Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wait for Windows 7 or go Mac?

Wait for Windows 7 or go Mac?

Fred

A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop. I Have
not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a miss, so should I
wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never had anything to do with
Apple - and no real urgency. Any suggestions?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

> Fred wrote:
>> A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop.
>> I Have not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a
>> miss, so should I wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never
>> had anything to do with Apple - and no real urgency. Any
>> suggestions?
>>

> Wait for windows7 but don't expect wonders. In the meantime, try out
> (and maybe get used to) linux. You can try out a live-cd or -dvd (but
> you have to expect slow booting) or try out to install linux on a
> flashdrive - it is portable like a livecd but will start faster. With
> a overlay filesystem on a 2nd partition, you can even keep updates
> and save your data.

Further to that, Fred, try the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. If you want
the Long Term Support version, get 8.04; if you want bleeding edge, 9.04
(shorter support term) was just introduced. The price, by the way, is a
whopping $0.00, and so is all the software nearly all normal individuals
would need.

http://ubuntu.com/

--
-bts

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:

> Further to that, Fred, try the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. If you
> want the Long Term Support version, get 8.04; if you want bleeding
> edge, 9.04 (shorter support term) was just introduced. The price, by
> the way, is a whopping $0.00, and so is all the software nearly all
> normal individuals would need.
>
> http://ubuntu.com/

...and to lend some substance, I just found this article about 9.04:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10226746-92.html

--
-bts

philo

wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
> Fred wrote:
>
>> A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop. I
>> Have not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a miss, so
>> should I wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never had anything to
>> do with Apple - and no real urgency. Any suggestions?
>>

> Wait for windows7 but don't expect wonders.
> In the meantime, try out (and maybe get used to) linux. You can try out a
> live-cd or -dvd (but you have to expect slow booting) or try out to install
> linux on a flashdrive - it is portable like a livecd but will start faster.
> With a overlay filesystem on a 2nd partition, you can even keep updates and
> save your data.

I agree...either use Linux or go with a MAC

Vista is really not the way to go...and I doubt it Windows 7 is going to
be any better.

Though I've been using Linux at least part time for many years...
I have been running Linux as my main OS this year and the newest version
of Windows I'll ever use will be XP

Tony

I myself would try one of those lite versions or improved versions of vista. You
know it's amazing what some people offer on those warez groups. I've tried the
lite version of vista ultimate and it's about 6,733 times better than Vista SP1
64 bit. I wouldn't buy a mac because apple will probably go bankrupt in a couple
of years' time. I just got short the stock on Friday and soon i'll be wealthier.
The ipod will go the way of the do-do bird the mac will only be remembered as a
hamburger at McDonalds and the iphone will be remembered as eyephony. The whole
company is as phony as a counterfeit two dollar bill.

Fred wrote:

> A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop. I Have
> not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a miss, so should I
> wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never had anything to do with
> Apple - and no real urgency. Any suggestions?

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

realm of understandability

catchme

Fred wrote:
> A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop. I Have
> not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a miss, so should I
> wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never had anything to do with
> Apple - and no real urgency. Any suggestions?

i hear that windows 7 is just a bug- fix version of vista, having the
same anti- privacy features and appearing cosmetically similar.

catchme

Tony wrote:
> I myself would try one of those lite versions or improved versions of vista. You
> know it's amazing what some people offer on those warez groups. I've tried the
> lite version of vista ultimate and it's about 6,733 times better than Vista SP1
> 64 bit. I wouldn't buy a mac because apple will probably go bankrupt in a couple
> of years' time. I just got short the stock on Friday and soon i'll be wealthier.
> The ipod will go the way of the do-do bird the mac will only be remembered as a
> hamburger at McDonalds and the iphone will be remembered as eyephony. The whole
> company is as phony as a counterfeit two dollar bill.

people have been saying apple will go bankrupt since '96....
and Gil Amelio almost made certain that would happen.
Enter Steve Jobs 2.0 and he saved his old company, and *nearly* silenced
his critics.
Now that he has cancer.....?

Mike Easter

Fred wrote:
> A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop.

What do you mean, exactly? What hardware is the old LT and why -
specifically - does it need to be upgraded?

That is, why exactly do you need hardware upgrading?

--
Mike Easter

Leythos

In article <m2EIl.84720$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Fred wrote:
> > A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop. I Have
> > not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a miss, so should I
> > wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never had anything to do with
> > Apple - and no real urgency. Any suggestions?
> >

> i hear that windows 7 is just a bug- fix version of vista, having the
> same anti- privacy features and appearing cosmetically similar.

If you have to ask, then go MAC.

drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
(E-Mail Removed) (remove 999 for proper email address)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Fox in the COLA Hen House wrote:

> Fred wrote:
>> A long term satisfied XP user, but it's time to update my old laptop.
>> I Have not heard many good reports about Vista so will give it a
>> miss, so should I wait for Windows 7 - or jump ship to Mac. Never
>> had anything to do with Apple - and no real urgency. Any
>> suggestions?

> If Vista is good enough for the USAF, then it's good enough for me. I
> have had no problems none in using Vista. And I'll have no problems
> when I get to Windows 7 either.
>
> http://www.robins.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123133349

"The need to migrate to Vista is driven by the need to ensure we have a
secure processing environment," said Tena Dominy, 78th Communications
Group deputy director [because] "Microsoft has said it will stop
supporting XP by the end of this year."

Yes, get to be a botnet participant in 20 minutes instead of just 12.
<lol> Perhaps the USAF will join the French Naval Air Force...

<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/4547649/French-fighter-planes-grounded-by-computer-virus.html>

--
-bts
-Putting anti-virus software on an MS Windows computer is like