Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > File transfer through OBEX protocol

File transfer through OBEX protocol

Deepika

Hi
I am trying to develop a Win32 OBEX client where i have to format the file
to be transferred using OBEX protocol.
I need to parse the OBEX header and transfer the file.
1) First thing i want to know about its feasibility in Winodws XP.
2) Secondly are there any API or libraries which can be used to develop the
client?
I am not sure from where to start.
I have a file with .vcard extension to tranfer.
Please provide some help and suggestions.

Pavel A.

Deepika wrote:
> Hi
> I am trying to develop a Win32 OBEX client where i have to format the file
> to be transferred using OBEX protocol.
> I need to parse the OBEX header and transfer the file.
> 1) First thing i want to know about its feasibility in Winodws XP.
> 2) Secondly are there any API or libraries which can be used to develop the
> client?
> I am not sure from where to start.
> I have a file with .vcard extension to tranfer.
> Please provide some help and suggestions.

Please use microsoft.public.win32.programmer.networks
- which is a development NG. (added)

Regards,
--pa

smlunatick

On Apr 24, 1:24*pm, Deepika <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> I am trying to develop a Win32 OBEX client where i have to format the file
> to be transferred using OBEX protocol.
> I need to parse the OBEX header and transfer the file.
> 1) First thing i want to know about its feasibility in Winodws XP.
> 2) Secondly are there any API or libraries which can *be used to develop the
> client?
> I am not sure from where to start.
> I have a file with .vcard extension to tranfer.
> Please provide some help and suggestions.

OBEX protocol is a transfer protocol within the Bluetooth protocol
stack. I know of four different protocol stacks for Bluetooth. Each
have different functions and features.

Widcomm / Broadcom
IVT Bluesoleil
Toshiba

Microsoft Bluetooth (starting with SP2) -- Extremely limited due to
Microsoft plans.

Also, you must know OBEX is very popular with cellphones but several
cell carriers purposely "turn off" the Bluetooth "features" of their
"subsidized" cellphones. They wish to force their cell service
subscribers to use their "cellphone service" minutes for most
transfers. The carriers can charge an service fee for these
transfers.

Note: Subsidized cellphone == The true price for the cellphone is
extremely discounted ($32.00) because the cell carrier will make up
the difference on the service plans.