bundle. At that point,
I'd probably use either the Comodo or TallEmu Online Armor firewall
(both free) which include HIPS that gives me excellent control over what
can load into memory and can get a connection and even track permission
to the parent of the child process that actually makes the connection.

Typically Avira and Avast are at the top of the list for pest detection
with Avira usually inching a percentage point higher than Avast. Avira
used to have more false positives than Avast but it appears they reduced
that nuisance.

I did run into a problem that has been reported by Avira users for over
2 years. After installation and when active, Avira may repeatedly
access your external drives, like your floppy drive. Apparently Avira
doesn't understand the difference between querying a drive device and
actually accessing its media. The problem stems from other utilities
that will query devices. When you run Nero or other CD/DVD burning
software, it polls the devices to see what are currently available for
use. SMART utilities will poll your drives. Speedfan polls drives
(because it uses SMART to report those stats). Once a process queries a
drive, and because Avira interprets it as an access instead of a query,
Avira will retouch the floppy drive once every 60 to 65 seconds. It can
become quite nuisancesome to keep hearing the buzz noise when your
floppy gets accessed every minute. This doesn't happen on all hosts but
it does happen. So watch for it if you go with Avira. In the over 2
years that this problem has been reported, Avira hasn't fixed it yet.