Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "Keep connection alive" program

"Keep connection alive" program

chuckcar

Martin R. Howell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Could somebody provide a free and effective keep connection alive
> program link for this dial up user? The ones I have tried so far
> don't quite cut it.

They're nonsence. The best way is to *not* install your ISP's software and
manually create a dial-up adapter from scratch. Then you make sure you
have *nothing* running in the background, shorten your phone cord to less
than 10' with no splits in it. If there's still a problem, it's either the
ISP cutting you off - some do, I've seen it happen with a countdown timer
no less - or your phone line that's the problem.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Martin R. Howell

Could somebody provide a free and effective keep connection alive
program link for this dial up user? The ones I have tried so far
don't quite cut it.

Thanks in advance.

Martin R. Howell
Moderated sci.astro.amateur Forum and Arcade
www.moderatedsciastroamateur.org

OldGringo

Two Cents To The Martin R. Howell Post:

Have you tried all of these: http://xrl.in/we

--
Old Gringo
Just West Of Nowhere

thanatoid

wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Could somebody provide a free and effective keep connection
> alive program link for this dial up user? The ones I have
> tried so far don't quite cut it.
>
> Thanks in advance.

There are LOTS. Try some more or get an ISP that doesn't
disconnect you. Jeez.

I was on 33.6 dial-up until 8 months ago so I sympathize, but MY
dumb ISP only cut me off every 8 hrs - I know some do it after 5
minutes of inactivity. So I can't recommend one since I never
needed one, although I /have/ seem some that /seemed/ very good.
I'm sorry I dont; tremember where.

Google for "auto dialup reconnector" opr something and you;ll
get... (well, why not try it 52,300 hits or "keep dial-up
connected" 10,300,000 hits

Here's one, but you have to have a browser with Java enabled
open for it to work. But you don't even have to install it.
http://www.sector101.fsnet.co.uk/keepalive/

This one looks even better:
http://www.topshareware.com/BySoft-S...-Pro-download-
36242.htm

Or you could write a ping script to run automatically every x
minutes to your ISP so they don't think you went to sleep. It
/sounds/ like you'd be capable of doing it.

--
(Originally Posted by Ketxxx on forums.techpowerup.com)
I think you got it a bit backwards, spyware comes free with

thanatoid

"nobody >" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

<SNIP>

****ing Scientologists... Big surprise...

--
(Originally Posted by Ketxxx on forums.techpowerup.com)
I think you got it a bit backwards, spyware comes free with
Vista and is a "product feature".

Evan Platt

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:57:10 -0400, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>One trick I used to use on dialup was to find a webcam somewhere that
>refreshed every minute or so. That seems to trick the ISP into
>thinking you're surfing.

Well, that wouldn't be a webcam if you need to 'refresh' now would it?

If you're going to do that, just use Firefox and a refresh every
plugin.

Tony

They cut you off because you were dumb enough to subscribe to dial-up service
in CanaDUH. Try any other city in any other country in the world and you'll
find out dial-up works perfectly.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

the realm of understandability

Desk Rabbit

Martin R. Howell wrote:
> Could somebody provide a free and effective keep connection alive
> program link for this dial up user?

Ping

Desk Rabbit

chuckcar wrote:
> Martin R. Howell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Could somebody provide a free and effective keep connection alive
>> program link for this dial up user? The ones I have tried so far
>> don't quite cut it.
>>

> They're nonsence. The best way is to *not* install your ISP's software and
> manually create a dial-up adapter from scratch. Then you make sure you
> have *nothing* running in the background, shorten your phone cord to less
> than 10' with no splits in it. If there's still a problem, it's either the
> ISP cutting you off - some do, I've seen it happen with a countdown timer
> no less - or your phone line that's the problem.

ROFL! Priceless, absolutely priceless.

OldGringo

Two Cents To The richard Post:
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 22:12:03 -0500, OldGringo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
>> Two Cents To The Martin R. Howell Post:
>>> Could somebody provide a free and effective keep connection alive
>>> program link for this dial up user? The ones I have tried so far
>>> don't quite cut it.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>>> Martin R. Howell
>>> Moderated sci.astro.amateur Forum and Arcade
>>> www.moderatedsciastroamateur.org

>> Have you tried all of these: http://xrl.in/we

> That link calls ug google.
>
> try using tinyurl.com

I just switched, but when google comes up, just type in Keep dial up
connection alive, and bingo, the information super highway is at your
fingertips. <g> Only knowing the guy is on dial up and nothing else I
would hate to guess as to what might solve his problem. Here's a new
one for me: > http://tinyurl.com/8tmyz