Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Can't get Intranet ASP Web App to communicate with ASP Web Service?

Can't get Intranet ASP Web App to communicate with ASP Web Service?

Leo Violette

This used to work, but today, it no longer works and I'm not sure why.

I'm running Visual Studio 2005 SP1 with Vista Update to SP1.
I'm on Vista x64.

I created an ASP.NET Web Application and ASP.NET Web Service.

When running my web-site in the debugger, a login dialog pops up when the
web-site attempts to access the Web Service.

In VS, when I go to my application->Web references and attempt to update the
reference it has to my Web Service, it takes a long time and then eventually
says:
[BEGIN MESSAGE]
There was an error download:
'http://localhost/DashboardWebService/BuildManagement.asmx'
The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a
receive.
Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection
was forcibly closed by the remote host.
[END MESSAGE]

I must have some sort of permission issue, but I can't seem to resolve it.
It's like my Virtual Folder permissions got screwed up.

Also, in both my Web App and Web Service web.config, I have the following:
<authentication mode="Windows" />
<authorization>
<deny users="?" />
<!-- Deny anonymous users access -->
</authorization>

Any thoughts????

Mr. Arnold

Leo Violette wrote:
> This used to work, but today, it no longer works and I'm not sure why.
>
> I'm running Visual Studio 2005 SP1 with Vista Update to SP1.
> I'm on Vista x64.
>
> I created an ASP.NET Web Application and ASP.NET Web Service.
>
> When running my web-site in the debugger, a login dialog pops up when
> the web-site attempts to access the Web Service.
>
> In VS, when I go to my application->Web references and attempt to update
> the reference it has to my Web Service, it takes a long time and then
> eventually says:
> [BEGIN MESSAGE]
> There was an error download:
> 'http://localhost/DashboardWebService/BuildManagement.asmx'
> The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a
> receive.
> Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing
> connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
> [END MESSAGE]
>
> I must have some sort of permission issue, but I can't seem to resolve
> it. It's like my Virtual Folder permissions got screwed up.
>
> Also, in both my Web App and Web Service web.config, I have the following:
> <authentication mode="Windows" />
> <authorization>
> <deny users="?" />
> <!-- Deny anonymous users access -->
> </authorization>
>
> Any thoughts????

You should uninstall the update and see if it works again and avoid the
update, IMO

Leo Violette

I found the problem with not being able to update my Web Reference in my Web
App.

In my Web Service, in global.asax, I had code that was throwing an
exception. When I fixed that code, I was then able
to update my Web Service Web Reference in my ASP.NET Web App. I did not
realize that updating the Web Reference,
which regenerates the wsdl file and other files was causing my Web Service
to load. At least that's the only thing that
makes sense to me.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...