Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Gird Your Blogs!

Gird Your Blogs!

Dave U. Random

Under "Cybersecurity", Congress Will Be the Internet's Greatest Threat!

By Brad O'Leary

Gird your blogs, because if liberals in Congress get their way, President
Obama will have sole discretionary authority to shut down the Internet or
critical parts of the Internet should he feel his presidency is being tested.
Worse, under the guise of cybersecurity, Obama will essentially be granted
the power to destroy free speech on the web.

On April 1st of this year, Senators Rockefeller, Snowe, Bayh and Nelson
introduced bills S. 773 and S.778, collectively called the Cybersecurity Act,
which would give President Obama dictatorial power over the Internet during a
time of national crisis or emergency.

All of the bills' sponsors voted for the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of
2002 that prohibited organizations and individuals from running advocacy ads
against candidates 60 days in advance of a general election. Now it seems
these same people have conjured up a gag order for the Internet.

According to the current drafts, under the Cyber Security Act of 2009 the
President may "declare a cybersecurity emergency and order the limitation or
shut down of Internet traffic to and from any comprised federal government or
United States critical infrastructure information system or network". He may
also "order the disconnection of any Federal Government or United States
critical infrastructure information systems or networks in the interest of
national security."

What constitutes "cybersecurity emergency" or "critical infrastructure
information system or network" is left completely up to the President to
define. We know that the Administration, according to Rahm Emanuel, never
wants "a serious crisis to go to waste". We also know the Administration
supports the regulation of free speech on the Internet.

President Obama's choice to lead the powerful Office of Information and
Regulatory Affairs is none other than Cass Sunstein, a radical Harvard law
professor and supporter of the Fairness Doctrine for the Internet. According
to Sunstein, "A system of limitless individual choices, with respect to
communications, is not necessarily in the interest of citizenship and self-
government."

Obama campaign fundraiser and FCC Chair nominee, Julius Genachowski, is a
supporter of "Net neutrality", the first step in applying the Fairness
Doctrine to the Internet.

"Net neutrality" proponents like Genachowski would have government decide
what content Internet operators and network owners must provide. Incredibly,
they claim this is to keep the Internet free and open to all, when in
reality, their goal is to usher the heavy hands of federal regulators into
the tent.

Stifling any venue where ideology competes with left-wing mainstream media
has always been a goal of the left and Obama. Obama has just been more
evasive in his means by supporting policies such as "net neutrality" and
wobbling on the reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine to talk radio. Liberal
members of Congress are now set on sending America on an unconstitutional b-
line away from Uncle Sam and directly to Big Brother.

The Cybersecurity Act is also includes a provision where "The Department of
Commerce shall serve as the clearinghouse of cybersecuirty threat and
vulnerability information to the Federal Government and private sector owned
(emphasis mine) critical infrastructure information systems and networks."
Shelving all privacy laws including the requirement for warrants, the
Secretary of Commerce "shall have access to all relevant data concerning such
networks without regard to any provision of law, regulation, rule or policy
restricting such access." Senator Rockefeller made it clear in his statement
what "relevant data" this act could include when he stated "We must protect
our critical infrastructure at all costs – from our water to our electricity,
to banking, traffic lights and electronic health records – the list goes on."

While we have worried about cyber attacks from Russia and China, who would
have thought the greatest threat would come from members of our own Congress.

Aardvark

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:50:16 +0200, Dave U. Random wrote:

> President may "declare a cybersecurity emergency and order the
> limitation or shut down of Internet traffic to and from any comprised
> federal government or United States critical infrastructure information
> system or network". He may also "order the disconnection of any Federal
> Government or United States critical infrastructure information systems
> or networks in the interest of national security."

Don't panic. This says it most probably doesn't apply to you. It seems to
me to be a perfectly reasonable contingency plan to protect government
systems and all the data they contain.

Evan Platt

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 18:54:13 -0400, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>This law does not concern the entire internet as there is no such
>thing as a simple single switch one could flip to do it with.

But... I thought you could! I mean everyone shares the same IP
address....

>So shut the **** up already.

Practice what you preach.

Aardvark

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 16:06:12 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

>>This law does not concern the entire internet as there is no such thing
>>as a simple single switch one could flip to do it with.

> But... I thought you could! I mean everyone shares the same IP
> address....

Nah. Only 300 of us. There must be a dozen or so other IP addresses the
rest of the world shares.

Morton Davis

"Dave U. Random" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Under "Cybersecurity", Congress Will Be the Internet's Greatest Threat!
>
> By Brad O'Leary

The Internet would just go bootleg.