Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > XP with wireless amnesia

XP with wireless amnesia

Paul Cheetham

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio laptop with Win XP Pro SP2 installed, and I have a
Symbol 4131 wireless access point. The wireless network has been working
for some time, but the laptop is new.
Just to add complication another wireless network has 'appeared' within
the last few days.

Since this other network is wide open, I've been able to find out what
channel is being used and move mine to a different one, as I was having
trouble connecting.
I am now able to connect to my (secured) wireless network OK initially,
but Windows doesn't think I am connected. Because of this Windows keeps
trying to connect, resulting in my IP address being released. I then
have to manually tell it to connect, at which point it goes through the
usual connection procedure before informing me a connection could not be
established. Even though Windows says I am not connected I can get on
the internet and see other PC's on the network.

Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

Thankyou.

Quaoar

Paul Cheetham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Sony Vaio laptop with Win XP Pro SP2 installed, and I have a
> Symbol 4131 wireless access point. The wireless network has been
> working for some time, but the laptop is new.
> Just to add complication another wireless network has 'appeared'
> within the last few days.
>
> Since this other network is wide open, I've been able to find out what
> channel is being used and move mine to a different one, as I was
> having trouble connecting.
> I am now able to connect to my (secured) wireless network OK
> initially, but Windows doesn't think I am connected. Because of this
> Windows keeps trying to connect, resulting in my IP address being
> released. I then have to manually tell it to connect, at which point
> it goes through the usual connection procedure before informing me a
> connection could not be established. Even though Windows says I am
> not connected I can get on the internet and see other PC's on the
> network.
> Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this?
>
> Thankyou.

In Network Connections, disable any that are not being used, especially
the wired onboard NIC.

Quaoar

Paul Cheetham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Sony Vaio laptop with Win XP Pro SP2 installed, and I have a
> Symbol 4131 wireless access point. The wireless network has been
> working for some time, but the laptop is new.
> Just to add complication another wireless network has 'appeared'
> within the last few days.
>
> Since this other network is wide open, I've been able to find out what
> channel is being used and move mine to a different one, as I was
> having trouble connecting.
> I am now able to connect to my (secured) wireless network OK
> initially, but Windows doesn't think I am connected. Because of this
> Windows keeps trying to connect, resulting in my IP address being
> released. I then have to manually tell it to connect, at which point
> it goes through the usual connection procedure before informing me a
> connection could not be established. Even though Windows says I am
> not connected I can get on the internet and see other PC's on the
> network.
> Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this?
>
> Thankyou.

Oops, hit send before finished...

Also, in the Advanced properties, select Infrastructure Only, and
uncheck Automatically connect to non-preferred networks. Then make sure
that your network is the only preferred network.