Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New foto of my small model ship.

New foto of my small model ship.

Alexander Blokhin

http://modelshipsworld.blogspot.com/...ne-pc-553.html

Please see!

John McWilliams

bugbear wrote:
> bugbear wrote:
>> Alexander Blokhin wrote:
>>> http://modelshipsworld.blogspot.com/...ne-pc-553.html
>>>
>>> Please see!

>> The models look pretty good, although it's hard to tell
>> from such poor photographs.

> Try these:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/kdphoto...7615849683870/
> http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/b...ahn/steam.html

The latter set is awesome.

Alexander- What is the purpose of your post?

--
john mcwilliams

Twibil

On Apr 21, 9:51*am, John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/b...ahn/steam.html

> The latter set is awesome.

Problem with most models of European trains is that they make the
wheel flanges circa 5 times over-sized, and as a result they look like
toys even when they're in a well-modeled setting.

See this photo of an American prototype engine for comparison.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3388572...25853/sizes/o/

~Pete

tony cooper

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:51:18 -0700, John McWilliams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>bugbear wrote:
>> bugbear wrote:

>>> The models look pretty good, although it's hard to tell
>>> from such poor photographs.

>> Try these:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/kdphoto...7615849683870/
>> http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/b...ahn/steam.html
>>

>The latter set is awesome.
>
>Alexander- What is the purpose of your post?

Alexander is evidently a quite skilled model maker. He's chosen a
photographic style that evidently, in his opinion, makes the models
look more like real ships than a sharply focussed photo would. The
examples "bugbear" furnished are very sharp and clear, but the result
is that we clearly know we are looking at scale models.

What purpose does Alexander need? He does good work, he's proud of
it, and he wants to share his efforts. What more purpose does anyone
need in sharing photos?

I really don't understand why people - "bugbear", in this case - feel
the need to knock what they don't particularly like. Unless Alexander
asks for a critique and suggested improvements in technique, STFU
unless you have something positive to say.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

John McWilliams

Twibil wrote:
> On Apr 21, 9:51 am, John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/b...ahn/steam.html

>> The latter set is awesome.

> Problem with most models of European trains is that they make the
> wheel flanges circa 5 times over-sized, and as a result they look like
> toys even when they're in a well-modeled setting.
>
> See this photo of an American prototype engine for comparison.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/3388572...25853/sizes/o/

That was a detail I overlooked, but once I saw it, that's all I saw.
Was it for the purpose of keeping the little guys on the little tracks?

--
john mcwilliams

Twibil

On Apr 21, 2:58*pm, John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Twibil wrote:
> >> The latter set is awesome.

> > Problem with most models of European trains is that they make the
> > wheel flanges circa 5 times over-sized, and as a result they look like
> > toys even when they're in a well-modeled setting.

> > See this photo of an American prototype engine for comparison.

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/3388572...25853/sizes/o/

> That was a detail I overlooked, but once I saw it, that's all I saw.
> Was it for the purpose of keeping the little guys on the little tracks?

Yup. Exactly. But it's an un-needed holdover from the days when these
things were toys that ran on cheap track layed on the living-room
carpet.

On decent trackwork, both locos and cars will stay on the rails with
no problems using either scale or very-close-to-scale flanges, and
since the goal is to make the trains look -and behave- as much like
the prototype as possible, smaller flanges have increasingly gained
popularity with scale modelers; at least in the US.

~Pete

John McWilliams

Twibil wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2:58 pm, John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Twibil wrote:
>>> Problem with most models of European trains is that they make the
>>> wheel flanges circa 5 times over-sized, and as a result they look like
>>> toys even when they're in a well-modeled setting.
>>> See this photo of an American prototype engine for comparison.
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/3388572...25853/sizes/o/

>> That was a detail I overlooked, but once I saw it, that's all I saw.
>> Was it for the purpose of keeping the little guys on the little tracks?

> Yup. Exactly. But it's an un-needed holdover from the days when these
> things were toys that ran on cheap track layed on the living-room
> carpet.
>
> On decent trackwork, both locos and cars will stay on the rails with
> no problems using either scale or very-close-to-scale flanges, and
> since the goal is to make the trains look -and behave- as much like
> the prototype as possible, smaller flanges have increasingly gained
> popularity with scale modelers; at least in the US.

So, is there now a mini-industry that grinds the flanges to near scale??

Some layouts I've seen with banked curves, smooth gradients, etc. don't
need the flanges anywhere near that big.

--
John McWilliams

Twibil

On Apr 21, 5:12*pm, John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So, is there now a mini-industry that grinds the flanges to near scale??

Close, but no prize: they sell entire wheel-sets, replacement drivers
for locos, and etcetera.

~Pete

New Foto Tip column by Mark Alberhasky Wayne J. Cosshall Digital Photography 32 12-20-2006 01:24 AM
New Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasy - A Perspective on Lenses Wayne J. Cosshall Digital Photography 27 10-28-2006 04:54 AM
New Foto Tip Wayne J. Cosshall Digital Photography 0 09-16-2006 01:25 AM
New foto forum Ben Digital Photography 2 05-09-2006 08:54 AM
My new small foto-page Stefan Vogel Digital Photography 2 08-01-2004 08:28 AM

Advertisments