Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > logging level

logging level

mmark751969

I've setup a syslog server to monitor the logging on my 1811. I am
wondering if anything beside a logging level of informational is
needed to see the up/down status of my ipsec vpn's. Thanks

bod43

On 22 Apr, 20:42, mmark751969 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've setup a syslog server to monitor the logging on my 1811. *I am
> wondering if anything beside a logging level of informational is
> needed to see the up/down status of my ipsec vpn's. *Thanks

The easy answer is to try it out yourself.

I have tried to follow the Cisco logging documentation
and have failed. Miserably. Very miserably.

mmark751969

On Apr 22, 6:33*pm, bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 22 Apr, 20:42, mmark751969 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I've setup a syslog server to monitor the logging on my 1811. *I am
> > wondering if anything beside a logging level of informational is
> > needed to see the up/down status of my ipsec vpn's. *Thanks

> The easy answer is to try it out yourself.
>
> I have tried to follow the Cisco logging documentation
> and have failed. Miserably. Very miserably.

Yea - i don't want to down vpn's to test it though. I'm getting
encryt/decrypt failures logged. Is that a good indicator that up/down
status would be logged. thanks

mmark751969

On Apr 23, 9:08*am, mmark751969 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 22, 6:33*pm, bod43 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 22 Apr, 20:42,mmark751969<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I've setup a syslog server to monitor the logging on my 1811. *I am
> > > wondering if anything beside a logging level of informational is
> > > needed to see the up/down status of my ipsec vpn's. *Thanks

> > The easy answer is to try it out yourself.

> > I have tried to follow the Cisco logging documentation
> > and have failed. Miserably. Very miserably.
> >

> Yea - i don't want to down vpn's to test it though. *I'm getting
> encryt/decrypt failures logged. *Is that a good indicator that up/down
> status would be logged. *thanks

It doesn't seem that informational is good enough to log this. I just
had one go down and it didn't register in syslog.

bod43

On 26 Apr, 19:32, mmark751969 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 23, 9:08*am, mmark751969 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > The easy answer is to try it out yourself.

> > > I have tried to follow the Cisco logging documentation
> > > and have failed. Miserably. Very miserably.
> > >

> > Yea - i don't want to down vpn's to test it though. *I'm getting
> > encryt/decrypt failures logged. *Is that a good indicator that up/down
> > status would be logged. *thanks

> It doesn't seem that informational is good enough to log this. *I just
> had one go down and it didn't register in syslog.

I was minding my own business the other day, out 'n' about,
when I thought of this thread for some reason. Thought was
that I couldn't recall seeing SA messages in log unless
deb cry ips sa or similar was enabled. We always set log
level to debugging and had a nice big file.

You do know the log level is in each log message?

e.g. from google

%CRYPTO-5-SESSION_STATUS

log level is "5".

My feeling is that memory is fauty, but I thought I would
write anyway