Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ok time to do a partition (system) back up, for real this time.suggestions please

Ok time to do a partition (system) back up, for real this time.suggestions please

squirlchatr@yahoo.com

I've been meaning to do this forever and it's just too much of a
hassle to update windows after reinstalling.

So here I sit with a fully updated reinnstall of win2000 on my
notebook.

I would like a program that is as small as possible that hopefully
doesn't mess with the registry, hopefully can boot
from cd rom.

To copy a C: drive with an NTFS fs partition with the MBR intact and
installed programs and settings intact, to reinstall windows with a
bootable cd.

I have different versions of UBCD but non of the utilities will work
or are limited.

Any suggestions of freeware that does not have adware and junk with
it. Thanks for any suggestions. Oh yea and is easy to use.

PeeCee

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been meaning to do this forever and it's just too much of a
> hassle to update windows after reinstalling.
>
> So here I sit with a fully updated reinnstall of win2000 on my
> notebook.
>
> I would like a program that is as small as possible that hopefully
> doesn't mess with the registry, hopefully can boot
> from cd rom.
>
> To copy a C: drive with an NTFS fs partition with the MBR intact and
> installed programs and settings intact, to reinstall windows with a
> bootable cd.
>
> I have different versions of UBCD but non of the utilities will work
> or are limited.
>
> Any suggestions of freeware that does not have adware and junk with
> it. Thanks for any suggestions. Oh yea and is easy to use.

You need software to create an "Image" of your hard drive.
Acronis True Image is a popular commercial product that is often available
as an 'express' version on magazine CD Roms.
Paragon also produce similar software and similalry available on magazine CD
Roms.

Commercial software available for nothing are the tools available from the
Hard drive manufacturers as a free download.
For example Seagate's Disk Wizard is good for 'migrating' data from an old
to new drive.
Nothing I know of that stops 'migrating' an image from a fresh install back
to the same drive after it gets corrupted.

Freeware tools available include:
DriveImage XML
Macrim Reflect.
SelfImage
etc

Don't forget to use Google
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...meta=&aq=f&oq=

Do remember you will need to manage your personal data in a planned maner so
you don't loose it when you bang the CD in and hit restore.
(ie do your backups)

Best
Paul.

M.L.

>> So here I sit with a fully updated reinnstall of win2000 on my
>> notebook.
>>
>> I would like a program that is as small as possible that hopefully
>> doesn't mess with the registry, hopefully can boot
>> from cd rom.
>>
>> To copy a C: drive with an NTFS fs partition with the MBR intact and
>> installed programs and settings intact, to reinstall windows with a
>> bootable cd.

>> Any suggestions of freeware that does not have adware and junk with
>> it. Thanks for any suggestions. Oh yea and is easy to use.

You're going to have a hard time finding an imager that doesn't make
registry changes.

>Freeware tools available include:
>DriveImage XML
>Macrim Reflect.

Macrium does not support Win 2000.

>SelfImage

Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8.5 Special Edition
Features: Boot CD, incremental backups, can restore individual files
and folders, scheduler
OS: Win NT/98/ME/2000/XP/Vista
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/downloa...isk-manager-se
Paragon Drive Backup Express
Features: Boot CD
Complaints: Cannot restore individual files or folders, no scheduler
OS: Win 2000/XP/Vista
http://www.paragon-software.com/home.../download.html