Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Wifi question

Re: Wifi question

Jeff Strickland

She has a better machine.

I have several computers and a wireless network in my house. My wife's
computer is at the very back of the house, and would drop the connection
frequently. I bought a better network adaptor, and the same network now
works perfectly. None of the connections ever drop -- the router takes a bye
sometimes, and I have to reboot it, but the computers are reliable.

The problem for you is that in my case, the computers are all desktop
machines, and I can open them up to install stuff like network adaptors, you
do not have that ability with your laptop.

You are correct though, if there are two laptops side by side, in theory
they ought to see the network the same. The problem is the design of the
built in network adaptor that the computers have, and the antenna they use.

"j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sktHl.27518$(E-Mail Removed)...
>A friend and I both bought used laptops recently. When I check for wireless
> internet connections I find few and the signals are weak, but her laptop
> finds more and the signals are stronger. My laptop is a Compaq Evo N610
> with
> the wifi device built into the cover of the laptop. Hers is a different
> brand with a built-in wifi device.
>
> Will someone tell me why her laptop picks up wifi signals so much better
> than mine does? Is there something I should check?

tony sayer

In article <gslpta$2u2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jeff Strickland
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>She has a better machine.
>
>I have several computers and a wireless network in my house. My wife's
>computer is at the very back of the house, and would drop the connection
>frequently. I bought a better network adaptor, and the same network now
>works perfectly. None of the connections ever drop -- the router takes a bye
>sometimes, and I have to reboot it, but the computers are reliable.
>
>The problem for you is that in my case, the computers are all desktop
>machines, and I can open them up to install stuff like network adaptors, you
>do not have that ability with your laptop.
>
>You are correct though, if there are two laptops side by side, in theory
>they ought to see the network the same. The problem is the design of the
>built in network adaptor that the computers have, and the antenna they use.

What can be more of a pain is interference with other wi-fi points.
Download netstumbler and that will give you an idea of the number where
you are. Some streets now have almost one in every house!...

--
Tony Sayer

Jeff Strickland

"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <gslpta$2u2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jeff Strickland
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>>She has a better machine.
>>
>>I have several computers and a wireless network in my house. My wife's
>>computer is at the very back of the house, and would drop the connection
>>frequently. I bought a better network adaptor, and the same network now
>>works perfectly. None of the connections ever drop -- the router takes a
>>bye
>>sometimes, and I have to reboot it, but the computers are reliable.
>>
>>The problem for you is that in my case, the computers are all desktop
>>machines, and I can open them up to install stuff like network adaptors,
>>you
>>do not have that ability with your laptop.
>>
>>You are correct though, if there are two laptops side by side, in theory
>>they ought to see the network the same. The problem is the design of the
>>built in network adaptor that the computers have, and the antenna they
>>use.
>>

> What can be more of a pain is interference with other wi-fi points.
> Download netstumbler and that will give you an idea of the number where
> you are. Some streets now have almost one in every house!...
>
> --
> Tony Sayer

Tony's idea is all well and good, but if I understand correctly, the OP has
two machines sitting side by side on a table at Starbucks, one gets a good
signal and the other gets a weak signal. He's asking, why the difference?

Assuming all external factors are the same in a side by side comparison,
then the difference has got to be internal to the two machines being
compared.

Knowing what is out there is certainly useful information, no question about
that.

Baron

Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

> "tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <gslpta$2u2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Jeff Strickland
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>>>She has a better machine.
>>>
>>>I have several computers and a wireless network in my house. My
>>>wife's computer is at the very back of the house, and would drop the
>>>connection frequently. I bought a better network adaptor, and the
>>>same network now works perfectly. None of the connections ever drop
>>>-- the router takes a bye
>>>sometimes, and I have to reboot it, but the computers are reliable.
>>>
>>>The problem for you is that in my case, the computers are all desktop
>>>machines, and I can open them up to install stuff like network
>>>adaptors, you
>>>do not have that ability with your laptop.
>>>
>>>You are correct though, if there are two laptops side by side, in
>>>theory they ought to see the network the same. The problem is the
>>>design of the built in network adaptor that the computers have, and
>>>the antenna they use.
>>>

>> What can be more of a pain is interference with other wi-fi points.
>> Download netstumbler and that will give you an idea of the number
>> where you are. Some streets now have almost one in every house!...
>>
>> --
>> Tony Sayer
>>

> Tony's idea is all well and good, but if I understand correctly, the
> OP has two machines sitting side by side on a table at Starbucks, one
> gets a good signal and the other gets a weak signal. He's asking, why
> the difference?
>
> Assuming all external factors are the same in a side by side
> comparison, then the difference has got to be internal to the two
> machines being compared.

There are marked differences between the sensitivity of different
machines even within the same manufacturer. Unsurprisingly
the "Netbooks" seem to fare better in comparison !

--
Best Reagrds:
Baron.