Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Proving you've sent an email

Proving you've sent an email

Greg

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:03:51 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Apr 23, 11:17 am, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Matty F wrote:
>> > Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
>> > Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
>> > information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
>> > All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

>> Not unless you can get the records from the mail server(s) involved.
>> You could contact the postmaster of their domain and your mail server
>> and ask them to confirm. If they aren't too busy and are nice they
>> might look it up for you .

>That's what I thought. It's just a couple of TradeMe people who are
>arguing about emails they say they have sent but have not been
>received.

Stay out of it as these trademe people are all obsessive

Richard

Matty F wrote:
> On Apr 23, 11:17 am, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Matty F wrote:
>>> Is it possible to prove that you sent an email to someone?
>>> Forwarding the message form the outbox doesn't show any header
>>> information other than Date/time sent, From, To & subject.
>>> All of those can be altered, so proves nothing.

>> Not unless you can get the records from the mail server(s) involved.
>> You could contact the postmaster of their domain and your mail server
>> and ask them to confirm. If they aren't too busy and are nice they
>> might look it up for you .

> That's what I thought. It's just a couple of TradeMe people who are
> arguing about emails they say they have sent but have not been
> received.

Trademe users are frequently too stupid to check their ISP mandated spam
filter that isnt accessable in their mail program because they are using
POP3 rather than IMAP.

Anyway, its not worth the problem trying to communicate with them about
things like that. If they did send it and the recipiant didnt respond
there are many other avenues to communicate - sending from another
address, sending a neutral feedback with a please get in touch, etc etc.

Chances are one of them didnt want to do the trade anymore and went into
lets be quiet and hope it all just goes away mode...

Matty F

On Apr 26, 12:37 am, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Matty F wrote:

> > That's what I thought. It's just a couple of TradeMe people who are
> > arguing about emails they say they have sent but have not been
> > received.

> Chances are one of them didnt want to do the trade anymore and went into
> lets be quiet and hope it all just goes away mode...

Amazingly the trade has now been completed and both have removed their
negative feedbacks. Some people don't understand emails and checking
spam folders etc.