Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: forum admin needs help

Re: forum admin needs help

dorayme

In article <dkhIl.151279$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com>,
"Woody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi. I'm the content admin of an online forum residing on purchased webspace.
> My sidekick, the tech admin, has good computer knowledge but is a novice at
> html, and needs your help.
>
> We created a splash page to act as a portal. I am told that, as a result of
> a truly crappy html editor, the page contains a lot of inappropriate dead
> code. The big problem, however, is that we can't get it the page resize
> automatically to fit various browser windows.
>
> We have asked for help from html-knowledgeable people in our own community
> but they all want to redesign the look of the page to suit their own tastes.
> We like the look of the page just fine if we can just clean up dead code and
> get the page to resize properly.
>
> Kindly provide a brief explanation, or link to an explanation, of how to do
> auto resize.
>
> Alternatively, if you wish to view the page and its code, it's at
> http://chronicsuicidesupport.com.
>
> All assistance much appreciated.

* Use a proper strict doctype right at the top of your HTML doc.

* Ring up your webserver admin and tell the to make sure their server is
configured for your website to deliver a character encoding. Tell them
you want UTF-8. In the meantime stick in

in the <head> of your HTML document.

* Then, read up a bit at

<http://htmldog.com/>

and especially on how to separate content from style:

<http://htmldog.com/guides/htmlbeginner/>

and see if you can get your man to make the doc valid, close tags and
all the stuff you need to do as basic jobs.

If you get *every single bit* of presentational mark up out of the bit
after <body>, even if you have no CSS to substitute, you will have a
greater chance of someone here spending time on it to suggest ways to
put it on a firmer footing.

You cannot just learn to make it auto size any more than you can easily
learn how to turn a frog into a beautiful princess by means other than
kissing it and hoping for the best.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Alternatively, if you wish to view the page and its code, it's at
> > http://chronicsuicidesupport.com.

Also, tell your man not to use *absolute positioning*. It is not for
beginners.

--
dorayme