Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > MCITP - Server 2008

MCITP - Server 2008

Greg

Has anyone got this certification yet? Is it worth getting? From my
knowledge not many businesses are on server 2008 yet ?

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone got this certification yet?

Thousands of people have this certification. The exams were in beta in
December, 2007, and released to the wild in April, 2008.

> Is it worth getting?

That depends. Do you plan to do any work on server systems in the next 5 -
10 years? If so, you're likely going to spend a lot of time working on
Windows Server 2008 systems -- just as anybody who's done any work on server
systems in the past five years has spent a lot of time working on Windows
2000 and Windows Server 2003 systems.

Also, do you have any *experience* working with Windows Server systems? If
so, then I think it's a no-brainer to update those skills to include the new
features of Windows Server 2008.

> From my knowledge not many businesses are on server 2008 yet ?

Does it really make any difference?

In 2001, "not many businesses" had deployed Windows 2000 Server.
In 2004, "not many businesses" had deployed Windows Server 2003.

But today, less than ten years after the release of its replacement, very
few organizations are still using Windows NT -- so it's safe to say that by
2010, "very few" organizations will still be using Windows 2000 Server, and
by 2013, "very few" organizations will still be using Windows Server 2003.

Most organizations want to know the software vendor is still standing behind
the product, so when Microsoft says a version is "no longer supported", most
organizations have since upgraded, or are frantically searching out a way to
make that happen.

Incidentally, being a leader in the community -- having the skills and
certifications *before* most organizations are ready to deploy a product --
is how you get the choice, well-paid positions. Those organizations looking
to deploy Windows Server 2008 systems *now* are in desperate need of persons
who have the full range of skillsets with that product -- and the MCITP:EA
certification goes a long way to documenting that you're a step ahead of the
other thousand applicants -- particularly those who haven't actually ever
worked in an organization with Windows Server 2008 systems deployed.

Five years from now, everybody will have experience with Windows Server
2008, and if you're not already working on learning the next release, you're
behind the curve (again).

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Dustin Harper

Not many businesses are on it yet, but why not update your skills to the
newer technology and be ahead of the curve and be ahead of the other
candidates in the job force. If they haven't updated yet, they will. Server
2008 R2 is upcoming, and your skills will be easily transferrable to that.
I'd say go for it, it is definitely worth getting. A lot of the early
adopters of the MCSE: 2003 certification were wondering the same thing, and
I'm sure they are glad they went for it when they did.

--

Dustin Harper
http://www.mstechpages.com

MCITP: EA and MCITP: SA Polo MCITP 2 07-31-2009 04:46 AM
70-453 Upgrade to MCITP MS SQL Server 2008 Anand MCITP 3 01-11-2009 11:20 PM
MCITP: Database Developer and MCITP: Database Administrator Robert MCITP 7 12-20-2008 08:59 AM
MCITP: SQL Server 2005 or 2008 Joe C. Microsoft Certification 4 09-23-2008 11:44 AM
MCITP SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008 Darrilgibson@gmail.com MCITP 0 12-19-2007 01:56 PM

Advertisments